Thread: Full frame camera event with Sony FX9, Canon C500, RED Gemini, Z-Cam F6 and Arri Alex

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Full frame camera event with Sony FX9, Canon C500, RED Gemini, Z-Cam F6 and Arri Alex 
    Full frame camera event with Sony FX9, Canon C500, RED Gemini, Z-Cam F6 and Arri Alexa Mini LF

By Guy Cochran, Which Also Included REDUSER MEMBER Domenic Barbero

Downloads of Raw footage from the cameras can be found at the link below at the bottom of the page

https://www.dvestore.com/blog/downlo...x-red-gemini-/

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-28-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Hey hey. This was from our event at Northwest Camera Co
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Domenic,

Is this guy trying to take credit for something you did? or was he also part of it? I'll change the credits if needs be!

4. #4 Gemni? 
    Why is the Gemni camera in this Full Frame Camera event and not the Monstro? Gemni is a little larger than S35 but its a stretch to call it a Full Frame camera. Trying not too be pedantic but.....?

Sensor size Chart
    Tom Gleeson

Rand, guy was part of the event so we are good there. And our monstro was out so we had the Gemini Which is in the middle of full frame and s35 and honestly one of the only reds that gets requested so we chose to put that out there for people to play with.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Domenic,

Alright then, thanks for clearing that up for me and thank you for your involvement in this test!

Oh for sure. It was great to see so many cameras and lenses right next to each other. Learned much more than I thought I would after being able to put everything through side by sides.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Domenic,

Would you mind sharing what you learned with us if I'm not imposing too much?

From our event....Cameras were Mini LF, Canon C500ii, Sony FX9, Zcam F6 and RED Gemini (not ff i know). As far as lenses, we had Arri Signatures, Zeiss Supremes, Zeiss CP3, Zeiss Contax, Canon Sumire, Canon FD, Leica R, Richard Gale Optics, Sigma Cine Primes, Tokina Vistas, Celere Hs, Angenieux EZ Zooms, Fujinon Premistas. We let everyone come in and play with different lens combos and cameras and get hands on with the new menus etc. Was a blast. I had some really crazy takeaways after doing this....

Camera wise. The mini LF is just a damn good looking camera. The FX9 has a much better image now, but still atrocious menu and very handicapped. The c500ii was by far the most popular and I think its going to be a solid rental item and exciting to shoot on. The Zcam f6 was everyones favorite curiosity and thats what people were most surprised by.

Lens wise. The Zeiss Supremes are really just unimpressive. Our setup was built to see where the weaknesses lay and to be honest, the cp3's looked and performed almost identically to the supremes. Yay for my set of cp3's. lol.

The Arri Signature lenses performed better than everything we had and there honestly was something very magical about them and i now believe the hype and honestly its the set I most want to buy right now. They really built a masterful lens that is both modern and vintage looking and does some wild things.

The premistas are a steal for the price. They look great, have a little character, but technically perform well in terms of breathing, CA, out of focus rendition, weight, flare. Super liking those.

People surprisingly really enjoyed the defunct Celere HS. They looked great on every single camera and people loved the weight and size and speed. They really look fun wide open.

The Canon Sumire are an advancement from the CNE. CA is much better and more controlled wide open and the look from them wide open is pretty fun. And they really do produce lovely skin colors.

the Tokina Vistas were outstanding as always. People hesitated to use them and didnt get put on as much as other lenses, but the people that tried them out were blown away. I want to hold more events for people to get their hands on them. They really are quite nice.

The sigmas were another favorite, they had the most interesting edge flares and the still got more milky from out of frame light sources. People really seemed to enjoy that look a lot.

The EZ Zooms in FF mode are actually pretty bad ass. Glad i picked them up with the backs. They will be really useful if you dont need the faster t stop.

All in all a really solid event and I personally learned a lot with these cameras and lenses and being able to compare them all side by side. Will try to post some bts and some footage when we can. But it wasnt an event for footage, more hands on so we didnt roll a ton.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Thank you Domenic for taking the time to give this very detailed and thoughtful assessment of this camera and lens Test!

And Yeah, I figured the Arri Alexa Mini LF would do well! However, I must say I thought the Zeiss Supreme Primes would make a better impression than they seem to have had. The Signature Primes , from what I have seen , heard and read, are becoming what the Master Primes were when they initially came out. I wonder how now with the release of the Leitz Prime lens that will change if at all.