Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    Hey Phill, are you hacking up Teradek 2 pin lemo cables to reverse their polarity to use for komodo or something else?
    Not those. I had some other random stuff here that was D-Tap to 2-Pin. Tried plugging it in, then took a reading, and whoop there it is. Wire cutter, soldering iron, mischief managed.

Oh, to answer the coiled SDI stuff. I'm certain some of these are from SmallHD and likely Alvin Cables. I very literally have several boxes of SDI cables for various kits.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The DC IN is actually a different protocol, needs to be actually. It's a 2-pin Lemo. Jarred shared the Pins recently:

Heh. And at this point I can confirm I did some rewiring the first week of Komodo being in my life to feed it power. Still have a couple D-Taps I need to rip apart and rewire.

I view Komodo in a few different ways. Mostly this equates to how you want to rig the camera. Lightest weight option and most portable is indeed the BP Batteries. If that is of the highest order to your needs, Komodo will blow your mind in terms of how small you can rig it. I'm not exaggerating when I have rigged fully at <4lbs.

Beyond that is the general production day mindset. In which case you will likely be loading up a few accessories on there. Powering everything will then become either a choice between dedicated batteries on the devices/accessories or just feeding everything likely through a V-Mount or G-Mount plate of some sort. The one in the picture above I can't quite talk about yet, but it's a decent option. You've also seen the Wooden Camera one on my Komodo, also a good option. I sent two back to manufacturers I didn't like for reasons (if I don't like stuff you won't see it and I certainly won't use it), but you'll be spoiled for good power distro options for Komodo relatively soon. D-Tap is the way for power to accessories really, nothing new there. Most good options have 2-3 D-Taps on there to help feed monitors, recorders, motors, on board lights for interviews, etc. Even the batteries themselves often have a D-Tap or two if you need to make a rig with lots of dangle potential. USB ports are making a valid appearance for the first time in my cinematic journey in over 20 years and actually are useful too.

The good news is Komodo's power draw is pretty low, but as I've mentioned in particular some of these bright LCDs, which are useful for daylight monitoring, suck energy. It's a fascinating balancing act between camera size, accessorizing, and camera uptime. I find myself making a choice everyday when I go out if I'm tossing a 5" "regular" LCD or OLED even or a bigger and brighter 7" based on just how big I want my rig and how long I want it to run.

This might not be mind blowing news as this is how it works in some camps, but I've fully hoped onto the DSMC2 system with all the cable-less stuff and I haven't had much of this rigging in my life outside of the occasional timecode box lately. At the same time, Komodo is the smallest thing in the world that makes images like it does with the feature it supports.

Oddly fun for a guy like me, but also early on a crazy adventure in figuring it all out!

Before I had various base plates for instance I made a janky riser with a cheese plate to the GDU Touch N' Go back into a 19mm rod support because the first 48 hours with the camera were that weird. Now I have good and better options for standard working and mounting worlds. Komodo oddly reminds me the most of Dragon 8K VV because nearly everything I did that first year with that camera was new. Komodo has just been a much, much more compressed timeline. More happened in 2 weeks from accessory manufacturers than I've ever seen before. Sometimes machining bits for me to test out and overnight shipping for me to test out. Hot and fast paced June really. Shortly you'll see everybody's offerings though.

They way this used to work before is some crazy shot or film would need something and a camera needed to be rigged in a weird way, I then needed to hike over to Panavision to beg a machinist there or a freelancer to make me a part, this was before CNC was so readily available, so drills and metal lathes, and boom I'd have some sort of plate in a few weeks. That is now happening sometimes same day these days. Insane.
    Nice thanks for that.

I suppose I should probably just hold tight before I go buying up a bunch of accessories since there will probably be a lot of nice items to solve for things rather than figuring it out on my own. I mostly plan to use the Komodo with as little gack hanging off it as possible and have it mounted in tight spaces. I am actually thinking I want to build a small little power and monitor bag (like audio bag sized) that I can just run a few cables out of to the camera to get what I need. Very much looking forward to seeing what other accessories Red has planned for Komodo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKy1N-mCz4

Is this what you have strapped onto the back of your Komodo in those teasers? Looks like a nice little backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post

Is this what you have strapped onto the back of your Komodo in those teasers? Looks like a nice little backpack.
    that cage looks awesome! Also did tilta get their own Army Green colored Komodo!?? Damn I want that color now haha.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Nikon Vista Speed PL primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Phil -

Maybe you've answered this already, but... how is it having your hands near the exhaust? I just had to re-use a Scarlet M-X on a shoot a couple days ago where the top handle was mounted over the fan, and boy did my whole hand start to feel the burn after a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post

I guess at this point, yes I can confirm I've been testing it and have it here. I've been testing lots of cages, battery plates, mounts, etc. Like literally all the accessories coming really. I'm waiting for the embargo to lift to post shots of it.

Fair warning, I'm also mixing and matching accessory ecosystems as well, which is fun and occasionally frustrating :)

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    that cage looks awesome! Also did tilta get their own Army Green colored Komodo!?? Damn I want that color now haha.
    They have a Black and Pewter-ish Bronze finish coming. I chose the black stuff because it never goes out of style!

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Phil -

Maybe you've answered this already, but... how is it having your hands near the exhaust? I just had to re-use a Scarlet M-X on a shoot a couple days ago where the top handle was mounted over the fan, and boy did my whole hand start to feel the burn after a few minutes!
    Not to shabby. It's a warmth sort of sensation. I actually test that stuff by putting the camera next to my cheek (on my face) like for a shoulder cam setup to see if it's too aggressive or not.

OH! And on the topic of that. I previously thought Komodo had "one fan". Oddly while filming at night I shined a flashlight through it and there seem to be two little tiny fans in there in vertical orientation. I like that I don't see them or really here them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Not to shabby. It's a warmth sort of sensation. I actually test that stuff by putting the camera next to my cheek (on my face) like for a shoulder cam setup to see if it's too aggressive or not.

OH! And on the topic of that. I previously thought Komodo had "one fan". Oddly while filming at night I shined a flashlight through it and there seem to be two little tiny fans in there in vertical orientation. I like that I don't see them or really here them.
    Awesome, thank you very much, Phil!

That tilta cage looks like that might be it. Love the tilta cage that’s on bmpc6K and the v mount plate in that teaser makes me super excited.
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Alrighty, a little round up of a week of product announcements and Komodo activities.

And some of this is too damn good actually. I moderately made this zoom week and there's a few really good options for Komodo. I'm not sponsored by any of these peeps so I'll give you some spicy perspective where I can.

First up, the Laowa 25-100 T2.9 zoom:

This lens has been shown before and it's bloody close to coming to market. So I'll tell you some things actually about it, some that might not be fully known. Laowa is planning a 1.4X expander, which takes this up to FF35. And they have a rear 1.33X anamorphic adapter, which I have here. It's a bit weird, but works. My perspective on this lens is it fills a gap of the "one banger". Much like the popular though discontinued Cook 18-100, this is pretty much the modern take on that concept. Not a super modern lens, actually has some vintage notes optically, but it does what you want it to do. It's parfocal, all that good and useful stuff. Has some decent lens flare too.

Now for some lightweight zooms announced today. The DZOFILM 20-55 and 50-125 T2.8. And I have some hot, hot takes for how these impact me directly and perhaps Komodo Stormtrooper owners.

I wrote a lot of thoughts on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdg1D9HoTr/

But these are shorter lightweight and compact zooms and I've been filming with them since Komodo landed. And it would appear somebody has been following my interests in cleaner optics, parfocal, and pretty much zero breathing. And for the soon to be new White Stormtrooper Komodo owners, this pair of zooms is also available in white.

My real hot take is take these two and add a Tokina 11-20 T2.9 in to the mix which also doesn't breath and you have 11-125 covered in three extremely small lenses. Documentaries, Interviews, etc. Perfect combo. Heck, add that to the Laowa for that matter to flesh out the wide end too.

Candidly I didn't expect much because I knew both would come in around $5K USD for the pair, but I'm not sugar coating this, these are pretty damn nice.

But I have a more passionate position here. Because I still own Super 35mm lenses I love and not many know about.

I own a full set of Schneider Cine-Xenar III primes. And I actually love these lenses. They are unique and have a very special look to them. When I bought my set ages ago I liked their close focus, zero breathing, etc. But really they felt more like the closest thing at the time to a cinema-grade set of Leica-Rs, but done really well.

There were only two 14mm primes made. One of which was stolen at NAB one year and the other I knew about. And when Komodo became a reality in my life and I knew these lenses were going to play a bigger role in my filmmaking journey again, I hunted down the other 14mm from Schneider and bought it.

The potent thing there is with my prime set, until pretty much now, I didn't have zooms that paired well with them. And now I do. All have character that feels similar. This makes this much more ideal for a full production solution and it's hard to personally explain where this is coming from, but I feel oddly complete with the total solution put before me now. Odd part is I picked up that Tokina ages ago and knew it worked well with the kit. It actually took the place of that 14mm for a long time. But now it's part of the zoom side and the primes are fleshed out. There's actually one other prototype from the Cine-Xenar III set that if I can find it, I'll grab it. It's likely in a warehouse somewhere next to the Staff of Ra or something.

Anyways, I'll jump to the Tilta accessories now that I can post about them:

I mentioned this on the gram, but people will have to sort of choose their own adventure with Komodo accessories as every manufacturer has a unique spin. Tilta's solution is a cage with a 15mm quick release dovetail plate and their top handle doubles as side handle with a push of the button. The cage has lots of cheese to mount goodies too. Their small top plate and monitor mount are well small.

But the most interesting thing really is their V-Mount plate which mounts via the two BP slots straight to Komodo, which put the V-Mount at an unusual sideways position, but I haven't been able to even get a 150Wh battery to pop off of there while shaking it. This plate works best honestly with 98Wh compact V-mounts and keep the profile small and tidy. Pros and cons to this method as getting to the DC IN can be tricky with larger batteries and hot swap is off the table. But it's got all the D-Taps you need to power goodies and a USB port. They'll have a black and like bronze-ish pewter finish.

I have some more accessories to show soon. The weird fun I'm having is mixing and matching different companies solutions too, which is hilarious because none of them know what the other is doing. Make my Komodo look like a franken-rig. I'm still pretty into the Wooden Camera solutions overall and that's due to a few things I'll touch on in a bit. I also have grown fond of my GDU Timmy Ribs for reasons. Don't know if I need a full cage really, but some might just for the accessory mounting potential.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks reviewing the zooms. The DZO's are amazingly compact for T2.8. I'm a big fan of practical zooms. Do they vignette at all on Komodo at 6K FF?
    When can you share some footage shot with them?

Any chance Laowa will make an aspheric wide angle adapter?