Thread: Did the Covid Thread Disappear?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Did the Covid Thread Disappear? 
    Can't find it anywhere. Was it memory-holed?
    I love lamp.

Going to say for the sake of some people's thoughts surrounding this event that perhaps discussing some of these things in such ways is likely better done elsewhere.

It was a risk opening the thread and it was a fingers crossed moment in terms of it being kept civil. People crossed certain lines. Traditionally we don't get too political here and REDuser certainly isn't feeding ground for some of what was being pushed out.

There's other places on the internet that are better for topics such as this.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for removing it, Phil. It was out of control with nothing but partisan bickering.

I'm glad that thread is gone. It became infected.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Just to echo again. There are better places on the internet to discuss politics, your personal leanings regarding the pandemic response, and your theories regarding individuals.

This is a camera forum first and extended to all aspects of the motion picture industry. Off Topic allows for even more exploration within reason, but this is truly not the place for whatever that was and what some "think" it was.

Freedom of speech is absolutely your right, but you can do that on your own websites and personal social media pages. We used to be much, much sterner about political and global subjects matter. That thread just turned into something far off the mark of what's appropriate here.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Good move.

What continues to be appropriate to this forum is the impact on our industry both in production and manufacturing.
    The covid crisis is affecting the industry in much the same way as the earthquake accelerated the shift from tape to digital.
    Whether "working from home" or how we shoot a film in studio or on location, the changes will have a profound impact on how we do business from this day forward.

Time to tighten those seatbelts. We are in for another ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Good move.

What continues to be appropriate to this forum is the impact on our industry both in production and manufacturing.
    The covid crisis is affecting the industry in much the same way as the earthquake accelerated the shift from tape to digital.
    Whether "working from home" or how we shoot a film in studio or on location, the changes will have a profound impact on how we do business from this day forward.

Time to tighten those seatbelts. We are in for another ride.
    I am totally on fastened seat belt situation as many. But for the sake of argument and will of articulation lets every "you" not make personal.
    Why its good for "you"? I can understand Why moderator moderates, but what profit it give "you" as Individual. On camera forum to speak camera related questions is understandable And very sane, especially in era of mistrust, atypical danger and total abuse what was uncommon for all of us several month ago. That liberation we all had with digital era struggles upon us. Cameras that shoot beautiful and resolution wise incredible images can also take your photo going to store in wrong hour. Hand devices that opened communication to the dearest ones at all times, now looking upon you for unknown entity, that moves while sitting on pile of cash. Concealed bites. Sometimes it's chews into you for a reason and sometimes because it have a bad character. Let us not byte each other while waiting for the world to opened up and not the gatekeeper to access doors of never return to this amusement we love to hate and hate to love. Every one choses his own poison, in small doeses it's a remedy, if taken as a full peace, it can digest your own guts. Peace to everybody and luck in finding some useful things except internet talk.
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 05-16-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Hrvoje, this is OUR forum, not YOUR forum. When any user crosses the line from generally contributing to the conversation in positive ways to intense advocacy of a specific position that is not responsive and proportional to the general questions of the day, it is appropriate for moderators to step in, and, if necessary, clean up the mess. People can and have crossed the line at other times, sometimes in cases where they are very much on topic (about some technical issue) but not it a way that is forum-friendly.

COVID-19 has affected this industry, and many others. It's valid to talk about how we can or cannot adapt our practices to the policies and conditions that present themselves today. It's fine to say "It doesn't affect me because [whatever reason] and so I'm carrying on as usual", but REDUSER.net is not the place to rebut the scientific basis of those policies and the realities of people literally dying by the thousands every day. Now, if you want to shoot a movie (a short, a feature, a doc, whatever) that shows great technique and great art WHILE espousing whatever theories you might have--that could be productive, at least in terms of talking about lighting, image quality, skin tone rendering, bokeh, and even esoteric things like sensor format vs. lens geometry.

But otherwise, share discoveries, ask questions, acknowledge and support the work of others, and, occasionally, express opinions. But keep the conversation moving and read the room. If you are becoming repetitive, check yourself and let it go. This is our forum, not your forum.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Hrvoje, this is OUR forum, not YOUR forum. When any user crosses the line from generally contributing to the conversation in positive ways to intense advocacy of a specific position that is not responsive and proportional to the general questions of the day, it is appropriate for moderators to step in, and, if necessary, clean up the mess. People can and have crossed the line at other times, sometimes in cases where they are very much on topic (about some technical issue) but not it a way that is forum-friendly.

COVID-19 has affected this industry, and many others. It's valid to talk about how we can or cannot adapt our practices to the policies and conditions that present themselves today. It's fine to say "It doesn't affect me because [whatever reason] and so I'm carrying on as usual", but REDUSER.net is not the place to rebut the scientific basis of those policies and the realities of people literally dying by the thousands every day. Now, if you want to shoot a movie (a short, a feature, a doc, whatever) that shows great technique and great art WHILE espousing whatever theories you might have--that could be productive, at least in terms of talking about lighting, image quality, skin tone rendering, bokeh, and even esoteric things like sensor format vs. lens geometry.

But otherwise, share discoveries, ask questions, acknowledge and support the work of others, and, occasionally, express opinions. But keep the conversation moving and read the room. If you are becoming repetitive, check yourself and let it go. This is our forum, not your forum.
    Hear, hear, Michael!

My only quibble is I'm not writing "Great editing in that video you made advocating defunding efforts to fight cholera, malaria and polio in the developing world that will probably lead to millions of deaths" and I'm not staying silent either.

If I honestly am convinced a video posted here for comment could potentially cause real harm, I'm going to plainly say so and try to support with fact (unless there is already a chorus saying the same thing!). Many of my teachers were anti-apartheid folks in South Africa. I'm not letting them down on this.

One suggestion is maybe enforce keeping comments / debates to a set amount (allow for debate and rebuttal, etc).

I've never seen anyone making a beautiful video advocating for white power who can also respond concisely without posting large numbers of nutty links (especially if you dare to question them), but I guess they exist!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post

edited
    Last edited by Daniel Doherty; 05-19-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    I love lamp.