Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    I get it that ergonomically, humans want the camera to be the locus of control for the hands. But that goes away when talking about gimbals or drones.

I don't understand your point about flimsy 15mm rods, because in this case you are not talking about the rods supporting the lens as much as supporting the < 1kg camera. When you connect to a bridge that's at the C.O.G. of such a system, the connection point is going to be so close to the termination point of the rods that there's basically nothing to flex. Unless you have a diagram that shows otherwise.
    Can you post one picture when lenses are connected to bridge plate, so COG is at some new point. And what to do with all the staff like Arri plates, bridgeplates, battery-mounts and so on, that people use at rental houses? Not all the lenses can be easily mounted to the rods. And anyway in usual configuration its a second point of contact and not the only one.

Phil - you're probably already working on this but what kind of run time are you getting with the BP-955/975 batteries and the GDU 98WH mini v-lock battery? Jarred mentioned about 3-hours with two BP-955 batteries. Any significant drain from the batteries when the camera is powered off?

Also, how did you mount the v-lock plate to the camera? Couldn't see the mounting point in your photo.

Thanks for all the testing - can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

Phil, are you going to upload RAW FILES for download in the future so that we can see at home? Thanks! ;)

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    Eight pages and no footage?
    Be patient! Let the guy breathe. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Jadot View Post
    How's the auto focus?
    Is there sensor stabilization?
    Can you weigh the lightest set up possible? (What does under 2lbs mean?)
    AF is still being developed, but it is phase detection based. It's not going to be Sony-like for a while - that stuff takes time. No IBIS, either.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Hi,I wpas wondering about the same thing, could it be a phony Canon bp you insert adapted to the v-Mount ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    I get it that ergonomically, humans want the camera to be the locus of control for the hands. But that goes away when talking about gimbals or drones.

I don't understand your point about flimsy 15mm rods, because in this case you are not talking about the rods supporting the lens as much as supporting the < 1kg camera. When you connect to a bridge that's at the C.O.G. of such a system, the connection point is going to be so close to the termination point of the rods that there's basically nothing to flex. Unless you have a diagram that shows otherwise.
    I get your point, but it actually works only for an owner-op style, where you don't change lens families often. My practice is - I pick a lens family for every new set, usually I go rental lenses and my own camera body. In that scenario you have to build-up around camera, not a lens. Unless you buy support for any lens out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    I get your point, but it actually works only for an owner-op style, where you don't change lens families often. My practice is - I pick a lens family for every new set, usually I go rental lenses and my own camera body. In that scenario you have to build-up around camera, not a lens. Unless you buy support for any lens out there.
    Cool! Maybe I wasn't being clear enough that I was talking about a specific lens family. In any case, I would love to see some clever engineering from Wooden Camera and/or Tokina to support this!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Hey Phil,

I mostly lurk and rarely come out of my cave to post, but just wanted to say thanks for always putting so much thorough information on here. It's definitely saved me a few times. How do you think Komodo's form factor would compare to more traditional stills cameras for shooting stills? I wonder if that gap between dsmc2 and a traditional stills camera is closing with the new form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Rockenstyre View Post
    Hey Phil,

I mostly lurk and rarely come out of my cave to post, but just wanted to say thanks for always putting so much thorough information on here. It's definitely saved me a few times. How do you think Komodo's form factor would compare to more traditional stills cameras for shooting stills? I wonder if that gap between dsmc2 and a traditional stills camera is closing with the new form factor.
    If your EDC (every day carry) stills camera is an RB67, it should be very similar.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Is there a single frame shooting mode?
    Not currently, but probably will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    Eight pages and no footage?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    Is the Black Shading ritual still required with the lizard?
    Yes, Sensor Calibration is in there and yes RED is still trying to get the most out of what you can get out of a sensor. Outside of the first day of testing Sensor Calibration though, I haven't actually re-calibrated since.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Jadot View Post
    How's the auto focus?
    Is there sensor stabilization?
    Can you weigh the lightest set up possible? (What does under 2lbs mean?)
    I'll dig in a bit to AF, but honestly it's going to be the thing that will be most worked on to get it to where people really want it.

No Sensor Stabilization, but there is Global Shutter however.

I gotcha on that last question in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    Phil - you're probably already working on this but what kind of run time are you getting with the BP-955/975 batteries and the GDU 98WH mini v-lock battery? Jarred mentioned about 3-hours with two BP-955 batteries. Any significant drain from the batteries when the camera is powered off?

Also, how did you mount the v-lock plate to the camera? Couldn't see the mounting point in your photo.

Thanks for all the testing - can't wait to get my hands on it.
    I have it rigged differently at the moment, but I'll snap some other angles of that battery plate. Basically there's a sliding plate that goes into the BP battery mount, Wooden Camera is making a single BP and double slot versions. That has a little friction lock with a kip handle so you can change the angle of the battery if needed for balance or rigging.

Battery draw right now seems to be somewhere between 24 and 30Wh. About 3 hours with two BP-955s basically if you are using the Canon ones. Still haven't done my big battery burns, but I will eventually. Power draw might change a bit as stuff is added or optimized, but generally pretty impressed on how little you actually need for a decent up time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Glowskey View Post
    Phil, are you going to upload RAW FILES for download in the future so that we can see at home? Thanks! ;)
    Who knows what mysterious lurk in the heart of man?

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Appreciate the testing, Phil-- already very exciting new information.

I'm also looking forward to footage, but family and safety first! We now have an 8 pm curfew here in NYC and, among other things, it definitely changes the way you think about your day...
    Appreciate that.

For those unaware of what's happening here in Los Angeles outside of the precautions being taken for Covid-19 to film "anything" the recent protests and riots have evoked mandated curfews citywide. Depending on where you are typically between 5pm-6am, some areas as early as 1pm-6am. I've had to cancel two of my Komodo shoots this week due to this and I will need to figure out talent, location, etc. again. It's an on the day curfew at the moment and we don't know what tomorrow holds, which is throwing a wrench in not only testing the camera but also regular production work.

I'll do my best to get some footage out, hopefully something worth looking at. But it's been rough. The pros to this is I am getting intimate with Komodo through rigorous testing of the camera, unreleased accessories, well known lenses, unreleased adapters, as well as released/unreleased adapters. Testing out lots of rigging and stuff to. Making notes along the way. Filing down parts as necessary on hardware that doesn't "quite fit", etc. I enjoy doing all this and uncovering those little obstacles along the way.

As for Komodo, so far so good. I got more stuff incoming too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon