Thread: Desktop OS X Foolcontrol and Komodo

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Desktop OS X Foolcontrol and Komodo 
    I'm having trouble getting my Komodo to connect to Foolcontrol on my desktop...
    Can anyone instruct me on how to do so? I'll be in a photo studio that should have wifi, or can do ad-hoc

For a shoot tomorrow I need to be able to monitor the camera on a laptop, so I can free up the single SDI port for my top monitor.

Thank you for the assistance

Brett

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    I'm not sure that the desktop Foolcontrol app has been updated with Komodo support. RED seems to have contracted Mikael to create their RED Control app under the RED branding this go-around for Komodo connections. The RED Control app currently runs on Apple devices, alongside live-streaming.

Although! All the live-streaming protocols are now hosted locally from the Komodo brain on a local network. You can type in the IP address of the Komodo on a local network via Infrastructure (though Jarred did mention this wifi mode might be a bit buggy in the current firmware) and connect to see it's live stream from your computer's internet browser.

From the Wifi menu, grab the IP address of your camera. Join the same network as the camera from your computer. Visit the IP address and add ":80" at the end for the web interface for Komodo or add ":9090" at the end for the live view video only (remove the quotes from either of those).

Testing my Komodo now on my local network and I'm getting it work fine. First time was a little buggy, most likely via Jarred's note on the new firmware. Had to disable Wifi and then go into Infrastructure mode to get it work again. If you're on set and it doesn't seem to be working... just connect your computer to the Ad-Hoc network from Komodo. Range might be very limited from the antenna, but it should still work. The IP address of the camera will be 192.168.1.1 in this mode. So, you'd be connecting to either 192.168.1.1:80 for the control view or 192.168.1.1:9090 for live stream only.
    Anthony Berenato Jr.
    Director / Cinematography Enthusiast
    Web: http://www.anthonyandcamera.com
    Reel: http://vimeo.com/89725163

Weapon Helium 8K #4844

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Thanks Antony for the fast reply.
    Correct on foolcontrol (iOS / Android / macOs) not supporting the KOMODO as it simply using a new protocol that is not backward compatible.

And yes direct camera stream on port 9090 or web interface on port 80 are the recommended way to interact with your camera from a PC / mac.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Wow, Amazing thank you!

I tried this a few times and couldn't get a live view with direct connection to camera.

Was trying Ad-hock mode w my Ipad.

Can get Red control to work great, but couldn't get the live view or web interface to connect at all.
    Kept getting a "can't connect cause your not connected to the internet" error message.

I'll try again tomorrow
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Various other strange or vintage lenses