Thread: FD Times: Jarred Komodo Interview

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 FD Times: Jarred Komodo Interview 
    Didn't see this posted yet, but Jon Fauer of Film and Digital Times interviewed Jarred recently regarding Komodo.

Nice quick informative read:

https://www.fdtimes.com/2020/10/02/jarred-land-komodo/

Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

How have you been using Komodo lately Phil? Last I saw you were making Large format landscapes with Monstros I believe.

It is a bitchin' looking camera Thats for sure. What happens if you unscrew the Antenna? Does it have a passcode lock screen? Is is good for long from work yet? I heard the file sizes are quite large... Tho I know you were doing some MQ LQ tests I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    How have you been using Komodo lately Phil? Last I saw you were making Large format landscapes with Monstros I believe.
    Yes, if you're following my instagram I wrapped 6 weeks of 3X Monstro array work. Actually using Komodo tomorrow "for a thing". Working on the rig right now actually.

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Yes, if you're following my instagram I wrapped 6 weeks of 3X Monstro array work. Actually using Komodo tomorrow "for a thing". Working on the rig right now actually.
    Ive seen you on FB but working so much lately normal job not cinema. I see Curtis Boggs using his Helium a lot and you on Monster... wonder if the Big Dogs here are over Komodo...

It is a bitchin' looking camera Thats for sure. What happens if you unscrew the Antenna? Does it have a passcode lock screen? Is is good for long from work yet? I heard the file sizes are quite large... Tho I know you were doing some MQ LQ tests I believe.
    Nothing happens if you unscrew the antenna other than drastically reducing WiFi range.

Passcode lock screen, no.

Yes, it's good for long form. There's an episodic using it now multi-cam that I know of. There's a few hundred Komodos out there in the wild now from what I can tell via the various groups online.

Data Rates as of now, camera is still in beta, it looks like this:

REDCODE RAW - HQ, MQ, and now LQ

RED added LQ to this build, again it's beta, so maybe more tweaking. But it appears all three have been tweaked further. Some have been looking for more ratio support as HQ and MQ were only in camera for a long while for the early beta releases. But to give you some idea of the range.

On my 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 cards at 6K 24p:
    - HQ = 1 hour
    - MQ = 1 hour, 37 minutes
    - LQ = 2 hours, 35 minutes
    Did some quick tests when that firmware dropped. I am mostly a HQ or MQ sort of fellow. Now that LQ is in there most of the people who were looking for really long roll times or just really small data footprints seems to have been pleased. We only had HQ and MQ for a while until that firmware dropped.

Ive seen you on FB but working so much lately normal job not cinema. I see Curtis Boggs using his Helium a lot and you on Monster... wonder if the Big Dogs here are over Komodo...
    Giant screen array filming is not what I would say a normal job is, but okay. One is targeted for theatrical exhibition, the other is something opening on the east coast.

Monstro is still the best sensor out there IMO and my array shoots were structured that way, though I did a quick test and still likely might go with Komodo for a different sync shoot because of the benefits of global shutter.

I wouldn't say I'm "over Komodo" at all. It's actually with me literally all the time. Super portable. I can't speak for Curtis, but generally we use the tools we feel best fit the shoot. At the moment I see Komodo being used a bunch as A-Cam for a lot of the newer owners. On productions I see them being used 50 different ways from Sunday. Lots of action cam oriented stuff.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Nothing happens if you unscrew the antenna other than drastically reducing WiFi range.

Passcode lock screen, no.

Yes, it's good for long form. There's an episodic using it now multi-cam that I know of. There's a few hundred Komodos out there in the wild now from what I can tell via the various groups online.

Data Rates as of now, camera is still in beta, it looks like this:

Did some quick tests when that firmware dropped. I am mostly a HQ or MQ sort of fellow. Now that LQ is in there most of the people who were looking for really long roll times or just really small data footprints seems to have been pleased. We only had HQ and MQ for a while until that firmware dropped.

Giant screen array filming is not what I would say a normal job is, but okay. One is targeted for theatrical exhibition, the other is something opening on the east coast.

