Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Not currently, but probably will be.

Yep.

Yes, Sensor Calibration is in there and yes RED is still trying to get the most out of what you can get out of a sensor. Outside of the first day of testing Sensor Calibration though, I haven't actually re-calibrated since.

I'll dig in a bit to AF, but honestly it's going to be the thing that will be most worked on to get it to where people really want it.

No Sensor Stabilization, but there is Global Shutter however.

I gotcha on that last question in a bit.

I have it rigged differently at the moment, but I'll snap some other angles of that battery plate. Basically there's a sliding plate that goes into the BP battery mount, Wooden Camera is making a single BP and double slot versions. That has a little friction lock with a kip handle so you can change the angle of the battery if needed for balance or rigging.

Battery draw right now seems to be somewhere between 24 and 30Wh. About 3 hours with two BP-955s basically if you are using the Canon ones. Still haven't done my big battery burns, but I will eventually. Power draw might change a bit as stuff is added or optimized, but generally pretty impressed on how little you actually need for a decent up time.

Who knows what mysterious lurk in the heart of man?

Appreciate that.

For those unaware of what's happening here in Los Angeles outside of the precautions being taken for Covid-19 to film "anything" the recent protests and riots have evoked mandated curfews citywide. Depending on where you are typically between 5pm-6am, some areas as early as 1pm-6am. I've had to cancel two of my Komodo shoots this week due to this and I will need to figure out talent, location, etc. again. It's an on the day curfew at the moment and we don't know what tomorrow holds, which is throwing a wrench in not only testing the camera but also regular production work.

I'll do my best to get some footage out, hopefully something worth looking at. But it's been rough. The pros to this is I am getting intimate with Komodo through rigorous testing of the camera, unreleased accessories, well known lenses, unreleased adapters, as well as released/unreleased adapters. Testing out lots of rigging and stuff to. Making notes along the way. Filing down parts as necessary on hardware that doesn't "quite fit", etc. I enjoy doing all this and uncovering those little obstacles along the way.

As for Komodo, so far so good. I got more stuff incoming too.
    How about shooting some artistic candle light shots inside house of your kids. Or anybody. Or Red should send Komodo to Mark Toia. ;-)
    Last edited by Jiri Vrozina; 06-03-2020 at 02:38 PM.

As for Komodo, so far so good. I got more stuff incoming too.
    Thank you very much Phil for all these informations. I agree with you, now is not the best time to go out and grab some footage in LA.

Do you think you could show us what the menu looks like? How it's organized? How the controls for ISO/IRIS/SS work?
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Pro Rez is a nice touch. Are the frame rates the same for Pro Rez and the R3d's or do you get to push the rate a little.
    Thank you for all your info Phil really nice to have a trusted non bias info.
    Looking forward to hearing more and getting my hands on mine eventually to come up with my own thoughts.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Thanks for the updates Phil. Please stay safe and healthy.

Hey Phil,

I've been in the trenches with the peaceful protesters since day 1. We've been out here in LA all day and night everyday. Shooting with my iPhone, Canon Eos R, and Mavic. If you want me to get some footage of history in the making with this revolutionary new cam just say the word. All skin tones are represented. This way we could get a little something out for the folks who have waited forever for someone to get their hands on one to see some footage.

Dabling

Chewing through my list of things to do. And yes, we got my dad home safe yesterday from the hospital and he's on the road to recovery.

There's obviously now more Komodos out in the wild, more early orange peeps. So congrats to all.

Today's quick diary and I don't think a clean shot like this has been done yet.

RED Komodo Diary Day 4 or 5-ish
    Moderate break yesterday for a multitude of reasons and during this photo a 5.5 earthquake (killing the game 2020, keep it up!). Digging back in.

So squarely coming up with an apples to erm.... orange comparison from RED DSMC2 to Komodo in size and weight is tricky. Mainly due to Komodo having a built in battery plate, very basic I/O, and lens mount. So here is one of my Monstros rigged up with the Base I/O Expander, V-Module, and with the EF Mount. This should give you and idea of the size difference. The weight difference however is notable and bear in mind this is the Carbon Fiber DSMC2 body.

Weight without caps. Monstro rig = 2428g (5.35lbs). Komodo = 902g. Komodo is just shy of 2lbs naked with nothing on it. About 37% the weight of the rig here and the difference is bigger with the lower power draw and smaller batteries. Lightest weight shooting configuration for me so far is < 1500 grams (~3.3lbs). Really depends on the lens obviously and how much juice, but that's with a 1.5 hour battery.

Interesting stuff. Hopefully that helps you plan out your rigs and all that. Interesting size comparison here really. Obvious differences in max frame rates, horse power, and format size between DSMC2 and Komodo, that's where that all makes sense obviously. But this little beast is tiny and tiny when rigged even.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 06-03-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil,

That's great news about your dad , and thanks for all you have done and will do!

wow, cool to see the size comparison, makes me excited for drone and gimbal work. I hope your dad is doing well! I've spent time in the hospital with am immediate family member in the last couple weeks and know it's especially tense in these times!

Chewing through my list of things to do. And yes, we got my dad home safe yesterday from the hospital and he's on the road to recovery.
    That's great news dude. Take care ;)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Trying to catch up on my testing after losing a day basically.

Here's some good news!

RED Komodo Diary Day 05

A happy discovery and thanks for following along so far as I discover what this thing does. For experienced RED Shooters Sensor Calibration (Black Shading) isn't a foreign concept. It's basically a sensor and pixel check while generating a calibration map to counteract a sensor's inherent fixed pattern noise.

In the DSMC2 world we are currently at about 1 minute per "K" for a calibration. So about 8 minutes on Monstro, logically I would expect 6 minutes on Komodo all things being equal.

However! Komodo 6K can whack out a Sensor Calibration in less than 1.5 minutes. A very welcome speed boost. These don't need to be run everyday really, mostly in large temperature changes. I like to run it ahead of a shooting day, in the studio ahead of a shooting week. Don't know if this is the final spec, but any speed boost here makes people's lives easier on set.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon