Thread: Mattebox handheld question

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mattebox handheld question 
    Hi,

probably a strange question.
    But what makes a mattebox sturdy enough to be used as "handles" or "handle grip"?

I know the O'Connor O box exists for instance. But i've seen people do it with others.

I currently use an old Chrosziel.
    Any way of making a mattebox sturdy enough to be used like that?

Several thoughts for handheld from me.

I prefer not to grip a matte box that is merely clamped on for handheld, however with a PL mount, sturdy lens, and a balanced shoulder rig; totally doable.

Recommendation if you are going this route, use 19mm rods and a rod clamp to secure the matte box as well as clamping to the lens.

A soft donut obviously will have too much play to be useful, got so for the matte box use a clamping ring.

I personally only use 15mm rods for my single rodClaw solution, but you can likely go that route as well.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for the quick reply!

I definitely would only do this with a mattebox attached to rods!

But there's nothing else to watch out for? I mean what is the main stress point to look at?

I remember having a setup with rented material where this would have been ideal, but my 1AC said not with this mattebox.

No problem. I don't know which matte box you are using and Chrosziel makes a bunch of them.

The main thing to look out for is your lens. I would say if its not PL mount or a rigid metal housing, i.e. solid metal body lens that doesn't extend while focusing, you likely don't want to rig your setup that way.

With the rod clamp and a lens clamp you have a fairly firm grip on things that shouldn't move much. I mean, don't swing your camera around by just the matte box, but if you're looking to go quick to shoulder that should be no problem.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I’ve seen people grab the matte box and do it and I’ve seen expensive, well made matte boxes get broken because of people putting too much stress on them. Most aren’t designed to work like that. I don’t really understand why someone would use the matte box as a set of grips to hold and control the camera, anyway. Is it for speed? To keep size/weight down? Or just lazy? Two of my matte boxes are Arri’s that have metal frames and I would still never use them to hold and control the camera. If you’re going to take the time to put a matte box on, take another few seconds and put a real grip/handle onto the rods. Or worst case scenario, just grab the rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    I’ve seen people grab the matte box and do it and I’ve seen expensive, well made matte boxes get broken because of people putting too much stress on them. Most aren’t designed to work like that. I don’t really understand why someone would use the matte box as a set of grips to hold and control the camera, anyway. Is it for speed? To keep size/weight down? Or just lazy? Two of my matte boxes are Arri’s that have metal frames and I would still never use them to hold and control the camera. If you’re going to take the time to put a matte box on, take another few seconds and put a real grip/handle onto the rods. Or worst case scenario, just grab the rods.
    It’s been done for years, and even by some of the best camera operators in the business. Personal preference and feel I suppose. Not sure how common it is these days as there are a lot more operators that came up through the digital age with everything from DSLR rigs through the traditional cinema rigs. Spider grips seem common in many rigs I see on set.
    Steve Sherrick

You definitely want a good burly rod-mounted mattebox like a full-size Arri. You're potentially putting a lot os strain on the box and you wouldn't want to see it break.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA

And probably something that isn't swing away. I've seen that wear out real quick when people are grabbing the matte box like that.
    Epic-X Dragon #8014

Hi Arsene,
    This is my preferred way of operating handheld, and for many feature/episodic operators here in LA. I find it's a more precise way of operating especially when you need to move the camera quickly.

Any of the Arri rod mounted (15mm or 19mm, it doesn't really matter) matteboxes will be fine for this. Swing away MB's are fine too.

My last season of episodic TV was Alexa Mini with Panavision cage, G series anamorphic lenses, Preston MDR3 & Lightranger, Bolt 3000, 2 x Dionic 90 batteries and Arri LMB 19mm Matte Box. Holding it by the matte box is no problem for this pretty big camera package.

I recommend using a shoulder pad that straps across your body/chest (not attached to the camera) and keeping the base of the camera as flat as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie A View Post
    I recommend using a shoulder pad that straps across your body/chest (not attached to the camera) and keeping the base of the camera as flat as possible.
    Something like this can work well.
    http://holzerenterprises.com
    Steve Sherrick