Thread: Canon EOS R5 with 8K video! No crop!

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Hot damn! This is very promising.... I have always been a die hard RED fan boy but honestly I am way more excited about the Canon than the Komodo at this point.... Let’s see how Sony responds...

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Don’t feel. There’s Canon Raw and then there’s Redcode raw. From what I saw from the r5 launch video, there’s absolutely nothing to “fear”.
    I “fear” a client not giving a shot about “global shutter” but about footage being either full frame, or more importantly 8K.

Red couldn’t have made Komodo 8k?

What else is RED working on?

At this point I am as I have always been, a fanboy.

Only now it’s true as as others mention Sony will announce the A7s3.

Monstro is 80kbase price? This is barely 4 thousand dollars.

The R5 promotional video by Peter McKinnon is looking good and very inspiring..
    SCARLET-W #004760

I don't think the A7s3 will do internal raw, which is bit of a deal breaker for me (unless it does everything else better... Sony's typically have more DR and arguably better for motion, but man that R5 ticks a lot of boxes.)

What I don't get is that Canon is saying 1tb = 51mins of 8k DCI 30p (so, maybe ~64mins at 24p?). Which is almost the same as Komodo 6k HQ (512gb for 30mins).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-09-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    I “fear” a client not giving a shot about “global shutter” but about footage being either full frame, or more importantly 8K.

Red couldn’t have made Komodo 8k?

What else is RED working on?

At this point I am as I have always been, a fanboy.

Only now it’s true as as others mention Sony will announce the A7s3.

Monstro is 80kbase price? This is barely 4 thousand dollars.
    A lot of our clients still prefer Alexa mini instead of LF just because they can use s35 lenses and that they simply dont want the larger files. So I think 6k or 8k will not really be a water splitter and regarding FF. My prediction is that soon when everyone has a LF arri will realise their 6k s35 camera and if picture quality is improved from their current imager but is more dense then a lot of people will retun to the S35 format.
    Also rolling shutter is a huge deal especially for the field that Komodo is design for, small light weight cameras are often used when camera move fast, action shots etc. Then VFX scenes and not to mention, it looks better I might imagine things but I spot it on every Komodo footage I seen and I think there is plenty of clients that will like the none rolling shutter look as well.

But sure I really dont think Komodo will be the goto camera for rental clients and such. Its a speciality camera as its so small and have its speacial features and then its also a very good camera for owner/operators to own as it simply does not cost much and does not need to much gack around it to produce an image, works with little gimbals etc.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    snip:

A lot of our clients still prefer Alexa mini instead of LF just because they can use s35 lenses and that they simply dont want the larger files. So I think 6k or 8k will not really be a water splitter and regarding FF. My prediction is that soon when everyone has a LF arri will realise their 6k s35 camera and if picture quality is improved from their current imager but is more dense then a lot of people will retun to the S35 format.
    Also rolling shutter is a huge deal especially for the field that Komodo is design for, small light weight cameras are often used when camera move fast, action shots etc. .
    IIRC I saw a video of all the R5 menus and there is specifically a 1.6 crop mode (APS-C or basically S35) something like 5.7K that presumably will be a very common cinema mode for use with the S35 lenses. Good PL adapters are already available. Full frame depth of field is not always desirable and can be difficult for focus. The ability to have full frame when desired, combined with IBIS is a pretty potent capability.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

This camera is going to change the industry FOR SURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Also rolling shutter is a huge deal especially for the field that Komodo is design for, small light weight cameras are often used when camera move fast, action shots etc. Then VFX scenes and not to mention, it looks better I might imagine things but I spot it on every Komodo footage I seen and I think there is plenty of clients that will like the none rolling shutter look as well.

But sure I really dont think Komodo will be the goto camera for rental clients and such. Its a speciality camera as its so small and have its speacial features and then its also a very good camera for owner/operators to own as it simply does not cost much and does not need to much gack around it to produce an image, works with little gimbals etc.

How “bad” do you think speed boosters for ff lenses result in? You mentioned they are not a good choice. But they are the only choice to ff using Komodo...

Game changer for sure. Already sold one of my red cams to make way for it. Just need a light weight gimbal camera at this point and this thing might not even need a gimbal if using rf lenses plus stabilization on sensor. That is seriously badass, what a sick camera, well done Canon!

At this point stoked for useable autofocus as well.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Uh-oh, hasn't even shipped yet and the rumour mill is saying it has overheating issues/record time limitations due to excess heat in 8k, which would basically be a blow-out. Hopefully it's just the prototypes and/or can be fixed via firmware, but that would definitely put a wrench in the gears and make production-level use severely hampered.

On the plus side, it also does a C300m3-style image stabilization internally... In addition to IBIS, there is a "post" IS mode that crops in 10% and gets rid of further jitters on the fly in video modes!
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-09-2020 at 02:17 PM.