Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I think it’s sideways to not block the ports at the bottom.

True dat. Makes sense...
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE

Me. Komodo. Zeiss CP.3 35mm. Crazy Grade.

This is how I've essentially looked for the last 5 months.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

You can't trick us with your crazy grades Phil...

Superhero status restored.

Bucky Barnes, that you? :)

Phil seems like the Loawa has much more "character" and less contrast than the DZO. Can you elaborate anymore on the DZO?
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Hi guys...Dragon-X 6K owner and first time poster here.

Thank you Phil for all of your testing. The Komodo really does look like a nice piece of kit. At first I was interested in it being a Bcam to my Dragon, but after reading through about a dozen pages of this thread, I'm now starting to wonder if RED will effectively cannibalize their dales of Dragons. Perhaps there's something I'm missing, but the Komodo by comparison seems to be at least as much camera (more so in a couple areas) but in a smaller, less costly package. Sure, you don't get the DSMC2 upgradability, and at the moment lack a tiny bit of connectivity, but...am I missing something? What would inspire someone to purchase DragonX over Komodo?

At this point you go larger to DSMC2 for frame rates, compression ratios, resolution options and a more production ready cam. Although the Komodo appears to have the ability to be built out as a production ready power.
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Phil seems like the Loawa has much more "character" and less contrast than the DZO. Can you elaborate anymore on the DZO?
    I'd agree with that, the OOOM has more classic vibe, but still pretty modern. The DZOs are a bit cleaner, but due to their compact nature have a bit more distortion on the wide end as well.

Harder questions to ask about these honestly. For about the same price you get 1 zoom with a broad range in a larger form factor, or 2 zooms with more range when combined and shorter/smaller individually.

Price-wise, both are really alarmingly good deals. I mean nearest competition is twice the price and then it's the rehoused stuff that's not parfocal.

I do think the Sigma 18-35mm is a good choice and even shorter in length physically and focal range. I have the Tokina 50-135mm here as well, if they have their mid-range zoom done this would be a super spicy battle. Their 11-20 though is gold and seems to be the goto solution on the wider side if you need it. Not seeing much overlap there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Roberts View Post
    Hi guys...Dragon-X 6K owner and first time poster here.

Thank you Phil for all of your testing. The Komodo really does look like a nice piece of kit. At first I was interested in it being a Bcam to my Dragon, but after reading through about a dozen pages of this thread, I'm now starting to wonder if RED will effectively cannibalize their dales of Dragons. Perhaps there's something I'm missing, but the Komodo by comparison seems to be at least as much camera (more so in a couple areas) but in a smaller, less costly package. Sure, you don't get the DSMC2 upgradability, and at the moment lack a tiny bit of connectivity, but...am I missing something? What would inspire someone to purchase DragonX over Komodo?
    It's natural I guess to have some worry, I've already had chats with people who thought their RED XXXXXX camera would be obsolete with Komodo coming out, that just isn't where the camera is positioned. I'll give you the hottest take I can and likely the more realistic perspective. I think Komodo squarely is positioned to not cannibalize their other cameras. I know this because, we'll take your camera for instance, you have a larger Dragon sensor with just over 2X the frame rates as well as more features in the camera itself. Interchangeable mounts, OLPFs, modules, cable-less monitors, dual record, etc. The frame rates are the big one really on a functional basis and primary function.

A deeply personal take, if you got a DSMC Scarlet-X laying around, it's pretty long in the tooth when it comes squarely to specs in comparison, but that was a previous generation to even DSMC2. And I strongly think Dragon, Gemini, Helium, Monstro, and yes Komodo are more advanced sensors, color, and dynamic range than Mysterium-X. I've also been saying that since I got to test Dragon out though originally. 5K Epic MX, same deal, more fully featured, but missing out on the recent good tech that has improved image quality even.

Komodo really is more positioned to be a utility camera for most RED owners with notable resolutions being hit as well as doing some things that DSMC2 cams don't do, like global shutter. The host of people who haven't been able to afford the larger RED cams though will certainly tap into it as an A-Camera. If I'm shooting a movie tomorrow, still likely going with Monstro and probably Komodo for when I need to duct tape a camera to a guy's head and push him out a plane or crash into something.

Komodo is very good, exceptional for the price actually. But I don't think it's taking over the DSMC2 offerings. Now if it did have about 75% of the features of your Dragon however, well that would be a different situation. Then again, the camera would be bigger and more expensive for sure if that was the case.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Care to quickly compare/contrast the DZO to the tokina 50-135, price not being a factor? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'd agree with that, the OOOM has more classic vibe, but still pretty modern. The DZOs are a bit cleaner, but due to their compact nature have a bit more distortion on the wide end as well.

Harder questions to ask about these honestly. For about the same price you get 1 zoom with a broad range in a larger form factor, or 2 zooms with more range when combined and shorter/smaller individually.

Price-wise, both are really alarmingly good deals. I mean nearest competition is twice the price and then it's the rehoused stuff that's not parfocal.

I do think the Sigma 18-35mm is a good choice and even shorter in length physically and focal range. I have the Tokina 50-135mm here as well, if they have their mid-range zoom done this would be a super spicy battle. Their 11-20 though is gold and seems to be the goto solution on the wider side if you need it. Not seeing much overlap there.

It's natural I guess to have some worry, I've already had chats with people who thought their RED XXXXXX camera would be obsolete with Komodo coming out, that just isn't where the camera is positioned. I'll give you the hottest take I can and likely the more realistic perspective. I think Komodo squarely is positioned to not cannibalize their other cameras. I know this because, we'll take your camera for instance, you have a larger Dragon sensor with just over 2X the frame rates as well as more features in the camera itself. Interchangeable mounts, OLPFs, modules, cable-less monitors, dual record, etc. The frame rates are the big one really on a functional basis and primary function.

A deeply personal take, if you got a DSMC Scarlet-X laying around, it's pretty long in the tooth when it comes squarely to specs in comparison, but that was a previous generation to even DSMC2. And I strongly think Dragon, Gemini, Helium, Monstro, and yes Komodo are more advanced sensors, color, and dynamic range than Mysterium-X. I've also been saying that since I got to test Dragon out though originally. 5K Epic MX, same deal, more fully featured, but missing out on the recent good tech that has improved image quality even.

Komodo really is more positioned to be a utility camera for most RED owners with notable resolutions being hit as well as doing some things that DSMC2 cams don't do, like global shutter. The host of people who haven't been able to afford the larger RED cams though will certainly tap into it as an A-Camera. If I'm shooting a movie tomorrow, still likely going with Monstro and probably Komodo for when I need to duct tape a camera to a guy's head and push him out a plane or crash into something.

Komodo is very good, exceptional for the price actually. But I don't think it's taking over the DSMC2 offerings. Now if it did have about 75% of the features of your Dragon however, well that would be a different situation. Then again, the camera would be bigger and more expensive for sure if that was the case.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM