Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    *snicker* Don't ask me about what I"m using in the photos below. Yet.

I've been tested lots of gear now for about the last 90 days, gah I can't believe that, but as is the way of the pandemic. Some stuff I can show, some I cannot. This week a few more announcements will allow for breaking of the embargo. Next week too!

As of this second I haven't noticed a truly discernible power draw difference between rolling and not. If it is there, it's slight. A 98Wh batter gets you about 4 hours of runtime. Bare in mind this is before Stormtroopers and Vaders enter the fray.

Two quickies tonight.

I am indeed testing and essentially announcing the SmallHD Focus SDI Pro. Was allowed to finally chat about it publicly. It is similar to the current Focus lineup, but has a couple MAJOR differences that will be relevant to those who ride on the backs of Komodos:

I've been also further exploring getting sound into this little bad boy. Today's exercise in creative rigging was the Sonosax M2D2, which is a tidy and powerful pream/mixer. No recording features, so similar in some ways to the Beachtek stuff, but a significantly upgrade in quality and features. The audio in my first sample clip was fed through the line out of a Sound Devices Mix-Pre 10 II. I've tested the Internal Mic as well as general on board microphones. Some of those could use a decent clean boost in gain, Komodo does that, but a dedicated one allows for far more freedom.

Outside of that, I hope to show the breakout I/O box shortly. It allows for jamming and sending of Timecode and other good things.

Oh, and in the above two workflows I'm exploring off the beaten path anamorphic setups. Using the SmallHD to Desqueeze to monitor as well as a frame guide as I'm using the full 6K 17:9 image from Komodo. Useful to roll this way for reframing.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, enough about the Komodo. Now what about this new smallHD monitor that you speak of...?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, enough about the Komodo. Now what about this new smallHD monitor that you speak of...?
    You won't have any news as he has a NDA I think... But while waiting I can share the M2D2 fonctionnality for DSLR use ;-)

Surely Wooden Camera will release one of their audio boxes for Komodo?
    Otherwise that Sonosax looks pretty good.
    Phil J W Moreton - Cinematographer - London

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W
    Arri Alura 18-80mm, Xenon FFs, Leica R PL, RT Motion +++

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moreton View Post
    Surely Wooden Camera will release one of their audio boxes for Komodo?
    Otherwise that Sonosax looks pretty good.
    Dsmc2 A-box should work fine

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Different tools for different jobs ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I'm certainly curious what WC will come up with for Komodo actually. But as Patrick said, it's a pretty different tool. The M2D2 has a whole bunch of features like compression, limiting, etc. Also boosts to +75dB, perhaps more if I explore something else today. That's a bit crazy, but I do crazy things.

Speaking of which.

Here's Komodo with a Speedbooster and that fancy new Zhongyi 50mm f/0.95. With the focal reducer that nets a wider FOV at about f/0.7.

Interestingly, this less has a fairly weird design and though we don't talk about reducers much in depth, this isn't an scientific or astrology site :), the projected image circle is actually larger than I expected. For instance, this lens covers Monstro 8K no problem, but the focus reduced image is actually producing an image circle that's a bit larger. Which causes issues at 6K 17:9 when stopping down beyond f/2.8 as well as an entirely different vignette performance.

This for me was mainly an experiment in hyper-fast optics. I need to measure the actual T-Stop here, but I suspect it's at T1 or a hair faster center frame.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phil who makes those coiled right angle SDI cables? (nvm just typed the same thing into Google and found a billion options)

Also very interested to see what that Dtap is connected to in your last photo. Have been wondering if there will be good ways to power everything from a single batter and it looks like that is definitely going to be the case. The DC-in on the Komodo is the same as the DSMC2 correct? Just wondering if I might be able to use the Red's v-lock belt clip adapter plate for when I want to mount the Komodo in a compact space in a car or something but be able to power it and a few other things with that adapter plate I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Hey Phil who makes those coiled right angle SDI cables? (nvm just typed the same thing into Google and found a billion options)

Also very interested to see what that Dtap is connected to in your last photo. Have been wondering if there will be good ways to power everything from a single batter and it looks like that is definitely going to be the case. The DC-in on the Komodo is the same as the DSMC2 correct? Just wondering if I might be able to use the Red's v-lock belt clip adapter plate for when I want to mount the Komodo in a compact space in a car or something but be able to power it and a few other things with that adapter plate I already have.

Not the same cable as DSMC2. It’s just a 2pin lemo to dtap. It the lemo polarity is reversed than the regular type.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post

The DC IN is actually a different protocol, needs to be actually. It's a 2-pin Lemo. Jarred shared the Pins recently:

Heh. And at this point I can confirm I did some rewiring the first week of Komodo being in my life to feed it power. Still have a couple D-Taps I need to rip apart and rewire.

I view Komodo in a few different ways. Mostly this equates to how you want to rig the camera. Lightest weight option and most portable is indeed the BP Batteries. If that is of the highest order to your needs, Komodo will blow your mind in terms of how small you can rig it. I'm not exaggerating when I have rigged fully at <4lbs.

Beyond that is the general production day mindset. In which case you will likely be loading up a few accessories on there. Powering everything will then become either a choice between dedicated batteries on the devices/accessories or just feeding everything likely through a V-Mount or G-Mount plate of some sort. The one in the picture above I can't quite talk about yet, but it's a decent option. You've also seen the Wooden Camera one on my Komodo, also a good option. I sent two back to manufacturers I didn't like for reasons (if I don't like stuff you won't see it and I certainly won't use it), but you'll be spoiled for good power distro options for Komodo relatively soon. D-Tap is the way for power to accessories really, nothing new there. Most good options have 2-3 D-Taps on there to help feed monitors, recorders, motors, on board lights for interviews, etc. Even the batteries themselves often have a D-Tap or two if you need to make a rig with lots of dangle potential. USB ports are making a valid appearance for the first time in my cinematic journey in over 20 years and actually are useful too.

The good news is Komodo's power draw is pretty low, but as I've mentioned in particular some of these bright LCDs, which are useful for daylight monitoring, suck energy. It's a fascinating balancing act between camera size, accessorizing, and camera uptime. I find myself making a choice everyday when I go out if I'm tossing a 5" "regular" LCD or OLED even or a bigger and brighter 7" based on just how big I want my rig and how long I want it to run.

This might not be mind blowing news as this is how it works in some camps, but I've fully hoped onto the DSMC2 system with all the cable-less stuff and I haven't had much of this rigging in my life outside of the occasional timecode box lately. At the same time, Komodo is the smallest thing in the world that makes images like it does with the feature it supports.

Oddly fun for a guy like me, but also early on a crazy adventure in figuring it all out!

Before I had various base plates for instance I made a janky riser with a cheese plate to the GDU Touch N' Go back into a 19mm rod support because the first 48 hours with the camera were that weird. Now I have good and better options for standard working and mounting worlds. Komodo oddly reminds me the most of Dragon 8K VV because nearly everything I did that first year with that camera was new. Komodo has just been a much, much more compressed timeline. More happened in 2 weeks from accessory manufacturers than I've ever seen before. Sometimes machining bits for me to test out and overnight shipping for me to test out. Hot and fast paced June really. Shortly you'll see everybody's offerings though.

They way this used to work before is some crazy shot or film would need something and a camera needed to be rigged in a weird way, I then needed to hike over to Panavision to beg a machinist there or a freelancer to make me a part, this was before CNC was so readily available, so drills and metal lathes, and boom I'd have some sort of plate in a few weeks. That is now happening sometimes same day these days. Insane.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phill, are you hacking up Teradek 2 pin lemo cables to reverse their polarity to use for komodo or something else?