Thread: New TOKINA 25-75mm T2.9 s35

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    why is it so expensive compared to other two zooms form the same line? if it cost like 11 -20 it can be a good solution htat wont brake your bank. basically 11 to 75 is really workable range
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    That makes sense. Is there room back there for the motors? I mean 3 of them will not fit on one side but they can be staggered easily enough. The iris ring may be too close to the PL mount on some cameras to put a rail mounter motor. I just like traditional easy fit spacing on cine lenses where focus is up front, zoom in the middle and iris in the back but good 1-2 inches from the mount. There was a good reason for that layout (that every "strictly" cine lens manufacturer has used) but may not be the case anymore....
    Pros and cons there. I've rigged around worse. Some people don't like the gear up from because of potential torque related movement. I'm at a point where I work around whatever. Ideally more generous spacing for sure, but this is a compact zoom really.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    why is it so expensive compared to other two zooms form the same line? if it cost like 11 -20 it can be a good solution htat wont brake your bank. basically 11 to 75 is really workable range
    Probably due to it being an entirely new design. I am expecting performance on par, but more likely better than the other zooms in this series. But we'll see.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Stupid question: what's the significance of "laneways" in your area? Is it just a term for a small or residential street, or is there more to it? I hadn't heard the term.

Fair question. Here in Toronto, many home have driveways in an alley behind the narrow homes. During this pandemic, many have turned to their laneways as an extension of their homes to keep active. Of course, Laneway can have many meanings but that's how this project started. Now it's more of personal stories whether they have a laneway or a regular street and home.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Bob,

Can you tell me about your experience with the Character of this lens series?

You said you where surprised how much Character they had, what is that?

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Various other strange or vintage lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    That makes sense. Is there room back there for the motors? I mean 3 of them will not fit on one side but they can be staggered easily enough. The iris ring may be too close to the PL mount on some cameras to put a rail mounter motor. I just like traditional easy fit spacing on cine lenses where focus is up front, zoom in the middle and iris in the back but good 1-2 inches from the mount. There was a good reason for that layout (that every "strictly" cine lens manufacturer has used) but may not be the case anymore....
    Another point to mention is that this layout is better for gimbal work, because you want to have the weight close to the camera to balance it more easily.
    Looks similar to the Atlas Orion Lenses.
    Red Gemini
    Red Scarlet-W
    BMPCC 4k

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gelhard View Post
    Another point to mention is that this layout is better for gimbal work, because you want to have the weight close to the camera to balance it more easily.
    Looks similar to the Atlas Orion Lenses.
    I think for gimbal work you are much better off with EFF drive by wire setaup. No external motors or gears on lenses needed....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I was actually pretty surprised at the 50-135's character. I've been doing a personal project during Covid and decided to use this zoom to shoot from a distance quickly. The 25-75 will pair nicely. Here's the project so far if you're curious. Shot on 6K Dragon.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7146347
    This lens naturally gives a vintage look or you get that during post production (i am not talking about grain/noise)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayk Frangulyan View Post
    This lens naturally gives a vintage look or you get that during post production (i am not talking about grain/noise)?
    I heard the lens designers learned a lot from when they designed lenses at Olympus. It has a controlled flare and not too contrasty. The grade I'm trying for and added grain does lend to a vintage feel but I get nice results without using diffusion.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I was actually pretty surprised at the 50-135's character. I've been doing a personal project during Covid and decided to use this zoom to shoot from a distance quickly. The 25-75 will pair nicely. Here's the project so far if you're curious. Shot on 6K Dragon.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7146347
    These are beautiful. Love the grade and the simplicity of the storytellig.

Bob,

As always, really digging your shots/work here! Well done. :)
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    Official Site // Facebook // IMDB

RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"

"Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"