Thread: Colour grading software other than resolve

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Colour grading software other than resolve 
    Hi,

Im wondering what other colour grading software I can use with .R3D files other than resolve? I'm having some issues with frames being constantly skipped in resolve with 1000FPS played at 25fps.... so Im assuming this issue will still happen with the 100FPS i plan to shoot my next project in...

Lets start with the first important question.

What hardware are you using:
    - Processor
    - RAM
    - GPU(s)
    - Working Volume

There are a lot of options ranging from Resolve to Baselight, Resolve is the most popular grading software industry-wide mainly due to price, but there's certainly other workflows.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

There are many ways to speed up playback in resolve. Also, You can edit it whatever NLE you want and export the XML to Resolve and grade there.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

likely a machine resource issue, not software
    other gradeing software is just as demanding, just in diffrent ways, Nucoda wants lots of fast disks and CPU's, Resolve wants lots of GPU power, pick your poision, pay for solid, supported hardware and be happy

Hi All,

I've had the same problem with both the Studio and free version of Resolve. My laptop causes the problem, and the problem occurs again at the post house.

Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro both don't have any issue, but only can have a 60p Timeline frame rate.

I'm currently downloading El Capitan on another computer so that I can give Avid Media Composer a try.

For anyone intrested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tb...Sew31r2tY_j3mi

'Sequence1' once ingested to Resolve will produce the motion of 'tvsmash' in that google drive folder, so at this stage unless someone can figure out why I will need to use a different color grading software to finish as I want to have a 100FPS timebase file :)

This isn't a Resolve problem.

The two clips in your Google Drive each have either a 25fps or 24fps timebase.

You can setup your project in FCPX or Adobe for 25p, it doesn't need to be a 60p timeline.

Be careful how you ingest and interpret your footage in each program. It appears this was shot at 100fps and you need to ensure the clip is interpreted at the desired timebase, sounds like 25p or 100p.

If you are looking to create a custom 100fps timebase project to playback the clip at 100fps in realtime, give something like After Effects, Nuke, Fusion or similar a whirl. It is not a standard finishing/playback frame rate.

If you are looking for 100fps playback via a laptop though, that would be ambitious, but not impossible on a proper workstation, even uncompressed.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

But to view footage shot at 1000FPS on the phantom you need a regular 24 or 25 based timeline (in this case it was 25p). Resolve doesn't seem to handle high speed footage. Final Cut and Premiere work fine.

But we seem to disagree, I guess I just need to find a colorist that can grade with a program that can use HFR. Thanks guys I will check out Nucoda and Baselight :)

Many of us regularly deal with 24-60fps timebases, and a few of us even 120p. You likely need to look at whatever format the footage itself is in and how the program is seeing that footage.

If we're talking about 1000fps footage off the Phantom Miro, which is uncompressed, you'll likely want to transcode to something your system will have an easier time handling data rate and image rendering-wise.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

1000fps is likely not r3d files. The capture frame rate has little or nothing to do with playback issues. Make sure your clips are set to be 25fps playback source make sure your project is set to playback in 25fps.

Then if its phantom footage you need to make sure you got the bandwidth to play it back, those raw files are heavy. So one you can set down your playback resolution in the proxy setting or two gear up on hardware i.e faster discs and CPU/GPU.

But likely you want to continue to work on your laptop so make sure your project settings and source clip settings are correct and the same i.e 25p and then tag down on proxy setting in the playback menu. This only affects playback, later when you export you go into advanced settings and set it to export full debayer / best quality and then it should render out without frame skipping or other issues.

Resolve handles the above better than most if all is setup correctly. I would not try to go another route with another app to solve the issue.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

The original .cineraw files were converted to .mov on a 25fps timebase. I figured out the problem... Resolve. Final Cut Pro 6, 7 or X and Premiere are able to render slow motion footage at 60p. Avid can do above that to 120p. Resolve is the bottleneck but don't believe me see for yourself those that are interested. But considering most wont go above 30fps Resolve is fine. Im using it for a 24p project right now.

Thanks all for the comments and help :)