Thread: APS-C lens coverage ok for Komodo?

Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

1. #1 APS-C lens coverage ok for Komodo? 
    Just wondering thanks :)

I wonder too! It would be great :)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Porto View Post
    APS-C lens coverage ok for Komodo?
    Komodo's Sensor in FF needs an image circle of 30.56mm, while the modern/digital APS-C-ish / DX-format-ish sensors need a minimum image circle of approx. 27-29mm. I recommend Phil Holland's tools (in this case the formatCompare tool) to get the info you need. He's been doing so much in this regard (all kind of testing and comparing) during the last decade (maybe?), that he became an actual VIP not only for the REDuser community.
    So, if you want to use EF-S, Nikkor DX, Minolta V-Mount, A-Mount lenses for the DX sensor format, you will have to shoot at 5k resolution and you'll get the "full APS-C" image (and maybe a slight vignetting, since digital APS-C is not a standardized format). Check for yourself:

http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

Remember, you can't use every APS-C lens on Komodo, because of the shorter flange focal distance (FFD) of e.g. the Sony E-Mount, Canon EF-M, Fujifilm-X Mount lenses. APS-C vintage lenses, however, should give a bigger image circle, since the analog APS-C format was bigger, while APS-H sensor size would fit best to Komodo's FF sensor size.
    "Sensor diagonal" or let's say "film crop diagonal" of analog APS-C 30.1 mm, APS-H 34.5 mm, APS-P 31.7 mm).
    I can't tell you if AF, IS, iris, etc. will work on non-Canon lenses. If the need for electronic control is not so important to you, and you still want to use a small, lightweight lens on Komodo, I'd try M-Mount lenses (Leica, Voigtländer, etc.). BTW, Jarred was using a Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1.1 with his white Komodo, as you can see:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAl9zHyh7Ge/

The only downside with M-Mount lenses is the not-so-close-minimum-focus distance and the vintage looking focus ring on most lenses which might need some tinkering if you want to cine-modify it yourself. (can be done by ducloslenses, too).
    ...I hope this helps.

It seems to be similar to dragon x - at least from my observations
    Thanks Thomas for the detailed reply :)

5. #5 Komodo EF-S Lenses 
    Guys, do you know if the Komodo also supports Canon EF-S Lenses (Canon APSC Lenses) via the included Adapter? Best, Marcel

To be honest, I have not received my Komodo Starter Pack yet, so I can't be 100% sure:
    EF-S lenses should be supported sooner or later. According to the user manual the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
    is currently the only (officially) supported EF-S lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    ,,,, According to the user manual the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
    is currently the only (officially) supported EF-S lens.
    That EF-S 17-55 is one of the best bangs for the buck. It's basically the APS-C/S35 version of the venerable 24-70L lens with the added benefit of Image Stabilization. Used it quite a bit with the Redone and Epic. A Canon rep once told me that it was basically built to L series optical specs but they never put the L designation on any EF-S lenses. I sold my first one back in 2017 but bought another in late 2019 when there was a special on for $549 - it is back up to the $879 now but still a good value.

I haven't had much chance to use it yet on my R5 but it should be pretty useful since when you put an ef-s lens on the R5 it automatically drops you to the S35/APS-C 4K mode that doesn't have a overheating time limit.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Ive been using the 17-85mm EF-S but it does not cover fully at 6k 2.40, 4k is fine though. Havent tested auto focus yet. For an example of footage shot with this lens on komodo check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKOuHKc0mcg&t=1279s