Thread: Feeling Alive - Shot on Monstro Monochrome

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Feeling Alive - Shot on Monstro Monochrome 
    1 month ago I had the opportunity to go film for the first time Humpback whales. It was one of the most beautiful experiences I had in my life so far.
    I try to capture the beauty and what I felt with this video, I hope you enjoy it.

I also want to thank Baja my Love for organizing this trip, they went above and beyond helping me capture everything I needed!

Also special thanks to Jarred Land for supporting me with one of the most beautiful cameras I ever had in my hands, a RED Monstro Monochrome!

Cinematography: Rodrigo Violante
    Sound Design by: Pablo Garay
    Voice: Mike Regan

**** R3D Snapshots to play around *****

If anyone wants to play with some of the underwater footage with Color Grading will be fun what you guys come up with :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iur6mhn2r...TGL56Ogra?dl=0

Also if you want a specific footage I can sure upload it to that folder.
    Last edited by Rodrigo Violante; 03-30-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Excellent work!
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Wow man, that's terrific stuff. I wish I had a huge display to watch it on.

BTW I do have a technical note. The footage looks a bit flat - which is typical for digital monochrome. It really needs to be run through a tone filter to give it that b&w film look (except for the grain, which is not necessary).

Even if you just put a few frames through DxO Film Pack or something, it would be worth exploring. I haven't done this myself, BTW, as when I shoot b&w photos I shoot JPEGs, which seem to bake in a little bit of richness (unless it's my imagination). But, merely desaturating RAW files, or using straight monochrome RAW files, results in flat results.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

It is very difficult to truly appreciate the beauty of these images, when they are so compressed and not being able to view them on a proper monitor. If you going to grade these beautiful images, then do it correctly and not half ass it with some plugins, sorry. The beauty of BW images is the grey tones and controlling those is the real secret of BW photography. This video could use a bit help with consistency, but the good news, there is nothing wrong with this video, that couldn't be helped with some judicious color grading...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    It is very difficult to truly appreciate the beauty of these images, when they are so compressed and not being able to view them on a proper monitor. If you going to grade these beautiful images, then do it correctly and not half ass it with some plugins, sorry. The beauty of BW images is the grey tones and controlling those is the real secret of BW photography. This video could use a bit help with consistency, but the good news, there is nothing wrong with this video, that couldn't be helped with some judicious color grading...
    The guy posts something he wanted to share and you lead off with "if you going to grade these beautiful images, then do it correctly and not half ass it..."???? how about if he wanted to do whatever... he does it? lol.... I swear what happened to community here? Long list of people I would never feel comfortable working with in any professional capacity... all with what looks like hidden agendas. Sure I'm not the only one with those feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Well I guess Thanks for the feedback.

And Sorry I really have 0 experience grading B&W all online guides or people I have talk with usually grade it manipulating a color sensor, this is true Monochrome and there are also a lot of factores here when it comes to underwater, visibility is a big factor and trying to popup the subject was a challenge. But well, I hope you can guide me someday :)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Wow man, that's terrific stuff. I wish I had a huge display to watch it on.

BTW I do have a technical note. The footage looks a bit flat - which is typical for digital monochrome. It really needs to be run through a tone filter to give it that b&w film look (except for the grain, which is not necessary).

Even if you just put a few frames through DxO Film Pack or something, it would be worth exploring. I haven't done this myself, BTW, as when I shoot b&w photos I shoot JPEGs, which seem to bake in a little bit of richness (unless it's my imagination). But, merely desaturating RAW files, or using straight monochrome RAW files, results in flat results.
    Usually does filters work when you come from Color and transform to BW, here is 100% Monochrome, but honestly if you have any guide I will gladly explore since Monochrome definitely is a challenge to grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McAleece View Post
    Excellent work!

Thank you!

For anyone who has actually been diving, it is very realistic in my humble opinion and exquisite. I love the sparkles of light when they come off the tail. I only wish that I could produce something half as good.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    The guy posts something he wanted to share and you lead off with "if you going to grade these beautiful images, then do it correctly and not half ass it..."???? how about if he wanted to do whatever... he does it? lol.... I swear what happened to community here? Long list of people I would never feel comfortable working with in any professional capacity... all with what looks like hidden agendas. Sure I'm not the only one with those feelings.
    It seems, these day people are just looking to be offended at the slightest...
    You need to relax Samir.
    I was objecting to the suggestion by Karim to use plugin "DxO Film Pack or something" instead of doing a proper grading on this beautiful imagery by Rodrigo.
    Rodrigo and I are fine, don't worry...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel