Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Me. Komodo. Zeiss CP.3 35mm. Crazy Grade.

This is how I've essentially looked for the last 5 months.
    Here’s the full vid if anyone looking for it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RBE4fZLqrVQ

I just had a thought pop in my mind this morning. How resilient is the komodo top screen? Like would some tempered glass screen protector make sense? Or would be fine long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Me. Komodo. Zeiss CP.3 35mm. Crazy Grade.

This is how I've essentially looked for the last 5 months.
    is KOMODO for stills?

I love the white ones. They are really cool. But $900 more than the general version.

Ahoy there lads and ladies,

Thought I'd jump in as I've been a bit swamped as of late.

There was a new beta dropped for Komodo recently, made a fast little gram on it:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiabioHA3p/

I'll chat about some of the notable updates.

REDCODE RAW - HQ, MQ, and now LQ

RED added LQ to this build, again it's beta, so maybe more tweaking. But it appears all three have been tweaked further. Some have been looking for more ratio support as HQ and MQ were only in camera for a long while for the early beta releases. But to give you some idea of the range.

On my 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 cards at 6K 24p:
    - HQ = 1 hour
    - MQ = 1 hour, 37 minutes
    - LQ = 2 hours, 35 minutes

So yeah. Don't know if RED has this locked yet, but there's the long roll times some were hoping for. I need to do some side by sides, and much like before I wouldn't shoot mega high frequency detail with a high compression ratio if visual fidelity of of the upmost priority, most get that and roll HQ or MQ already.

SDI Overlays

Yay. Finally having status and info on screen in familiar ways is back again. Super nice to have this now. I felt a bit naked without it.

Magnify

Magnify is now in camera, another yay! Komodo's Magnify is radically different than DSMC2 which tells you a lot really. It's an instant punch in. You can punch in on the LCD or SDI or both. Then you drag your finger on the LCD to where you want to focus on. And you can record with it enabled if that's needed. Big high fives here. I'm sure more features will come to this, but this "feels" so right. And I think once touch LCD, phone, or whatever solutions are incoming it's sort of a mischief managed situation.

Video Tools Pane

Now pressing the RAW Meters on the LCD loads up the Video Tools Pane. Nice to have these at your fingertips and you can toggle what goes out to the LCD or SDI right from here. Exposure, Video Check, Peaking, etc. It's in my gram. Very slick.

Audio Pane

Similarly Audio Pane is a one stop shop to control audio goodies. Again, very nice.

Pre-Record

Yep, it's in there now. Up to 30 seconds of pre-roll. I don't use this much, but I know Natural History peeps love it bunches.

So yeah, big update and more than those quick nuggets. I'm on my 2nd shoot as we are continuing to adapt to the pandemic. Things are slowly picking up more and more with major productions already being live or even once again shut down depending on circumstances. Weird times indeed stateside. We've been having weekly Zoom calls with filmmakers all over the states and even world occasionally to hear how things are going in each person's unique circumstances and it does seem a lot of peeps have grabbed work in the last month and are taking the appropriate precautions with protocols or safety officers.

Just a quick update, but more somewhat soon.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Whelp one more surprise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEu950fnoDd/

That right there is Komodo being controlled through the SmallHD Focus Pro SDI. A new prototype arrive with the cable ports where I like them, hence the rather Terminator-vibe going on here. A very early look, but this is exactly what I've been hoping for really. Combined with the latest beta firmware that dropped with Magnify and all that Komodo is feeling a bit more whole when it comes to just shooting convenience related things.

In the video I'm changing REDCODE RAW Compression, triggering Record, and selecting a LUT via the camera menu though the SmallHD.

I will say, using the SmallHD in tandem with the LCD is pretty neat, mentioned it early, but now with the touch interface things are shaping up. Using the Focus or Exposure Tools on the LCD and having the monitor dedicated to picture is becoming something I'm real fond of.

I'm knee deep in prep for next week's shoot, but this was a nice Friday surprise to poke around with.

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

How is the brightness on the new SmallHD? I thought I'd seen the nits were a bit lacking, and curious your thoughts on if it makes a viable monitor for outdoor shooting.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Haban View Post
    How is the brightness on the new SmallHD? I thought I'd seen the nits were a bit lacking, and curious your thoughts on if it makes a viable monitor for outdoor shooting.
    It's not a high bright for sure, but I was outside with it earlier and I could use it.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Is there a thread where we can see the spec of the camera?

I need to know wich memory card is used and the minimum speed.

Patrick