Thread: Full cinematography breakdown of a tv commercial shot on red dragon 6k

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Full cinematography breakdown of a tv commercial shot on red dragon 6k 
    Hello filmmakers,

It is my pleasure to invite you for a full bts cinematography breakdown of one of my latest commercial projects that was shot on 2 x 6k red dragons - I am still madly in love with my dragons - does anyone else feel the same. This is a very moody, cinematic driven story and I am sure many of you will find it valuable...feel free to check it out, and in the meantime stay safe, strong and creative...best D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0UMx0E84Fg
    where every single frame counts

www.produkcijastudio.com

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Very cool - thank you for sharing! I learned a few things and it was definitely worth watching. I often wonder how I would light a given project, and while you were explaining, I tried to think along with you, if you know what I mean. The ad itself was terrific - very, very tight! Editing and music were great as well.

The Dragon looks so, so good. What a sensor. The RED team really deserves an A+. I'm surprised that more commercial DPs don't use RED cameras. If I were a DP I wouldn't use anything else - but then again, would I have a say in it?

The Titan tubes may be simple but they worked very, very well. I am curious: in the shot of the host at his desk, while the dolly approaches (see 9:19), what is the reading on his face? I assume a stop under 18% grey. A further question: what was the motivation to soften the backlight in one shot, but not the other? (see 6:13).

When people explain their lighting, I try to focus on the idea, not the specifics. You will excuse me if I did not download the PDF. ;-) For example, I made note of the backlighting on the host. I didn't care what type of light it was, or what it was mounted on. I just paid attention to the idea. Know what is possible, then interpret it in your own way. I loathe the idea of copying other people's set-ups.

Another example: Wally Pfister (DP for the Dark Knight trilogy) said that he overexposed the negative by 5.0 stops for one scene. I did not think, "Oh, I'm going to copy that." Instead, I thought, "It's good to know that I can go that far if I have to." Or, I might think, "I might do something like that in the future."

BTW I think you left the highlighters on the desk in the opening shot! (9:16) :-P
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Please check the submission form. It throws an Error 404.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"