Monstro is still the best sensor out there IMO and my array shoots were structured that way, though I did a quick test and still likely might go with Komodo for a different sync shoot because of the benefits of global shutter.

I wouldn't say I'm "over Komodo" at all. It's actually with me literally all the time. Super portable. I can't speak for Curtis, but generally we use the tools we feel best fit the shoot. At the moment I see Komodo being used a bunch as A-Cam for a lot of the newer owners. On productions I see them being used 50 different ways from Sunday. Lots of action cam oriented stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the thorough update and information (as always). Id wonder what you think of the BM12k Though I still feel Red is the best looking camera, Maybe it doesn't matter anymore. (Or as you say, pixel design is the new thing to be looking at). Would be interesting to see your rundown of that camera.

Weird place right now for cameras sub $5k, FF, Above $5k is Komodo... and next tier price wise is 12k resolution. THEN gets into DSMCs.... Hm.

THEN
    I've said it elsewhere here on REDuser and certainly in other internet and real world circles. Cameras are becoming much more than just a "what's on the sticker" concept.

It's 2020, nearly 2021. Smartphones "do 8K". But is that 8K comparable to a RED Monstro or Helium camera when it comes to image quality? Is it ideal for a practical shoot or a professional tool? Want RAW? Etc.

To put the flipside to that, you can shoot an entire film on a phone and you can shoot rather carefully to make them look very impressive in a side by side. For instance, if you asked me to make a smartphone look good I'd light flat as hell within 6-7 stops and you'd likely would have a very flexible image off that capture system.

I'm curious to thoroughly test the BMD 12K and I have about a TB of images here off it. I think it's a hell of a price point and hard to argue with, but professionally based on even what early reviewers on YouTube are discovering it 100% needs an OLPF for professional work. And I'm certain, as we've seen before, a 3rd party option will come. And in many ways I think that camera is all about 4K and perhaps 8K image making. Sort of like Komodo being ideal for a 6K to 4K workflow. It's also early days for that camera and there's a few things they are certainly working on. Which seems to be par for the course in these rapidly moving times.

We've seen a wild year in the camera space all in the last 365 days. RED Komodo, Canon C70, Sony FX6, BMD 12K, Canon C500, Sony FX9, Canon C300 MK II etc. Not to mention the mirrorless stuff like the Canon R5 and Sony A7sIII. More cameras than I'd expect during a year like this worldwide, but many things are obviously in development long before a pandemic hits the scene. It does hurt manufacturing and supply for sure.

The only thing that is worth looking at is which of these cameras fit your needs. Some people truly get it. Some people don't. Since Komodo's early adopter release I've seen people switch over to Komodo as a platform with several bodies. Saw one guy go with the C70 after the announcement. Saw another buy a Komodo after the C70 announcement. Interesting to see and hear all that.

Though I often reference Komodo as a Utility Camera, I think a lot of people don't grasp what I mean by that. Mainly I think it can be used as an A-Cam, but due to it's size, power requirements, and Global Shutter I think it inspires much more freedom where a small camera that can do those things really can flex. Apparently that's sort of why it was invented in the first place. Mounting a Ranger on a hood with a gimbal is one thing, Komodo requires far less rigging for a similar setup and you won't cry when your camera falls off the hood. Perhaps I should say you won't cry as much.

I view cameras as marketed towards pricing tiers and ideally their performance makes up for their price point. Generally speaking I'd say to date most cameras released "make sense" as to where their release price has been towards what they offer. There's a few out there that I remember going "that's about $1200-$8000" too much or whatever, but generally all have been in the ballpark. As to whether they inspire a purchase or captivate filmmakers to use them, that's a more interesting proposition. Some cameras have had a really hard time breaking into certain segments. Other's have become defacto standards now.

To that point given the wild releases in the sub-$5K arena, the $5K-$10K world, and the $10K-$20K stuff we've seen that I've listed. I'm wondering mostly what premium cameras will look like in the future and what they will offer. For instance the Arri S35 coming around the corner. Where and how that is priced will be interesting and certainly the camera will rent. And then there's whatever DSMC3 shapes up to be.

