Thread: KOMODO killing secondary market for DSMC cameras?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 KOMODO killing secondary market for DSMC cameras? 
    How badly does everyone think KOMODO is going to gut the already thin secondary market for EPIC Dragons and such?
    Should I sell my EPIC Dragon before KOMODO drops officially to the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stengel View Post
    How badly does everyone think KOMODO is going to gut the already thin secondary market for EPIC Dragons and such?
    Should I sell my EPIC Dragon before KOMODO drops officially to the masses?
    Nope. Remember the Epic Dragon is a cinema standard right now and many workflows have been Built with its form factor and attributes in mind. Also the Komodo doesn’t do fast frame rates at 6K. Comes with a RF Mount, doesn’t have the interchangeable mounts of dsmc1 or 2, etc etc. the Epic Dragon’s only downside is its current EOL status and repair ability. Everything else its still one of the top cameras on the market for any high end production.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Nope. Remember the Epic Dragon is a cinema standard right now and many workflows have been Built with its form factor and attributes in mind. Also the Komodo doesn’t do fast frame rates at 6K. Comes with a RF Mount, doesn’t have the interchangeable mounts of dsmc1 or 2, etc etc. the Epic Dragon’s only downside is its current EOL status and repair ability. Everything else its still one of the top cameras on the market for any high end production.
    As I see it RF mount is pretty much a tool less interchangable mount as you can put almost any mount infront of it.

Dragon came out 2013, still a good camera but, time moves on, tech loose value over time.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

For an outside observer, it may appear confusing. But DSMC & DSMC2 are completely different beasts and they are in no way threatened by the new baby that will be joining the RED family.
    As mentioned already, High Frame Rates, expandability, rigging options and seamless integration with industry standard lens systems are a few of the advantages of DSMCs.

However, nothing stops lower spec and lower budget productions from choosing Komodo instead of a DSMC.
    The baby of the family is here for a completely different purpose, one that the DSMCs cannot (or should not) do. Tough as nails and compact R3D.

I can see how in some circumstances DSMC owners may have bought one while there was nothing like the Komodo around that would serve their purpose better. But that's the exception rather than the rule.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

May depend on how the komodo turns out for image quality. But yes it's hard to imagine it won't have an effect or that it would help. It's looking like there may not be much benefit for dsmc1 over komodo and komodo may have a lot more features that appeal to users considering buying lower cost reds.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

It was exactly this reasoning that had me offload a Scarlet-W recently at a decent value. It was our 3rd camera so doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles (ie. higher frame rates) and was the gateway drug for many incoming Red users. I see Komodo taking that slot up so wanted to get best value on it before the new baby showed up. I picked up a great shape Scarlet-MX where the value was already bottomed out for the most part as our 3rd camera to tide us over till Komodo comes out (We'll pick up 2 of them most likely).

It will probably depend on the type of work people will be doing.

Before Komodo I was looking into purchasing a used DSMC/DSMC2 camera, but for the work I do, I'll probably be able to get about 90-95% there with the Komodo. For others in a similar boat, there may be a bit of a hit to the secondary market.

Of course, it will really come down to how the camera performs in the real world.
    Last edited by Benjamin Jarvis; 06-01-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    It will probably depend on the type of work people will be doing.

Before Komodo I was looking into purchasing a used DSMC/DSMC2 camera, but for the work I do, I'll probably be able to get about 90-95% there with the Komodo. For others in a similar boar, there may be a bit of a hit to the secondary market.

Of course, it will really come down to how the camera performs in the real world.
    As a soon to be RED owner (but long time RED user/renter), I think Benjamin nails it. I was looking at getting used DSMC/DSMC2, but then Komodo came into the picture. However, something to consider is that if used DSMC/DSMC2 prices fall a bit because of Komodo, there will still be people (like myself) looking to get a good deal to purchase DSMC/DSMC2. So sure, they may drop in price, but they will still sell.

Problem is that purchasers in the used market are probably at least 60-75 percent users that aren't in the high end cinema market and Komodo's price at 6Kish with new warranty, global shutter, 4K output, gimbal friendly size, as well as the fact that Komodo will be a decent rental item (even for owner/ops) to current RED productions for a while due to size, global shutter, and 4K output - makes it likely to be so attractive to that market, that it seems unlikely they are going to want to spend much more than Komodo dollars for EOL or near-EOL RED cameras. 8K and Monstro will hold up the best (for now - EOS R5 ouch!) but 6K, 5K, 4K Reds are likely to take a big hit. Kind of a bitter pill to swallow but you have to be realistic. (not to mention what pandemic has done to finances)

DSMC3 will likely have all of these features in a more high end production feature/format style, however at the moment Komodo is truly a game changer for the RED universe - DSMC/DSMC2 are still great and will continue to be used for a long while but they have been left behind technologically. Depressing projection but kind of the way the camera market has been for many years - Moore's law applies to some extent in our industry too. Frame rates offset to some extent but likely the potential used buyer will either use what Komodo gives, or rent for specific situations.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

I think it's going to hurt the used value. For a lot of people it's much easier to spend 6,000.00 and use their own monitors and media pick up a few canon batteries , than buy a Epic W brain for 9,000.00 and have to outfit it with red monitor, red media, red battery modules .