Thread: Budget PL Options

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nope, but can try on Helium

It’ll definitely cover helium at 6k, and maybe Gemini at 4K based on sensor size comparison chart

If S35 coverage is enough for you, used RedProPrimes are silly cheap for what they are. Not a fan of CP2s personally, but also a bargain on the used market.

As others note, you have to decide how important operational characteristics are. If you need precise mechanics and consistent fronts/gear alignment there are fewer options. It's also worth considering the color matching across a set - is that something you don't mind compensating for in post (raw development)? Or do you want consistent color rendition from the lenses themselves?

Cheers - #19

Schneider Xenon FF lenses are IMHO underrated.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Don't buy into Xeen. They are crap. Look into Sony Cinealta primes instead.
    ...for good reason.

https://kamerawerk.ch/data/images/30...Kamerawerk.pdf
    "The tested Sony SCL PL Mount prime lenses have shown great imaging characteristics. Contrast performance, sharpness and chromatic aberration are equal if not even better compared to its competitor lenses Cooke S4, Arri Ultra Prime or Zeiss Compact Prime. As illustrated in the figure above, SCL 135mm, 25mm and 20mm actually show best mean MTF characteristics of all lenses."
    WGA West
    NABET Local 53, IATSE Local 695 (inactive)
    Sony F65, FS700 Odyssey 7Q+

I've got a set of the sony's and they punch above their weight surely. To my eye they look like ultra primes with less micro contrast. I'll likely never sell them since they won't really fetch much of a price used since they are not in demand...

If you're looking for a set there is one up for $9K in the marketplace.

I like my AIS Nikon set. I have no choice of course. I have no other lenses for a 35mm format camera. I originally built up the set back in the days of groundglass-based 35mm film emulators, Mini35-400, Brevis, Agus35, Letus35, SGPro et al. I subsequently used the Nikon via a focal reducer on the SI2K and they had a good look if you kept within their sweet spot of about f4-f5.6.

Unless modified, focus pulls are not a pleasant chore. The lens rotation is also the opposite of cine lenses. They are also a little flarey and seem not as crisp as modern kenses like Xeen, CP2 and the like. If you fit third party metal focus gears to Nikons with grub screws on radial centres in the gears, be aware that some of the lens focus barrels will suffer crush deformation, the 35mm F3.5 in particular. That lens is not in my set but someone else's. It began to grind and bind during focus movements.

They do not like being used with C-Motion controllers at all. The drivemotor gears will disengage and jump during the calibration due to additive compliance of the Nikon mount and the drivemotor rod mounts. Gears will also rotate on the lens barrels at the end stops and the calibration will fail.

There were some variations in the Nikon F-Mount. Some older lenses will not mount to later F-Mounts without the aperture control ring binding on the shoulder of the mount itself. Third-party Nikon F-Mounts mostly seem to be patterned after the modern mount versions.

The binding mounts can be modifed by skimming the small aperture ring overhang clearance shoulder of 0.7mm front to back further rearward by 1.0mm to the 1.7mm of the older mount and taking just a whisker off the shoulder diameter. the alterntiave it to removed material from the older style aperture control ring to match modern lenses.

However, the lens will then no longer is genuine to the class of camera it was designed for. The mounts are narrow in diameter and are inclined to cause image shift if the lens is handled.

A rare lens for Nikon is the Sigmatel 135 f1.8. It was apparently good enough to send into space and one may be still floating around out there.

My prime set is :-

Sigma for Nikon 14mm f2.8.
    Sigma for Nikon 20mm f1.8.
    Nikon 28mm f1.4.
    Nikon 35mm f1.4.
    Voigtlander for Nikon 40mm f2
    Nikon 42mm (pancake) f2.8. ( a different look, almost like cooke and softer ).
    Nikon 50mm f1.4
    Nikon 52mm f1.2
    Nikon 85mm f1.4
    Nikon 105mm f1.8
    Sigmatel for Nikon 135mm f1.8

This is what you might expect of Nikons on an older RED cam with an 11 stop dynamic range, shot on a BM "big" URSA.

Last edited by Robert Hart; 05-22-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: insert cliplink

CP2 lenses can't be bad. Wide open on a SI2K camera with Super16mm sensor being used as a second camera at night, they were as sharp as the proper 16mm primes on the main camera and had good contrast in artificial lighing..

Looking for a set of FF primes that cover at least 43.5 image circle and cost below 3.5k EUR each. Xeens are out because I don't like their look. So far I've narrowed it down:

Sigma Cine FF High Speed
    Schneider Xenon FF
    SLR Magic APO Hyperprime
    Nisi F3 / Mavo Prime (are these possibly the same lenses, just rebranded?) All the specs I found about them match perfectly.

The Sigmas are my favorite, although they are the most expensive lenses in the bunch. They are a stop faster than the others and offer the most focal lengths. Anyone know if they have a 65mm in the works? That would round out the set perfectly and would most likely seal the deal for me. Except for the focus breathing are there any optical faults that I should be aware of?

Next up are the Schneiders. I have an offer thats almost half the price of the Sigmas per lens, which is very tempting. I like the interchangeable mounts and their general look, but their serious CA issues of the 35 and 25 are keeping me hesitant. There are only a few focal lengths and development seems essentially dead on these. They do offer the highest number of aperture blades of all the lenses compared and have a nice bokeh. For a super-wide angle I would likely add a Laowa 12mm - anyone care to chime in how they would intercut? Another downside is the low brand recognition if I decide to rent these out, but then again this is probably true for all of them except the Sigmas.

SLR Magic APO - theres a lot to like about these lenses, very well controlled aberrations and an EF adapter, however its also the set with the least focal lengths available and development seems unclear at beast. They also price out to be the second cheapest in the set.

The Nisi F3s/Mavo Primes - if indeed they are the same lens - are a bit of a dark horse for me look-wise. Anyone care to chime in? Pricing wise they are only a little cheaper than the Sigmas, however they have a larger image circle and unified sizing, moreso than the Sigmas. A super wide is sorely missing, so I would add a Laowa as well here.

Any important lenses I am missing here? Something I should be aware of the lenses listed? In terms of look - I already have plenty of vintage lenses, so I am looking for a modern, clean (but not clinical set) that I will build over the years. My favorite look right now are the Supreme Primes, but those are only affordable as a rental for big projects at the moment.

Here is a very comprehensive review of the Sigma primes.
    https://www.imago.org/index.php/tech...st-review.html

I have the 25, 32, 50, and 85 APO hyperprimes as my personal lenses I own. I shoot mainly mini LF. They are great lenses. Better than the rest on the list with the exception of sigma which are sharp, contrasy and generally boring but technically great. So depends on your needs. I believe there’s a lens guru around here who was not impressed with the Mavo primes
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM