Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DaVinci Resolve 16.2. -- With R3D Metal GPU acceleration ( Mac )

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I'm impressed that the free version outputs to UHD. I thought it was limited to HD. Great stuff from Blackmagic.
    It is always been limited to UHD, but not a true 4k.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

For the guy that maybe experiencing problems, try disabling the " Chroma Noise Reduction " in the "Camera Raw" area and see if that helps any.

Chroma Noise Reduction has been turned off, problems persist either way! Echoing Kyle, optimized media experiences the same problem (never did before), which is pretty strange. I also copied the footage to a a fast SSD, with same stuttery results.
    Ben Sturgulewski
    www.sturgefilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sturgulewski View Post
    Chroma Noise Reduction has been turned off, problems persist either way! Echoing Kyle, optimized media experiences the same problem (never did before), which is pretty strange. I also copied the footage to a a fast SSD, with same stuttery results.
    And the problem persists when using OpenCL instead of Metal? (trying to button down if it might be a 16.2.1 issue, not just a decode thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    And the problem persists when using OpenCL instead of Metal? (trying to button down if it might be a 16.2.1 issue, not just a decode thing.)
    Problem goes away once switched to OpenCL. Much smoother performance on OpenCL

I should try Metal again, but with with ‘Decompression Only’ instead of ‘Decompression and Debayer’. Maybe that will single out where the problem is

On my (admittedly old) MBP, Metal performance is ever so slightly better than OpenCL in Debayer-Only mode render times (playback seems the same.).

But Id be lying if I said I wasnt hoping for more solid playback in Decompression & Debayer mode... nothing super fancy or miraculous (like 8k full premium), just a bump for real-time playback at 6k 9:1 1/2 Good or 6k 4:1 at 1/4, yknow? Alas, its much worse than Debayer-only, so the GPU is clearly being overwhelmed.

Mike,

I think you may have already mentioned it, but have you tried using a "Half Resolution" "Proxy Playback". Then try going through the "Debayer Quality settings" to see the highest debayer quality plus Half Resolution Proxy playback combo gives you the best of both quality and smooth playback.

Also, if you don't use Fusion as little as I do, try re-allocating some memory away from Fusion to Resolve.

8. #38 Stuttery Playback Fix in RESOLVE 16.2.1 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sturgulewski View Post
    Was excited about this, but having some major issues on a loaded 2017 iMac Pro. With 'Memory and GPU' set to Metal, and 'Decompression and Debayer' turned on in decode options, I get stuttery playback on 8k footage... at any playback resolution, even at quarter proxy mode. It says its playing back at 23.98 but in actuality it stutters every half second... visually it appears almost as if the hard drive were the bottleneck, like it can't pull frames quickly enough from it. But when I switch back to OpenCL and set decode to just Decompression, I get smooth realtime playback at half resolution, and even full resolution on more compressed 8k shots. Same shots play back great in Premiere at half resolution as well. Are there any settings I might be missing?
    Hi, please try enabling show all frames in resolve as shown in attached image. This should improve your playback
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Ato View Post
    Hi, please try enabling show all frames in resolve as shown in attached image. This should improve your playback
    I had tried this. It did not improve performance

Good news: Solomon's suggestion of enabling 'show all frames' helped with the stutter on my end, that behavior went away. Thanks!

Bad news: Metal Decompression and Debayer seems slower than Metal Debayer or OpenCL Debayer, in both playback and export. Did a quick test on a 13:1 compression slo-mo clip (I know this is very compressed so is more of a compression workload, but didn't have a less compressed clip on hand) playing off SSD.

-OpenCL: Smooth playback at 24fps with full-res premium, half res good export to Quicktime in 23 seconds.
    -Metal Debayer: Smooth playback at 24fps with full-res premium, half res good export to Quicktime in 23 seconds.
    -Metal Decompression and Debayer: ~18fps playback at half res good, 1/8 res barely makes 24fps (~23). Half res good export to Quicktime in 30 seconds.

Decompression and Debayer seems decidedly slower, at least with this more highly compressed shot.
    Ben Sturgulewski
    www.sturgefilm.com