Thread: Canon EOS R5 with 8K video! No crop!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob.schwarz View Post
    I bet the R5 @ 8K will have crazy rolling shutter issues. I mean the hellium and Monstro have issues with rolling shutter. When you are scanning that many pixels it bound to happen.
    This camera was meant to come out in time for the Tokyo Olympics. There is a reason it does 8k and 4K/120fps and appears relatively uncrippled compared to previous generations.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the rolling shutter is quite good on this camera for that reason. Sports.

8K 12-bit raw or 422 10bit H265 in DCI or UHD. 45mp 3:2 sensor with 8192x4320/35mp video. Internal 8k>4k full frame downscale up to 30p, as well as uncropped 4k/120fps (no word on if it does that raw). DPAF2 and 3stops IBIS (8 stops with new IS RF lenses). Shipping July 30th with an MSRP of $3900USD.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-09-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    It is easily FF with an off the shelf speedbooster.

Good points otherwise.

Thanks Phil too, good points.

Komodo is the bomb but like to keep perspective.

Speedboosters dies not change anything about sensors or their sizes. What you write above is the same as saying just use a lens that has a smaller projection, shorter focal lenght and higher speed.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    8K 12-bit raw or 422 10bit H265 in DCI or UHD. 45mp 3:2 sensor with 8192x4320/35mp video. Internal 8k>4k full frame downscale up to 30p, as well as uncropped 4k/120fps (no word on if it does that raw). DPAF2 and 3stops IBIS (8 stops with new IS RF lenses). Shipping July 30th with an MSRP of $3900USD.

What do you guys think?
    I think from what we know it looks fantastic. And the R6 is also really impressive (but no raw video afaik). I'm sure the IBIS will be great. Waiting to find out about raw recording limitations in high temperature environments, and rolling shutter.

Global shutter
    Capability for long nonstop recording capability
    Redcode Raw

are probably the main advantages of Komodo over R5

I plan on purchasing both and moving to RF lenses as RED implements (IIRC RF lenses won't be supported initially - correct me if that's wrong) but with IBIS, Canon AF, 8K, and better still functionality, I can see the R5 becoming a daily driver.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Global shutter
    Capability for long nonstop recording capability
    Redcode Raw

are probably the main advantages of Komodo over R5
    Yeah, but IBIS and eye detect DPAF are really useful as well. I'm also looking at a Komodo and a new Canon, but I don't think I'll be able to afford the R5. Am thinking Komodo for raw, long takes, high temp, global shutter. R6 for stills, run and gun, AF, and perhaps low light shooting.

Feeling pretty stupid now. How important is global shutter? Gonna pay $6k for 6k while canon users are paying $4k for 8K AND FULL SENSOR SCALING.

Feeling pretty stupid now. How important is global shutter? Gonna pay $6k for 6k while canon users are paying $4k for 8K AND FULL SENSOR SCALING.
    Don’t feel. There’s Canon Raw and then there’s Redcode raw. From what I saw from the r5 launch video, there’s absolutely nothing to “fear”.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Depends on situations, global shutter can be very important.

Price is a big issue - <$4K for 8K is pretty potent and Canon can afford to put major bang for buck on the body because of volume and their real profit center is the lenses - an area where RED doesn't compete. With the switch to RF mount and the added optical capabilities and lighter weights there will be major sales to existing Canon users for lens upgrades.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

If you need global shutter, there is no substitute... ...well, except maybe 8-stops worth of IS, which would help mitigate a lot of it caused by camera movement (but not subject skew due to action). So, yeah, rolling shutter is still a concern.

I would also like to know if it can do 4k raw internally too (both the 120p mode *and* 8k>4k internal downscale mode). Something tells me it won't... like it seems like a no-brainer, but who knows. I like that it has 24.00 too.

They also didn't mention if it could do 8k raw on the CFExpress, while simultaneously doing 10bit 422 proxies on the SD card (can't the 1DXm3 do that?)

Hell, they didn't mention any of the nitty-gritty; DR, Rolling Shutter, ISO, heat/rec-time... but, yeah, sub-$4k for 8k FF raw is quite nice. Definitely expect there's going to be a lot of hyper-sharp video-looking footage being posted to Vimeo/YouTube though. Lol.

Really curious to see how Sony responds with the A7s3, which is also supposed to be announced soon, too.