Thread: Budget PL Options

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mark - thanks for the link, although it seems they reviewed the lenses with an old RED One camera? Especially in terms of MTF I feel like thats not very revealing, since the camera is so low resolution?

Jake, good to know that you like the match with the Mini LF! What do you do when you need an extreme wide angle? Would you feel the Laowa would be an appropriate fit or do you just rent if you need it? Also would you compare the APOs with Supreme Primes? I'm asking since I have shot a lot with them on rental projects, they kinda serve as my reference lens :-)

So I've looked some more into Schneiders and found the lack of breathing very convincing. Also at the price they are currently offered they are almost half the price of the Sigmas, which seems like a steal. Since the original Xenon thread has some issues (new posts are invisible), I was wondering if someone who has them could chime in here, especially in regards to the CA - I've read some contradicting accounts. For example Phil Holland makes the case that the CA is way less than Compact Primes and only slightly worse than Ultra Primes (which is a completely different price range).

I also love the fact that they have an exchangeable Nikon lens mount, which allows to use them on that format and have them easily adapted to EF and E-Mount as well, since the lenses have a built-in lens support this should also avoid any focus wobble. Has anyone used these with interchangeable mounts and can speak to the usability of that? Do you have to reshim them everytime or is the backfocus ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Jake, good to know that you like the match with the Mini LF! What do you do when you need an extreme wide angle? Would you feel the Laowa would be an appropriate fit or do you just rent if you need it? Also would you compare the APOs with Supreme Primes? I'm asking since I have shot a lot with them on rental projects, they kinda serve as my reference lens :-)
    I'm only talking lenses I own, so wider than FF25mm I own a russian 20 (same from the ironglass set) and the tokina 11-16 which covers MiNI LF UHD and Open gate widescreen when set about 15mm and is wider than my FF25mm

never used the 12mm

As far as comparing with Supremes, they are a very different look. More character, warmer, way more flare wide open, less contrast overall, less sharp, not crazy vintage but in my opinion the only affordable PL full frame primes with character that are not "vintage"

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    Meike lenses will soon be available in PL and EF mounts according to:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAcpBBIg...=1m3aji6g8msos
    Meike said on IG that they'll be $539.99, that's crazy dirt cheap.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Also NISI primes, GL Optics has some options too. Tokina PL zooms and some fixed options outside of Vista prime line. Canon FD. Used .CP2

Also Sony cinealta has a mk I set of lenses which are rare and of plastic body, but also extremely cheap and the image quality is there.
    They're only a trio of lenses however, just the 35 / 50 / 85
    (I've got the 50mm myself)
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    I'm only talking lenses I own, so wider than FF25mm I own a russian 20 (same from the ironglass set) and the tokina 11-16 which covers MiNI LF UHD and Open gate widescreen when set about 15mm and is wider than my FF25mm
    I love that 20mm as well, such crisp flares and the amazing close focus!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    As far as comparing with Supremes, they are a very different look. More character, warmer, way more flare wide open, less contrast overall, less sharp, not crazy vintage but in my opinion the only affordable PL full frame primes with character that are not "vintage"
    Yes, I finally managed to look through the SALT VV tests and the difference is quite clear. Still on the fence about the CA though and I do have several vintage sets, so I am not sure if perhaps a cleaner, more modern look would be more appropriate right now like the Sigma's. Thing is, I would be able to pick up the Xenons at almost half the price of the Sigmas, except for the 18, so thats still making it tempting..

Jake did you ever exchange mounts on these? To me thats the edge they have over the other sets at that price range.. Being able to use them on smaller formats with a speed booster would be awesome. So I would likely try to pick up some Nikon mounts as well for these, although I cannot find them in stock anywhere.
    Last edited by Paul Jonathan; 07-22-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    Meike said on IG that they'll be $539.99, that's crazy dirt cheap.
    Is that for the S35? Because they teased a 50 FF as well, but I cannot see any pricing for that. Do they design their own glass? I am only familiar with the MFT cine lenses and there was some strong overlap/influence from Veydra, which made them awesome. But for FF coverage these must be different designs?

Almost settled on the Sigmas now - does anyone know if theres a 65mm in the works or do they consider their line complete?

Looks like the Meike 50mm PL is finally available for pre-order. I wonder what kind of image quality they can deliver at this kind of bargain pricing..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Is that for the S35? Because they teased a 50 FF as well, but I cannot see any pricing for that. Do they design their own glass? I am only familiar with the MFT cine lenses and there was some strong overlap/influence from Veydra, which made them awesome. But for FF coverage these must be different designs?
    Their MFT lenses are "the same" as the Veydra lenses (with just minor differences, except for one big negative: no swappable mounts!!!).