Thread: Lapel mic recommendation?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Lapel mic recommendation? 
    Hi everyone, I'm just looking for recommendations for a good lapel mic. I have a rode shotgun mic right now but I do mostly interviews so I assume a lapel would be better. I'm not doing anything professionally but I'm still interested in good quality even if it isn't absolute top of the line. Thanks for any recommendations!

Peter

2. #2 Lav mics 
    Countryman b6 is really nice. Iím a huge sure fam tho so Iím super happy that their making some ground space in the film world again. The shure twinplex tl 47 is beautiful. Sounds perfect. Crisp enough that it pierces through fabrics. But not too much. Also as always superb build quality. Only thing is the capsule is quite large. So if you really plan on hiding it under garments. Check out the b6. Friken tiny. An honorable mention would be the senheiser mke2. Not to be mistaken for the meII. But those are my top 3. In order. Tl47 - b6 - mke-2

If your looking for the whole wireless system. Senheiser avx. Hands down. Do not be fooled by its (auto leveling) itís more of a limiter than a gain boost. Itís really nice. And all of the above mics can be adapted to the transmitter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Steele View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm just looking for recommendations for a good lapel mic. I have a rode shotgun mic right now but I do mostly interviews so I assume a lapel would be better. I'm not doing anything professionally but I'm still interested in good quality even if it isn't absolute top of the line. Thanks for any recommendations!

Peter
    Depends a lot on the environment you're in. For sit-downs, we're usually booming the subject, but sometimes it is just a lav, and a lot of times we double mic them(lav & boom). Our go-to lav's are Sanken COS-11's, but also have Tram TR50's, Sony ECM-77's and Countryman B6's.

DPA are absolutely stunning. And countryman b6 is excellent too, so tiny and easy to hide. Those are the ones I have consistently used. All the other mics mentioned above are excellent too. Very important as to how you wire the talent. Please remember that most of these are omnis so they do pick up sounds other than speech. Which can be good as in you could catch sound of minor movements for example someone flipping a page in a book. And in most common setup they point up towards the mouth. So try to avoid placing talent under a vent. And a lot of small other attention to details will help you capture a great sounding voice. As for the wireless body recorders or transmitters/ receivers there are lots of great options these days for reasonable price. For single person shoots of mostly static talent/ interviewee, I personally prefer regular mic on a stand with boom. Very easy to setup once and forget. The lavs I find are essential when the talent is moving around in space and speaking at the same time.

Just a lapel mic or a whole wireless kit? Am assuming you don't want to hardwire into the camera, that's usually too much hassle/risk for most modern productions.

There are a lot of options! So I'll just give a quick overview.

The major players in the world of professional wireless are:
    Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, Wisycom and Audio Ltd. (the new partnership of Shure & Q5X is worth keeping an eye on, they could be making big inroads into the film industry soon)

The best prosumer budget wireless are (roughly ranked in this order): Sony UWP-D21 / Deity Connect Wireless / Sennheiser G4
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding