Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    I know people are excited, but I'm just not convinced of the value of 4k screens in these size ranges-- I doubt that I'd be able to tell the difference from quality HD. That said, 4k signal input is useful in an HD screen if it allows high-res examination of details (to check focus, etc.). For me, anyway-- not trying to pick a fight with anyone!
    4K is about 33% more resolution than a 12” iPad Pro screen. As someone who sees pixels on the iPad Pro Retina display and thinks it could be sharper, this would be welcome. Seeing a 4K playback in a compact field setup or field-worthy monitor could be a godsend.

I’d take 4K in a 7” monitor or viewfinder any day.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Here are the Mac and Windows link to Redcine-X Pro 52.0.49422

Redcine-X Pro

Mac Version 52.0.49422 5/14/2020

https://www.red.com/download/redcine-x-pro-mac

Windows Version 52.0.49422 5/14/2020

https://www.red.com/download/redcine-x-pro-win
    Thanks my Bro! :)

the raw file uploaded by PHIL is really good! I work very well on REDCINE-X .. I'm surprised, really :) I'm waiting for more :)
    It seems to me that the audio that KOMODO records is slightly shifted? does it seem to me
    Phil Glowskey - Producer of Music Video - Poland
    RED Camera User

Phil,

You're welcome! the audio seemed fine to me. it could be the debayer resolution you are watching it in. Under "Edit", at the top of the Viewer window, try choosing a lower Debayer resolution like for example "1/4" or even "1/8" depending on your system and see if that changes anything.

And at the bottom right-hand area of the Viewer menu make sure the "GPU" icon is grey which means it's enable for smoother playback

Last edited by rand thompson; 06-10-2020 at 06:03 PM.

I don't have a problem with playback - the movie plays smoothly and has a lot of storage in it. Was it not recorded from some source other than the camera?
    Thanks as always for your quick reply. Respect :)
    Phil Glowskey - Producer of Music Video - Poland
    RED Camera User

Phil.

No problem man! Ok I see what you are saying. I believe the sound wasn't recorded in camera. Phil Holland can explain it better. He did however talk about it in post #238.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Maier View Post
    Phil I’d love to hear your thoughts on how many lbs Komodo should be rigged to (including a side handle) for a clean handheld look. I know that’s a very subjective, loaded question. But still interested in your thoughts!
    Yep, fairly subjective and pretty much depends on how much you are looking to lift.

Handheld to me means exactly that, in the hands. For me keeping things in the 5-25lbs range is reasonable for 2 handed operation extended in front of your body. Then you get into shoulder territory for comfort.

A lot of people don't think much about he visual language of handheld, but there is a different between in the hand, in the hands (plural), shoulder, and various "handheld" rigging options. For DPs who understand the true nature of just being able to lift up the camera and kinda "tommy gun it" that's where Komodo is opening new doors. I think there have been a few BTS images of big DPs and even Bay doing just that. Actual handheld, just picking up Komodo, and seeing what you can do feels good. It's been a long time since that was something people did.

It's not just the weight of the camera that allows for this in this case, but this is squarely where the global shutter allows for more energized movement. During the live stream I mentioned to Jarred about how JJ Abrams likes to do energy impacts on the camera by physically shaking it. He's not the only Director or DP I know who's into that. Komodo allows for that without any weird tearing via rolling shutter. RED cameras are pretty close to film in regards to their readout and handle this sort of thing well. Komodo is the apex however.

Certainly will have that to show shortly and people will ask why I'm doing that to my camera for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Thanks again, Phil-- great to follow along with your "diaries." These are my favorite resources for thinking realistically about this amazing little camera.

I know people are excited, but I'm just not convinced of the value of 4k screens in these size ranges-- I doubt that I'd be able to tell the difference from quality HD. That said, 4k signal input is useful in an HD screen if it allows high-res examination of details (to check focus, etc.). For me, anyway-- not trying to pick a fight with anyone!

