Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Interestingly I think the touch screen is actually pretty damn responsive, but I will say one thing about it. You can operate purely through touch on the top screen or you can use the buttons, or much more excitingly, a combination of the two interfaces. You have to keep in mind that this camera is brand spanking new and most people at the moment are really unfamiliar with it despite the menus being simplified and responsive.

After a week of beating on the camera I use the touch and buttons and I'm zipping in and out pretty fast. Interestingly I have tested everything with thick gloves as well to see if you can do that. Something I had to deal with when working with NASA and the ISS a couple years back was that general concept via a fairly robust manual.
    Phil, I can't remember if this is real or not, is it going to be an option to monitor the video feed via a phone display? If so, would there potentially be a third interface like the DSMC2 monitors?

Or am I getting this confused with just the iOS/Android RED Control app.
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

Just played the file.
    Komodo has a problem: makes everybody look like Brad Pitt, first Dr Fauci, now Phil...
    Must be a kind of post processing issue due to beta.

Fix that Jarred, please.

🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The funny thing about the sound in that clip is five things:
    1. The small fan sound you here is the Hive 200-C that's about 10-12 feet behind me.
    2. The Shotgun Mic is leaning against the tripod and just a few inches away from Komodo.
    3. We actually had very, very high winds in LA that night and I did my best to record during a low wind gap.
    4. I setup the lights and did this around 3am and the first take my refrigerator in my kitchen turned on. And it was the best take!
    5. Camera was mostly up and turned during an 18 hour period, I was doing recording and power kill tests.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to convey how quiet the camera is, but I suspect recording in the field is the best way. It is by far the quietest RED camera to date. Not really about measuring dBs here because room tone in my home is too loud.

It's not dead quiet, there is still a small fan, but for people who need to roll audio, you'll be extremely happily surprised.

That's really good news. Do you think they could turn the air flow of the camera ;-) to have it expell the hot air to the right side?

Phil, thank you for uploading a smaller file. I was able to download it now. Here's my take on it, that includes the desaturated look of many films, but most importantly, the texture of 35mm film (that goes further ahead than just grain).

Hello, the file shows up as Offline in RCX but it's online in Resolve. Anyone has the same problem?

I'm impressed by the low noise. I would probably shoot with it at 1600 iso.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    Phil, I can't remember if this is real or not, is it going to be an option to monitor the video feed via a phone display? If so, would there potentially be a third interface like the DSMC2 monitors?
    I'm not Phil but so many of these questions were discussed in the long livestream. At over 5 hrs, it would be great if someone (I know I can't) could distill all the facts revealed there.

But to your question, it is my understanding from that discussion that Red Control is a platform for monitoring video as well as controlling Komodo parameters. And video can also be monitored on a computer via an ad hoc web server that displays the video feed.
    Of course video can also be monitored on an external screen via SDI (no HDMI) output on Komodo.

Though this isn't about monitoring, but I believe Jarred hinted that footage might be able to be captured over high speed ethernet. Did anyone else hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Jarred said in the long live stream that some of what he called "warm fuzzy" capabilities like pre-record and time-lapse will most certainly be added, though it may still be awhile as there are so many other things they are concentrating on now.
    Yep. We'll be seeing some firmware updates along the way to add some new features, stuff we want and some stuff that just needs a smidge of optimizing. Gotta keep in mind that RED allowed some pretty big filmmakers to beat on this Komodo on some pretty demanding films first and we all benefited from those early days. Similarly the early Orange and it looks like Yellow is next cams are producing a lot of feedback.

I've been pretty transparent that I'm testing the hell out of this thing and I actually mean that. Filmmaker-wise I have more gear and use case scenarios I can throw at this thing than many peeps.

Now that pro audio stuff is out of the way I'm opening what I've labelled "pandora's box" (it's literally called that on my gear shelf) for on camera audio solutions this week for instance. I've already had it on a few gimbals, you'll see that shortly. I've already enjoyed the chaos of bolting smaller XLR recorders on there for dual system sound. When I can chew into that breakout box with the I/O, Sync, Timecode, Genlock, and Control on there I'll dive back into the pro stuff again.

The other odd bug is I'm testing prototype accessories along the way. Making modifications, recommending changes, etc. You're seeing stuff here so far I'm happy with mainly when it comes to accessories. I'm waiting on a few more weird things too. I will say, I have some very interesting lenses I'm looking at right now that are rather nice for the price, but they are not-yet-announced. Glass-wise, the world is your oyster when it comes to Komodo. There's a bunch of inexpensive through very expensive options as well as big and very, very small lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by yann LHENORET View Post
    Just played the file.
    Komodo has a problem: makes everybody look like Brad Pitt, first Dr Fauci, now Phil...
    Must be a kind of post processing issue due to beta.
    That was hilarious! Spooky too. Just watched Ad Astra, which is on HBOmax btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post

Or am I getting this confused with just the iOS/Android RED Control app.
    I suspect we're going to learn a lot and a lot is shrouded in mystery still. RED Control is the new "foolControl" and it is apparently a free app. Don't know if it only works with Komodo, but RED Control is what works with it. We don't have that.

Don't know the full extent of hard line phone stuff, but it occurred to me Jarred mentioned something about USB-C via possibly the top pogos. My mind goes pretty wild when I think all that is possible there actually.

That's all a mystery right now to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schmid View Post
    Hi Phil,

Is there a pre-record option on the Komodo like DSMC2? If not, any idea if it'll added in future update?
    Thanks,
    As mentioned, sounds like it's coming and coming via firmware soon.

What I'm looking forward to is intervalometer and timelapse stuff. Komodo with it's low power draw is going to be wild for that.

You guys don't recall, but the early DSMC and DSMC2 timelapse stuff I did was blowing production's minds because I had a REDCODE RAW "clip" immediately after the take and didn't have to process a bazillion camera raw frames back at the hotel overnight. I had a producer standing next to me looking at playback after we rolled one and he literally was freaking out that I wasn't scrolling through stills.

Oh, and for those who can't handle the 30GB or 2.5GB download and just need R3D Snapshots from Komodo, here's some from that clip. 80MB:
    http://www.phfx.com/temp/RED_Komodo_..._snapShots.zip
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    (snip) I believe Jarred hinted that footage might be able to be captured over high speed ethernet. Did anyone else hear that?
    Tethered recording would be sweet. Sure hope it's via 10GigE or USB-C, NOT GigE.

I wonder if the live stream could be transcribed by AI to support keyword searching? Even during quarantine, 5 hours is a marathon.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Phil's sample R3D file in an ACES workflow.
    Would love to see this on a calibrated display. On my MBP the skin tones and gamma look very good.

Cheers - #19