Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    I'd imagine there are quite a few advancements working in unison to improve IQ. I'd also note that in addition to the large artifacts normally associated with CMOS smear, I'd expect some of the more subtle artifacts to be reduced as well. If true, I'd expect the overall image to "tighten up" and hold edges more cleanly. Then you can really leverage the elimination of RS artifacts.
    It's still early, but I'm loving Komodo's trajectory. It also would seem to be a terrific test bed for DSMC3...

Cheers - #19

KipperTie's footage looks nice and tasty.

I've been busy with stuff the last few days, but enjoy this little collection of setups from my Day 15-ish diary.

RED Komodo Diary: Day 15

Apologies for being off the air a couple days, tending to things that must be done. But I've been active testing and shooting nonetheless. I thought this medley of setups was an interesting collage.

Top/left is my nimble Belly Cam setup dangling via strap! This is now the 3rd iteration of me wearing my camera around my neck, thst started with the DSMC bodies, which were obviously larger/heavier. With Komodo it's a vastly smaller package and that setup with the 38mm f/2.8 vintage Schneider Xenar is about 4lbs with battery! That's a 3D printed adapter going into an RF>Leica-M adapter. My M-Mount Voigtlanders are a real treat on this as well. Need that MS Optics 28mm real bad. A couple of eyebolts screwed into my GDU Timmy Ribs and job done for the strap.

Next frame, Canon RF>EF Adapter with my beloved Zeiss Otus Primes. A joy to use on their own as well as with a speed booster (hot tip, reducers are useful to expand that FOV when shooting 120fps slowmo at 2K). Almost like it was made for that. Last frame is my glorious big chonker of a technical achievement that is the Tokina Cinema Vista 135mm T1.5. it's mounted via the Wooden Camera RF>PL adapter. This was actually a test to see if I needed a lens support in addition to the support rod on the mount and I can confirm, at least for this big boy, I can rock it stable without the extra rod support. There's a bit of quality of life testing in there if you look closely to see if I can fold down that SmallHD Cine 7, which might be how I leave it rigged in a shoulder bag.

Interestingly the top/left setup with power fits in my smallest camera bag where I usually sling a still camera and a couple of smaller lenses. You can see I'm dancing between support sizes and concepts from my OConnor 1040 Ultimate, to mounting platforms I use for my HDRI camera rigs, all the way to travel friendly. I don't know how everybody else will rig theirs, but it is nice being able to use much smaller and portable gear particularly for locked off setups.

Shooting a bunch this coming week. Working on a script and color stuff for the rest of the evening if you got any questions.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phil, thanks for posting. Interesting configurations. Have you had an opportunity to shoot anything new with the Komodo that you could share. Something that shows off the DR with people for skin tones?

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    Hey Phil, thanks for posting. Interesting configurations. Have you had an opportunity to shoot anything new with the Komodo that you could share. Something that shows off the DR with people for skin tones?
    He did shoot something with himself :

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Interestingly I think the touch screen is actually pretty damn responsive, but I will say one thing about it. You can operate purely through touch on the top screen or you can use the buttons, or much more excitingly, a combination of the two interfaces. You have to keep in mind that this camera is brand spanking new and most people at the moment are really unfamiliar with it despite the menus being simplified and responsive.

After a week of beating on the camera I use the touch and buttons and I'm zipping in and out pretty fast. Interestingly I have tested everything with thick gloves as well to see if you can do that. Something I had to deal with when working with NASA and the ISS a couple years back was that general concept via a fairly robust manual.

Oh, and for those up at night here, I've exported a 9 second trim of the longer clip I uploaded due to some not being able to grab the full 30GB one. This one is 2.5GB:

http://www.phfx.com/temp/RED_Komodo_...eClip_tiny.zip
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    He did shoot something with himself :
    Yes, I know he did, but that studio setting shoot really didn’t push dynamic range. Or is there another video that perhaps I missed? Just curious to learn more.

So today's "the wanna get nuts, let's get nuts" day with Komodo.

Big power and RED CONTROL with wireless monitoring:

Some words to go allow with the squid.

Komodo Diary: Unexpected Day 16 entry

Didn't know I had more diary entries, but I keep finding fun stuff to rap about. Today I put on my best robe, tapped into my inner Emperor Palpatine and inspired by Jaws tossed a Core SWX shark fin dual V-Mount with a couple Anton Bauer 150Wh Dionic XTs fed into the Wooden Camera plate and screamed "unlimited power!" as this nets me about 12.5 hours of camera up time. Fun thing is I have bricks that are twice this size and I don't know why I would need a camera on for over a day, but hey, you don't know until you know right?

I continued on the path the dark side, tapped into the force of WiFi, and also tested out the RED CONTROL app on my well abused Apple iPad Pro. This app is the evolution of FoolControl if you aren't new to the RED world, for those that are, this is full wireless camera control on IOS and coming to Android soon from the whispers I hear in my head. However, what is very new is the insanely impressive low latency wireless monitoring through the app. Was a bit shocked by it actually. I don't know if I'd pull live focus through it, but this is powerful stuff and I can generally operate to set frame and critical focus and check exposure at a surprising range. I've included a few views of the full screen monitoring, monitor with tools, and tools with preview image. And yes, you can actually playback and all that good stuff too. Pretty phenomenal.

Won't say if I've tested recording to other media, like you know, straight to a RAID array working volume or anything, but I'm shocked at all the things I have been able to do in a couple weeks with this cubic camera. Today was a lot of that sort of creative thinking. Lens of the day = Zeiss CZ 28-80 T2.9 as I continue on my unholy marriage, merging, and medley of various brands, lenses, and accessories

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Do we know if RED Control will be free and/or work with DSMC1~3 (sans monitoring)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Do we know if RED Control will be free and/or work with DSMC1~3 (sans monitoring)?
    Unknown about DSMC 1 and 2 compatibility, but I can't fathom RED putting this much effort in and not being compatible with the future cameras like DSMC3 and Komodo or whatever else is coming.

Gah. It's early days still, but I'm telling you this whole thing closes a big loop for us who use stuff like this. I've been using Foolcontrol a bunch when doing helicopter aerial work in prep or even in the air. This gives me so much happy for now and the future with the wireless monitoring. It's very cool.

But yes, RED CONTROL the app is indeed free now, which is a big hell yes from me.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Yeah, I presumed as much (re: DSMC3). And it certainly sounds next level, what with the monitoring.

So does that mean the beta can’t find your DSMC2 when powered on? (I figure it’s like FC, where there’s a list of scanned cameras at the launch of the app.)

Hey I was wondering something : could the new Redcode names mean VBR instead of CBR compression ?
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...