Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New Compression Ratios?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Compression Ratios? 
    New R3D ratios? Or simplified ones? How does all this work? Will the user not be able to select the ratio anymore?
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Probably just simplified is my guess.

I welcome the change. I don't really dial in my compression ratios much, I either swing from absolute lowest compression possible to a happy medium. Anything beyond that, I just shoot ProRes anyway, but I could see the utility of a high compression .r3d mode for some.

For me numbers (1:4) where allways more simplified than letters (HQLX)...

I wonder if HQ is equivalent to 6:1 compression ratio since Weapon/Epic Dragon are Netflix approved cameras at that resolution/compression ratio.

I just read that HQ is 512gb = 30 min, and MQ is 512gb = 50 min. This can't be true. Is it?
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    I just read that HQ is 512gb = 30 min, and MQ is 512gb = 50 min. This can't be true. Is it?
    Seems odd. A 24 fps 6K HD Weapon MG recording time on 512gb with 6:1 compression is 82 minutes. A Red Ranger or Monstro at 6K 16:9 with the same settings at 3:1 compression gives you 38 minutes.
    That would mean that Komodo is around 2:1, which is just not true.

I would think that it's 5:1 60 minutes on a 512gb card.

I've heard someone say something about the R3D being 10bit instead of 16bit, but I'm not sure if that is true, seems like a really bad thing if it's not even 12bit?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Seems odd. A 24 fps 6K HD Weapon MG recording time on 512gb with 6:1 compression is 82 minutes. A Red Ranger or Monstro at 6K 16:9 with the same settings at 3:1 compression gives you 38 minutes.
    Yeah, my calculations put it at around 2.5:1 for HQ and 4:1 for MQ. There's no way that can be the case. I'm looking for specs but it's hard to wade through all these posts. Maybe a sticky of all the current specs would be a good thing?

FWIW, I really love the way it is now, don't fix what ain't broke. But if you absolutely HAVE to move to a new system, at least give us:

HQ - 3:1
    MQ - 5:1
    LQ - 8:1
    XLQ - 12:1
    XXLQ - 20:1

Or something like that.
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Philip Grossman said in the 6hr live stream that he is using “Anglebird 512gb and getting 30min at HQ” and the rest said thats about what they were seeing.
    Director | Videographer | Editor
    Red Hydrogen One
    Red Epic
    Red Scarlet
    Red Komodo ST199

As far as I know for Komodo we'll have just HQ, MQ, and LQ.

REDCODE RAW is outstanding at user definable compression ratios, but I personally don't think people should be filming beyond 12:1. I know some out there do, but you'll be seeing a bit of a new focus on quality and simplicity.

DSMC2 and probably DSMC3 will still have a pretty broad range of REDCODE RAW options, but Komodo is going to be simplified.

By default in Komodo it seems to at the moment it goes to MQ when you first open it or update your firmware. In my case it's the first setting I change to HQ :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

REDCODE RAW is outstanding at user definable compression ratios, but I personally don't think people should be filming beyond 12:1. I know some out there do, but you'll be seeing a bit of a new focus on quality and simplicity.

DSMC2 and probably DSMC3 will still have a pretty broad range of REDCODE RAW options, but Komodo is going to be simplified.

agreed and great news...

Also I understood Red had switched with Komodo to be DCT based compression? (makes sense from a power and decode cost POV) but if this is so then we can't really compare wavelets and DCT at the same ratios as they will not be the same...