Thread: Canon EOS R5 with 8K video! No crop!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Canon EOS R5 with 8K video! No crop! 
    Hey, everybody, so word is that the new Canon R5 mirrorless camera coming out soon will have full frame 8K video with no crop factor which, as we know, has been the sore point for Canonís 4K cameras for a while now. Since thereís no rumors from anybody else with 8K, I wonder if this could be a 5D Mark II level of surprise that changes the industry and a big indicator of whatís to come or rather, what would have come at NAB. What do you all think? Is this the year of affordable 8K? Is Canon going to be having a long and unique lead like they had with the 5D Mark II? What might this move lead us to with RED and DSMC3?

https://photorumors.com/2020/03/13/a...orless-camera/

Without spoiling it. Yes, there will be more 8K cameras in 2020.

However, things have all had and will have delays. Including sadly the R5. I've been eager, super eager, to move into the RF ecosystem since hearing about this camera last year. My 5DsR comes with me nearly everywhere I film.

Sort of a downer, but it's the state of things globally as we play it safe.

RED really is the only company who has a real unique lead in the 8K arena with solutions in both S35 and VV formats. Howevever, in sub-$20K and sub-$10K, expect the party to become bigger. And likely in the big boy cameras too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'm not sure why anyone would think that this camera would have a cropped 8K. I mean, think about how many photo sites they'd have to squeeze onto that thing.

OTOH... Sony already has an 8K S35 sensor. This could be the key feature of the rumoured Fuji X-H2. But the Canon sensor is quoted as 40Mpx or so, which cannot have a cropped 8K.

IMHO the R5 won't change anything. The Panasonic SH1 didn't! What most people actually want, AFAIK, is 4-5K, high bitrate, good DR, 60-120fps at 4K, global shutter.

You must be living in a weird place if you think that 6K or 8K at 30fps is some kind of solution to anything. The EPIC was, truly, the first 4K cinema camera. The R5 is a 4K camera that does 8K at 30fps. Get real, people!
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Without spoiling it. Yes, there will be more 8K cameras in 2020.

However, things have all had and will have delays. Including sadly the R5. I've been eager, super eager, to move into the RF ecosystem since hearing about this camera last year. My 5DsR comes with me nearly everywhere I film.

Sort of a downer, but it's the state of things globally as we play it safe.

RED really is the only company who has a real unique lead in the 8K arena with solutions in both S35 and VV formats. Howevever, in sub-$20K and sub-$10K, expect the party to become bigger. And likely in the big boy cameras too.

So what about Komodo then? ... I know, different camera, different price range, different use. But Cmon, what about Komodo... it can do FF at least at 6k and you still have the RED flavour. Which is very good....

?

"sub 10k." So why get a Komodo then instead of one of these... secret 8K cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    So what about Komodo then? ... I know, different camera, different price range, different use. But Cmon, what about Komodo... it can do FF at least at 6k and you still have the RED flavour. Which is very good....

?

"sub 10k." So why get a Komodo then instead of one of these... secret 8K cameras.

Komodo isn’t full frame first of all so the R5 wins handily in sensor size, it also serves a completely different purpose. Yes you could use Komodo for stills but it will be extremely cumbersome in comparison to the EOS R5. If I’m just shooting stills I’ll take my Nikon D810 over my Helium every time. Apples to Oranges, they’re both cameras but one is oriented to stills and one is oriented to video. It’s nice to have the option of doing stills or video with either camera.

So why get a Komodo then instead of one of these... secret 8K cameras.
    They won't be secret shortly.

But the nature of such clear black and white thought and fickle temperament on "if this camera does this then it must be better" is pretty far off the mark of how the whole camera-ecosystem works.

You need to look deeper at your cameras as they are often greater than the sum of all their parts. Right down to including workflow into the mix.

Komodo will separate itself from the "horde" of all cameras by being global shutter, a very trusted brand with global support, a small/lightweight/compact camera body, RF mount support, PDAF, REDCODE RAW, color science, and likely a host of things we have yet to get full reveals on.

Technology is moving fast now, despite the current global health related stoppages and delays. Every year cameras are getting better. Sometimes several times a year. I often talk to filmmakers who say "I'll wait for this to come next year" and that's a fine mentality if you're saving up cash for a big leap purchase. But many of us film all year and the concept of waiting for a camera isn't exactly how things work if you want to work.

Canon is right now coming back into the fray in rather high stepping stomping style. But if you even keep it to their own ecosystem, much like we've seen with the 1DX MK III for instance, there's reasons you would own the more expensive C500MK II for motion picture production. Actually like a full 2 page list of features.

It's similar to some the questions you've posed on the way to Komodo regarding Helium, but it's fairly clear to see Helium is a more ideal daily driver outside of actually have a very high resolution 8K S35+ sensor.

If there was one "best camera" there wouldn't be all these cameras. I can have unique conversations regardin the best sensor, best on board audio, best etc... That again alludes to you sort of need to take everything into account when looking at camera.

If we're just talking Komodo, I'm on board for these features, which make it a must buy in my world:
    - That new good 6K sensor + image quality that comes with it
    - super small
    - global shutter
    - REDCODE RAW internal
    - all inclusive design (just add batteries, media, lens, and monitor if you want)
    - RF Mount
    - RED color science
    - Developing PDAF Autofocus Support

Most people I know who are really excited about Komodo would just buy one for the Global Shutter alone. I'm sort of in the same space. Any 1 to 3 of these makes it an interesting camera for what I do for a living.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    Komodo isnít full frame first of all so the R5 wins handily in sensor size, it also serves a completely different purpose. Yes you could use Komodo for stills but it will be extremely cumbersome in comparison to the EOS R5. If Iím just shooting stills Iíll take my Nikon D810 over my Helium every time. Apples to Oranges, theyíre both cameras but one is oriented to stills and one is oriented to video. Itís nice to have the option of doing stills or video with either camera.
    It is easily FF with an off the shelf speedbooster.

Good points otherwise.

Thanks Phil too, good points.

Komodo is the bomb but like to keep perspective.

It is easily FF with an off the shelf speedbooster.

Good points otherwise.

Thanks Phil too, good points.

Komodo is the bomb but like to keep perspective.
    A speed booster is just a focal length reducer, reducing the image area covered by a lens made for a larger format. You get exactly the same effect by using a bit wider one stop faster lens of the correct format for the camera. IMO the only reason to use a speed booster is if you need to adapt lenses for a larger format because you own them or they are optically unique, but optical quality will suffer for it.

R5 specs have been announced:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...-lenses/eos-r5

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-an...-canon-eos-r5/

- 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
    - 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
    - 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
    - No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
    - Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
    - Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
    - 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
    - Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.

I really hope Komodo will have a really good autofocus... after playing with canon and sony FX9 the autofocus has come in super handy in one man band shoots on gimbal or handheld...and let's be honest with the recent pandemic it may become more important than ever to keep filming crew small for a while. The R5 looks very promising as much as I hate to admit it. Red still has the advantage of Redcode. Image quality wise competition is getting closer and closer honestly and I know Komodo will have global shutter but we have been filming without it since the R1 and have adapted to that. So RED please make autofocus an important feature on Komodo :-)