Aside from a range of other skin tones, I don't personally need loads more formal test footage-- instead, I'm excited to see this little guy really rock and roll! Would love to see convincingly cinematic rendering with dramatic lighting, vintage lenses, very kinetic usage-- all the stuff that makes shooting fun!
    Heh. Don't worry. 5 and 6 inch mobile screens are incoming in UHD 4K resolution, I'm hoping for DCI aspect ratio stuff at some point. Based on my tool:
    http://phfx.com/tools/optimalViewing...sY=&diagonal=7

A DCI 4K 7" screen nets you a PPI of 661, which is very, very high resolution and you will not see pixels. But think about how you use the image to punch in and focus and so on. Also just having a clean 4K pass through to the SDI out to a larger say 24" or whatever behind you. We'll get there. Is it necessary? No. Will some people want it? Well yes. I"d be into a nice 1440p screen as well truthfully. Phones got here already obviously.

Appreciate the kind words and you and I are on the same page in regards to what useful footage is. Despite people within the first 48 hours of me having a camera thinking filming squirrels in my backyard would provide much meaningful info, it's truthfully all about how we'd actually use the camera, in my case in a cinematic narrative, commercial, or natural history deployment. I think it's neat we'll see variety of content from everybody, especially early on, but I'm mostly into what I can do with it in those capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    4K is about 33% more resolution than a 12” iPad Pro screen. As someone who sees pixels on the iPad Pro Retina display and thinks it could be sharper, this would be welcome. Seeing a 4K playback in a compact field setup or field-worthy monitor could be a godsend.

I’d take 4K in a 7” monitor or viewfinder any day.
    Same feels bud. Same feels. Might be a 2020 or 2021 thing, but it's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Glowskey View Post
    Thanks my Bro! :)

the raw file uploaded by PHIL is really good! I work very well on REDCINE-X .. I'm surprised, really :) I'm waiting for more :)
    It seems to me that the audio that KOMODO records is slightly shifted? does it seem to me
    As Rand is alluding to you might want to change your debayer settings. But in reality when you test this footage out plugging it into various NLEs and Color programs will reveal it's in sync as well as when you export it. Really depends on the hardware and software. NLEs are obviously a bit more streamlined than say REDCINE-X PRO on this front as it's more of a first light and digital lab sort of program.

In terms of things that can lead to audio delays, in this case this is a hard line 3.5mm signal straight from a Sound Devices MixPre 10 II. Adding wireless signal delivery into the mix can possibly add some delay, but hard lined should be dead on, which is actually what I was testing here.

The scratch mics on the camera are decent btw, but you like always, will likely enjoy the sound out of true and good microphones and perhaps an advanced recording solution. For instance, though I was ridiculed early for experimenting with 32-bit audio workflows via the field recorders, I now know several productions exploring that as their pipeline. Tech is evolving honestly, even in sound. But generally it's been a much slower world of advancement in that world compared to fiery forge of camera advancements.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Great insight on handheld. Thank you Phil!

Ah ! Quick question Phil (or anyone with the camera ^^) : what are the sensor sizes in the different crop ? Is it fair to assume something like 4K crop ≈ 4/3" and 2K crop ≈ 16mm ?
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Ah ! Quick question Phil (or anyone with the camera ^^) : what are the sensor sizes in the different crop ? Is it fair to assume something like 4K crop ≈ 4/3" and 2K crop ≈ 16mm ?
    Camera's got 4.4 micron pixels (27.03mm sensor width/6144 pixels) so 4K would be 4096 * (27.03/6144) = 18.02mm wide and 2K would be 2048 * (27.03/6144) = 9.01mm wide. m4/3 is 18mm wide so bang on for 4K. Regular 16mm is 10.26mm wide so 2K is just a smidge smaller.

You can go the other way and calculate a theoretical extraction's resolution. Here's Super 16: 12.52mm * (6144/27.03) = 2.8K.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    A lot of people don't think much about he visual language of handheld, but there is a different between in the hand, in the hands (plural), shoulder, and various "handheld" rigging options. For DPs who understand the true nature of just being able to lift up the camera and kinda "tommy gun it" that's where Komodo is opening new doors. I think there have been a few BTS images of big DPs and even Bay doing just that. Actual handheld, just picking up Komodo, and seeing what you can do feels good. It's been a long time since that was something people did.
    Amen to that!
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housing
    vincentkardasik.com
    Hossegor, France
    Water Cinematography Reel
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo