Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo Compared to Helium - Dynamic Range (and more)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo Compared to Helium - Dynamic Range (and more) 
    Jarred just posted this on Facebook and it deserves it's own thread IMO.

Here's what he wrote along with it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    So as customers start to get Komodos this weekend I’m sure you all will start to see pretty charts and footage galore but thought I’d share some of the not so pretty stuff. Loren and I have been doing some deep deep deep diving the last few days and this chart between Komodo and Helium was a throw away as we had a bit of lens flare from a bad angle of the setup... but that mistake reveals a lot. We have talked about the dreaded sensor smear over the years and it’s a really hard one to solve... almost all CMOS cameras experience it. The super bright spilling over into adjacent columns of super black. This fugly chart really shows this anomaly off on the Helium, and shows how the new design of the Komodo all but eliminates it. Also you can see the benefits of the Helium and its resolution advantage... the Helium noise grain is smaller and less perceptible. Remarkably, even without the resolution advantage, the global shutter Komodo keeps right up to the Helium in terms of dynamic range... which is dare I say a bit revolutionary as far as global shutter sensors go. You can also see Graeme’s work really evolving here as the black levels in this 12800/6400iso split show how well behaved the blacks on the Komodo stay black when pushed all the way to the moon. Anyways... just thought I’d share . We still have a few gremlins to still work out deep in the gutters that 99.9% of people will probably never see but we are still attacking them regardless. The RED sensor team really deserves to take a bow on this one... and Graeme still finds ways to surprise me after all these years.

So yeah. Personal take here. We'll all have to uncover how to get the best images off of Komodo, but this shear amount of DR is impressive for a camera that's sub-$10K. And super impressive for anything with a Global Shutter. Whatever solution they have for the CMOS Smear on the sensor tech level is amazing and I hope something that can be further dived into on future sensor developments. That's been thing across a lot of cameras over the last decade, and not just RED cameras mind you.

That's a nice deep black and it mostly looks clean in terms of influence of the Color Science Filter.

The Pros are still there for Helium obviously in terms of resolution and that can equate to per pixel color. Don't throw away your cameras people. But this shows some of the mega advancements RED's sensor team has been able to crack on and into.

So far, so good IMO.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Very impressive. It's amazing having global shutter with this kind of range. You know what lenses you're gonna try out first?

That's impressive! Now I'm even more excited for the general availability models, since I won't be able to spring for one until then.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Yeah, I was not expecting this. It totally stands up to the Helium. And the blacks are fantastic! I'm so glad I never got one of those other small cameras (S1H, etc.). This looks totally worth the wait.

Is there a reason I should care about sensor smear? I feel like anecdotally, with my Dragon, any time there's a bright white next to a dark shadow, there's no smear at all and I need to throw some diff on to soften the edge a little.

What does "12800/6400iso split" mean? Like halfway between the two? Or overlaid on top of each other?
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Resolution matters very little when you get the cleaner balance of the Komodo one. Supersampled and noise reducted at UHD it's probably gonna look better in many cases. Sets things into perspective.

As a side-note, does anyone know anything about a preliminary timeframe for the release? First batch out now, but the Hydrogen discount ones will start when? The original Komodo-thread is so highly saturated that getting any up to date information right now feels like an academic research project.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

6.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    Yeah, I was not expecting this. It totally stands up to the Helium. And the blacks are fantastic! I'm so glad I never got one of those other small cameras (S1H, etc.). This looks totally worth the wait.

Is there a reason I should care about sensor smear? I feel like anecdotally, with my Dragon, any time there's a bright white next to a dark shadow, there's no smear at all and I need to throw some diff on to soften the edge a little.

What does "12800/6400iso split" mean? Like halfway between the two? Or overlaid on top of each other?
    sorry yeah the split thing was a bit confusing... the 12800 is the left most ( brighter ) split where the streak is on the chart on both cameras, it highlights the smear , and lack of smear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    sorry yeah the split thing was a bit confusing... the 12800 is the left most ( brighter ) split where the streak is on the chart on both cameras, it highlights the smear , and lack of smear.
    Oh the smear is the dark bar! I thought that was part of the flare you were referring to. Yes, I feel like I've noticed that once or twice in exceptional circumstances. That's freaking amazing that you got rid of it.
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    Oh the smear is the dark bar! I thought that was part of the flare you were referring to. Yes, I feel like I've noticed that once or twice in exceptional circumstances. That's freaking amazing that you got rid of it.
    Yeah smear is like a stripe that almost changes the nature of the noise floor.

Here's one time I got hit with it. Notice the greenish stripe through the middle of the man's jacket:

Luckily for the actual film and actual take, I was able to window that area and remove the green stripe out of the jacket. It took a little work as the shot was handheld and the smear would move around relative to the jacket.

Really good news for Komodo to have entirely eliminated this phenomenon.
    Last edited by Aaron Lochert; 05-29-2020 at 12:37 AM.

I have to say this DR is really impressive. Especially for controlled studio work. It suggests the blacks hold well. Curious how well color holds up across the range too.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    I have to say this DR is really impressive. Especially for controlled studio work. It suggests the blacks hold well. Curious how well color holds up across the range too.
    Could not agree more.

Are there any cameras this small with this kind of DR? This is going to be game changing.
    Epic-W Helium turned Gemini #772
    bartcortright.com