Thread: New RED Family member-8K VV

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New RED Family member-8K VV 
    Hello my new family! I have been stalking these forums for a year or so... I finally made the plunge and bought my first RED camera which is a carbon Weapon Monstro I picked it up from MPB for $38,000 USD and got all of this!

Red Weapon Monstro 8k VV 162 hours
    Tactical top plate
    Sidewinder
    DSMC2 Universal top handle
    Standard OLPF
    Skin tone OLPF
    Low light OLPF
    DSMC 2 sidekick Carbon
    DSMC 2 side handle
    DSMC 2 V-Lock I/O expander
    Pro Touch 7”
    2 Red Bricks
    Red Brick charger
    DSMC AC adaptor
    RED PL Mount
    RED EF Mount
    4 Mini Mags 480gb (selling 2)
    RED station mini mag reader
    G Tech Mini mag reader
    Incase Backpack
    RED (not sure model name) pelican style rolling carry-on suitcase.

I have never owned a cinema camera so I’m buying all the other stuff now. Still want to pick up the following items if you all have any advice I would greatly appreciate it! Oh also I have the 2019 Mac Pro.

Tilta Nucleus M Follow focus
    Small Rig Focus rods/ base plate
    Apple additional Vega pro VII Card
    Small HD Wireless monitor
    Matte box
    2TB Kippertie Long take
    Kippertie Revolva ND
    RED Smart Top Handle
    Small HD Cine 7 RED control
    DJI Ronin-MX Stabilizer

DJI Ronin-MX Stabilizer - Don't get that one, you can go ronin 2 or if that is to heavy get MoviPro.

Also try to always keep it as simple as possible, most of the time you do not need a lot of things.

Welcome :)
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Is there any less expensive gimbals I can use with the cam to get decent results. Pocket book is crying right now.

Check out the polar pro basecamp matte box.
    It has built in nd filters and its only $700.
    You might want to hold off on the revolva.

Also careful on the tilta nucleus m, i bought 2 in the past month from b&h and both of the handles werent working with the 18650 batteries, they were only working when directly connected the the red battery with a wire. I think they had a bad batch going on. Test it out with batteries before the return policy when purchasing it.

Ronin 1s are cheap right now and still work great. When not under stay at home orders I still use mine every day. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure it comes with a few batteries, DJI doesn’t make them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeAgazarian View Post
    Check out the polar pro basecamp matte box.
    It has built in nd filters and its only $700.
    You might want to hold off on the revolva.

Also careful on the tilta nucleus m, i bought 2 in the past month from b&h and both of the handles werent working with the 18650 batteries, they were only working when directly connected the the red battery with a wire. I think they had a bad batch going on. Test it out with batteries before the return policy when purchasing it.
    The reason you might be having issues with power from the 18650 is there are many versions of that same battery. Check with Tilta which company makes the ones that work in the handles. I went through 3 or 4 different brands before finding a couple that work. Something about the way the battery is made with the little button on the top. Needs to be a pretty exact length and most of these 18650's you get online have very different lengths and different top buttons on the batteries.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    The reason you might be having issues with power from the 18650 is there are many versions of that same battery. Check with Tilta which company makes the ones that work in the handles. I went through 3 or 4 different brands before finding a couple that work. Something about the way the battery is made with the little button on the top. Needs to be a pretty exact length and most of these 18650's you get online have very different lengths and different top buttons on the batteries.
    thats funny that you mention that, finally today i got the handles to work. So after returning the first two i finally bought another one i tried multiple 18650 batteries non worked on the handles but the Tilta Nucleus-M Hand Unit worked perfect no matter what battery i put in. I finally bought a set of batteries and it turns out that the handles only work if the 18650 batterys have nipples on it, "the little button on top" . When using the batteries with the nipples the handles work perfect. I only came across one problem the Tilta Nucleus-M FIZ Hand Unit is very difficult to close and when you finally close it its very difficult to open when using the 18650 batteries with nipples, but no worries because for the hand unit ill just use the batteries without the nipples and the handles ill use batteries with nipples. I believe this is all bs and its a manufacture defect on there part that should be fixed. Thnaks for the feedback!

I've had luck with my New Tilta Nucleus system so far aside from the FIZ handunit stuck in Chinese for the settings (DOH). On another note back to the Monstro....I just learned the camera had NOT been sent to RED like originally stated for inspection pre purchase.....anything I should look for now that I have been misled? Camera has about 175 hours on it.

Dont sell the mags, you can never have too many of them.
    B
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

oops. Sold all 4 and bought two of the 2TB Kippertie long takes with the money.