Thread: Imogen / west australia surf film

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Imogen / west australia surf film 

I'm proud to present my newest film on Imogen Caldwell.

Imogen is a 23 year old woman from Red Bluff, Western Australia - one of the remotest regions I've ever traveled to, known for its abundance of perfect waves, Outback dust and treacherous wildlife. Over the course of a year, our adventures took us from her homebreak to the icebergs of Iceland, forrests of France and the jungles of Indonesia.

direct/film/edit: Morgan Maassen

Thanks for putting that one up. It was good to watch and listen to. The whale reminded me of a childhood memory from 1959 of some big crackers pouring over at the Blows south of Red Bluff and a whale in perfect outline showing in one of the wave faces.

When you were visiting Red Bluff, did anyone talk about the 1941 HMAS Sydney HSK Kormoran naval battle west of Shark Bay and two boatloads of survivors from the Kormoran arriving ashore at Cape Cuvier and Red Bluff.

The small sea cave near the campsite at Red Bluff is where Dr. List is said to have buried his Leica camera shortly before the Germans were taken POW by a party from the station. A later search with Dr. List for the camera and its film of the battle did not find the camera.

There has been unsubstantiated speculation that cameraman Hrich may have recanned some 35mm motion picture film of the battle and that it may have been hidden as well.

The thought is that surges from heavy breaks during a storm went through the cave and swept the sandy floor of the cave clean of anything which had been buried and left new sand in its place.

Imogen rips! Always stoked to see your videos. Loved the grading and those landscapes were surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    Thanks for putting that one up. It was good to watch and listen to. The whale reminded me of a childhood memory from 1959 of some big crackers pouring over at the Blows south of Red Bluff and a whale in perfect outline showing in one of the wave faces.

When you were visiting Red Bluff, did anyone talk about the 1941 HMAS Sydney HSK Kormoran naval battle west of Shark Bay and two boatloads of survivors from the Kormoran arriving ashore at Cape Cuvier and Red Bluff.

The small sea cave near the campsite at Red Bluff is where Dr. List is said to have buried his Leica camera shortly before the Germans were taken POW by a party from the station. A later search with Dr. List for the camera and its film of the battle did not find the camera.

There has been unsubstantiated speculation that cameraman Hrich may have recanned some 35mm motion picture film of the battle and that it may have been hidden as well.

The thought is that surges from heavy breaks during a storm went through the cave and swept the sandy floor of the cave clean of anything which had been buried and left new sand in its place.
    i'm hoping to go back this summer - i might have to have a look :)
    what a cool story, thank you for sharing!

really nice film.

I wish I could go surfing now and would not be stuck in my apartment.
    bitframe
    bitframe.at

Filmproduction & Filmservices

Red Gemini + Leica-R Optics.

For Sale:
    RED DSCM 1 Parts - RED ONE Accessories - Leica-R Lenses (please PM me for them)

Nice work! She is sick!
    Looks like you guys had some great adventures.
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Oceanside, CA

Senior Member Adrian Weinbrecht's Avatar
    Hey Morgan

Thanks so much for posting this, I grew up in WA and have surfed most of the West Australian Coast, you’ve totally captured the place. Imogen being a goofy is really well suited to the northern part of WA as there’s a number of notable lefts. Did you have a look at Kalbarri too with Jakes ? The water filming was stunning as was the grade, edit and music. The light and landscape are unmistakable.

I’ve lived in London UK for the last twenty years but was in WA twice last year, you can take the boy out the country but you can’t take the country out of the boy. I’ve still got the scars from surfing the North West, the waves have such thick lips and are crazy powerful.

Thank you thank you thank you

Adrian

Epic
    Jon Shaw ACS

ginclearfilm
    Sydney
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weinbrecht View Post
    Hey Morgan

Thanks so much for posting this, I grew up in WA and have surfed most of the West Australian Coast, you’ve totally captured the place. Imogen being a goofy is really well suited to the northern part of WA as there’s a number of notable lefts. Did you have a look at Kalbarri too with Jakes ? The water filming was stunning as was the grade, edit and music. The light and landscape are unmistakable.

I’ve lived in London UK for the last twenty years but was in WA twice last year, you can take the boy out the country but you can’t take the country out of the boy. I’ve still got the scars from surfing the North West, the waves have such thick lips and are crazy powerful.

Thank you thank you thank you

Adrian
    my pleasure... it truly is the most incredible corner of the world. i shot this last August... i'm utterly desperate to get back now.