Thread: Scarlet-MX in 5K mode for streaming, how?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet-MX in 5K mode for streaming, how? 
    I vaguely remember it possible to use the Scarlet-MX in the 5K mode through the HDMI and SDI output but at a normal frame rate and not the recording frame rate of 12fps. Can anyone chime in regarding this. Basically to not record in camera but to just use clean HDMI out for feeding into a webstreaming platform but to use the full MX sensor size.. (considering that would be useful especially in todays stay at home times). I think it had something to do with lookaround but I forgot. Thanks

Hullo Samir,

Yes enable sdi look-around at 4k and you get 5k FoV on scarlet MX. Sold my scarlet Ramy years ago but last time I used it, I remember red moving it somewhere. It was in monitoring.

Let me have a quick search.

Cheers
    Craig Lees
    UK

Yes I think it’s in monitoring - SDI:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...amorphic-Modes

Thank you Craig! Will definitely report back. Wish some video capture devices were in stock right now.

Try CVP in the UK!

Craig

Yep, Look Around is limited to the max fps of the resolution below it. So, for Scarlet-X, you set the camera to 4k at up to 30p so that with look-around enabled you get FF5k@1080p up to 30fps out of the SDI/HDMI. If you set the camera to 5k/12fps, you're only gonna get 12fps out of the SDI/HDMI. Definitely worth reading the manual for the details as it tells you where look-around settings are and tells you how to make SDI be a clean/log feed while your RED monitor still has colour space/gamma/gui applied.

Bare in mind, the HDMI/SDI outputs are 1080p only and 1/2 debayer (that's a camera limitation; all feeds are only 1/2 debayer), but it actually makes for really good quality 1080p. It even seems perceptibly cleaner, so ISO1600 is good to go (which means more highlight protection). Unfortunately, while MX supports Log3G10 in-camera, it does *not* do RWG internally (which is pretty dumb).

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Very interesting. So, Mike, if I read you correctly, you can do internal RAW at 4K, while recording 5K FF 1080 via SDI/HDMI at the same time? I can see this being quite useful for commercial work, although with no slow motion.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

I still have my Scarlet MX....if you look at the Shut and Shoot that Scarlet thread, which was started in 2014, it shows some really beautiful work...especially post IPP2.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...t-that-Scarlet

Great little camera and we still use it alongside Helium and it is great.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Very interesting. So, Mike, if I read you correctly, you can do internal RAW at 4K, while recording 5K FF 1080 via SDI/HDMI at the same time?
    Yeah, that's right! And if memory serves, the only recorder that gets proper filenames and can trigger record via the camera, was the Sound Devices Pix series. All the rest needed to be triggered separately.

Technically the HDMI/SDI can do 60p out, but I couldn't get it work (and I tried open gate and timebase of 60p, etc.... and it registered in the off-board recorder as a 60p source, but played back at whatever frame rate the camera was set at.)

To be brutally honest, I'd opt for a p4k or p6k before I spent money on a separate off-board recorder to get FF5k@1080p out of a Scarlet-X. That said, from 2011~2015, it was a decent option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Yeah, that's right! And if memory serves, the only recorder that gets proper filenames and can trigger record via the camera, was the Sound Devices Pix series. All the rest needed to be triggered separately.

Technically the HDMI/SDI can do 60p out, but I couldn't get it work (and I tried open gate and timebase of 60p, etc.... and it registered in the off-board recorder as a 60p source, but played back at whatever frame rate the camera was set at.)

To be brutally honest, I'd opt for a p4k or p6k before I spent money on a separate off-board recorder to get FF5k@1080p out of a Scarlet-X. That said, from 2011~2015, it was a decent option.
    very interesting... kind of was asking to just use the old Scarlet as a live stream camera anyway. but given every single streaming device on the planet is out of stock anyway... kind of in a holding pattern anyway. :( Atem Mini Pro is pre-ordered. Will report back when I get one.