Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Thai and Mike,

Here is a video that includes all, or most, of the clips from the Mavo LF that Kristian Thuesen made available to download at the links below.
    Thanks Rand. Looking pleasing to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by paul ross jones View Post
    I hope that Red takes note of this camera. To me, this is a far more compelling product than the Komodo.
    I wish the Komodo had a proper vari ND option than canons adaptor.

Paul
    +1.
    Plus, Mavo Edge has many other clever features mentioned above that Komodo is lacking.

To me, Komodo is aimed at a different shooting style. Reminds me of my days shooting with my Hasselblad V (will there be a loupe viewfinder for the top screen la Hassy? Or is the screen bright enough to see in full bright daylight in snow or dessert environment without reflection?).

Nevertheless, when I think how I usually rig my Helium in a commercial shoot using top rods and top handle, the top screen of Komodo will turn useless because the rods and handle will probably cover the screen and make it inaccessible. Same when I mount Komodo on gimbal. The only way to access menu is via foolcontrol I guess.

Another note on Komodo, I know touch screen is fancy and cool. But if you shoot a lot in cold, snowy environment where you have to wear gloves, touch screen is always a hassle and not practical. I always prefer buttons.
    Last edited by Thai Christen; 05-01-2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: add note

Thai,

You bring up some very good points. When I was over in the UI and UX thread for the Komodo trying to come up with different UI ideas, I really never thought about what it would be like to be shooting with glooves on or with frost bitten or sweating hands. Robert Hofmeyr brought up the subject of being able to navigate the on screen menu with buttons. I thought why use physical buttons with a touch screen. Then I remembered that when I ever shot anything in freezing cold conditions, I had a camera that I could navigate the menu with that had great physical buttons.

You bring up some very good points. When I was over in the UI and UX thread for the Komodo trying to come up with different UI ideas, I really never thought about what it would be like to be shooting with glooves on or with frost bitten or sweating hands. Robert Hofmeyr brought up the subject of being able to navigate the on screen menu with buttons. I thought why use physical buttons with a touch screen. Then I remembered that when I ever shot anything in freezing cold conditions, I had a camera that I could navigate the menu with that had great physical buttons.
    Rand,

I haven't followed Komodo's thread for a very long time. Way too many posts.
    As you said, people who love touch screen have probably never shot in cold rough weather condition. Also imagine if you use a sunhood - yes trust me, even with the brightest screen, shooting in sunny bright snow, you definitely want a sunhood, or even better an EVF.

Back to buttons, since day one when I upgraded to Dsmc2 I bought a sidekick module which has proven to be indispensable. Even with very thick gloves, I can easily navigate through the menu by only using the wheel. I wish Komodo has some way to navigate through the menu without having to touch the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post

Another note on Komodo, I know touch screen is fancy and cool. But if you shoot a lot in cold, snowy environment where you have to wear gloves, touch screen is always a hassle and not practical. I always prefer buttons.
    They could have choosen a touch screen like on the SX-R4+ from Sonosax. You can use a pen, or what ever, to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    They could have choosen a touch screen like on the SX-R4+ from Sonosax. You can use a pen, or what ever, to navigate.
    Pen could be an alternative. However, I guarantee you will lose the pen after the first shoot ;-)
    Not practical IMO because it is one more thing amongst thousands of other stuff you have worry about.

You can also use your nail tip, a screw driver or even your finger with glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    You can also use your nail tip.
    Haha, very funny. Maybe I let them grow and won't cut for a couple of months ;-)

Another thing you brought up Thai was the sun hood. I was thinking that Red would have some type of solution like the medium Format cameras upward hoods. However, depending on the design of that hood and how it would be attached to the camera body, your use of the touchscreen would be limited or impossible

And, since the screen is on the top of the camera and if you choose not to use a hood, you'll have to think about the amount of exposure to direct sunlight your camera display will be exposed to..

I'm hoping to get one of the first pre production Edge's. Will keep ya'll posted when I put it through the paces. More to come hopefully soon!
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Another thing you brought up Thai was the sun hood. I was thinking that Red would have some type of solution like the medium Format cameras upward hoods. However, depending on the design of that hood and how it would be attached to the camera body, your use of the touchscreen would be limited or impossible

And, since the screen is on the top of the camera and if you choose not to use a hood, you'll have to think about the amount of exposure to direct sunlight your camera display will be exposed to..
    To me, by placing the screen on top for Komodo, RED has to come up with an interchangeable focusing hood similar to Classic Hasselblad V. It is very clever, in the classic 90 degree glass prism, you can just flip and fold down the hood completely flat. For Komodo, one could think when the hood is folded down flat, one can still access the buttons on the right side. But the screen is protected.
    Then there is a 45 degree prism finder where you can look straight through. Like this, you can adapt to both shooting style, top down or straight.

Otherwise, top screen of Komodo is a design failure if you ask me.
    Gimbal would be difficult, using top rods or top handle also.