Back to Komodo, I think the biggest shockers to me is how small, quiet, and low power the thing is. Not to mention I like the images off of it. If I had to go film a remote documentary in the middle of nowhere tomorrow I'd pack up 4 Komodos and not give it a second thought.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I've said it elsewhere here on REDuser and certainly in other internet and real world circles. Cameras are becoming much more than just a "what's on the sticker" concept.

It's 2020, nearly 2021. Smartphones "do 8K". But is that 8K comparable to a RED Monstro or Helium camera when it comes to image quality? Is it ideal for a practical shoot or a professional tool? Want RAW? Etc.

To put the flipside to that, you can shoot an entire film on a phone and you can shoot rather carefully to make them look very impressive in a side by side. For instance, if you asked me to make a smartphone look good I'd light flat as hell within 6-7 stops and you'd likely would have a very flexible image off that capture system.

I'm curious to thoroughly test the BMD 12K and I have about a TB of images here off it. I think it's a hell of a price point and hard to argue with, but professionally based on even what early reviewers on YouTube are discovering it 100% needs an OLPF for professional work. And I'm certain, as we've seen before, a 3rd party option will come. And in many ways I think that camera is all about 4K and perhaps 8K image making. Sort of like Komodo being ideal for a 6K to 4K workflow. It's also early days for that camera and there's a few things they are certainly working on. Which seems to be par for the course in these rapidly moving times.

We've seen a wild year in the camera space all in the last 365 days. RED Komodo, Canon C70, Sony FX6, BMD 12K, Canon C500, Sony FX9, Canon C300 MK II etc. Not to mention the mirrorless stuff like the Canon R5 and Sony A7sIII. More cameras than I'd expect during a year like this worldwide, but many things are obviously in development long before a pandemic hits the scene. It does hurt manufacturing and supply for sure.

The only thing that is worth looking at is which of these cameras fit your needs. Some people truly get it. Some people don't. Since Komodo's early adopter release I've seen people switch over to Komodo as a platform with several bodies. Saw one guy go with the C70 after the announcement. Saw another buy a Komodo after the C70 announcement. Interesting to see and hear all that.

Though I often reference Komodo as a Utility Camera, I think a lot of people don't grasp what I mean by that. Mainly I think it can be used as an A-Cam, but due to it's size, power requirements, and Global Shutter I think it inspires much more freedom where a small camera that can do those things really can flex. Apparently that's sort of why it was invented in the first place. Mounting a Ranger on a hood with a gimbal is one thing, Komodo requires far less rigging for a similar setup and you won't cry when your camera falls off the hood. Perhaps I should say you won't cry as much.

I view cameras as marketed towards pricing tiers and ideally their performance makes up for their price point. Generally speaking I'd say to date most cameras released "make sense" as to where their release price has been towards what they offer. There's a few out there that I remember going "that's about $1200-$8000" too much or whatever, but generally all have been in the ballpark. As to whether they inspire a purchase or captivate filmmakers to use them, that's a more interesting proposition. Some cameras have had a really hard time breaking into certain segments. Other's have become defacto standards now.

To that point given the wild releases in the sub-$5K arena, the $5K-$10K world, and the $10K-$20K stuff we've seen that I've listed. I'm wondering mostly what premium cameras will look like in the future and what they will offer. For instance the Arri S35 coming around the corner. Where and how that is priced will be interesting and certainly the camera will rent. And then there's whatever DSMC3 shapes up to be.

Back to Komodo, I think the biggest shockers to me is how small, quiet, and low power the thing is. Not to mention I like the images off of it. If I had to go film a remote documentary in the middle of nowhere tomorrow I'd pack up 4 Komodos and not give it a second thought.
    Awesome.

Reading the article, one of Jarred's comments stuck out to me, especially in light of much of the talk on the FB Komodo Users lately about low-light noise. I wonder if this is the situation a lot of people are experiencing. The Komodo/Gemini/Helium tests that Tim Daust posted certainly don't indicate a "noisy" camera.

"On LQ setting, a high ISO setting in very underexposed situations with tons of detail, the noise is a bit more pronounced. The same situation with an HQ setting would result in some noise that is noticeably better than normal. So, you can get the best of both worlds if you give it the bandwidth."
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M