Thread: 2020 GPU questions. 1 GPU with max vram or 2x

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 2020 GPU questions. 1 GPU with max vram or 2x 
    Hi all, been a while since I upgraded my Nvidia cards. Currently running 2x GTX 780 cards with 6GB each of vram. I've been just making some notes regarding future upgrades. And now with recent updates to Resolve and Premiere Pro I'm a bit confused.

Wondering what would be better for going forward. More vram in one card? Dual cards because more cuda cores together? Kinda confused.

My current cards would be 2304 cores each and 6gb vram each.
    Eyeing either
    1x RTX 2080ti (4352 cores and 11gb)
    2x RTX 2080ti (2x 4352 cores and 2x 11gb)
    1x Titan RTX (4608 cores and 24gb)

Thanks hive mind. Any help would be appreciated

wait for RTX3080ti and BigNavi

not the optimal time to be investing in GPU with newer / faster / cheaper on the near horizion

Hi Dermot, good point. But can you tell me still if it's better for more vram in one card or more cuda in one card or dual cards etc? May be a long while before I can upgrade my workstation so considering just doing GPU now (at least after RTX3080ti drops)

depends on how well the software in question shares GPU's
    For Resolve the dev have said the best single GPU you can afford is optimum since v15
    i'm running a machine with a single 2070s at home and when driveing a 4k timeline it's not far off my machine at the studio with dual 2080Ti's
    there is a a substaintial diffrence when exporting a 4k master tho
    any more VRAM than is needed is a total waste of resource, more is not better, more wastes power, adds heat and gives you zero in return... so really defineing where the line between "not enought" and "too much" is very dependant on workflow and delvierables
    i find 8g enough for a UHD timeline with some caches in play
    and 11g is enough for aUHD timeline with next to no caches in play
    i deliver 4k and UHD so my timelines and monitor match the deliverables
    the only wild card is haveing to deliver cam orig, and the cam is Helium
    the few times that's been on the table i've sent 8k DNxHR444 back to editorial to test, and their machine melted down... so that became a non issue and i dleivered 4k that they could actualy use to finish
    no idea how Pp leverages dual GPU's
    i'd get the minimum needed today, and keep my resources avb for when the new tools are reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    depends on how well the software in question shares GPU's
    For Resolve the dev have said the best single GPU you can afford is optimum since v15
    i'm running a machine with a single 2070s at home and when driveing a 4k timeline it's not far off my machine at the studio with dual 2080Ti's
    there is a a substaintial diffrence when exporting a 4k master tho
    any more VRAM than is needed is a total waste of resource, more is not better, more wastes power, adds heat and gives you zero in return... so really defineing where the line between "not enought" and "too much" is very dependant on workflow and delvierables
    i find 8g enough for a UHD timeline with some caches in play
    and 11g is enough for aUHD timeline with next to no caches in play
    i deliver 4k and UHD so my timelines and monitor match the deliverables
    the only wild card is haveing to deliver cam orig, and the cam is Helium
    the few times that's been on the table i've sent 8k DNxHR444 back to editorial to test, and their machine melted down... so that became a non issue and i dleivered 4k that they could actualy use to finish
    no idea how Pp leverages dual GPU's
    i'd get the minimum needed today, and keep my resources avb for when the new tools are reality
    Thank you Dermot!

Can't say much about PP because we almost don't use it anymore.
    For Resolve it depends on the resolution, the effects you're gonna use and if you use CUDA or OpenCL.
    With CUDA you need more VRAM because of the different memory handling.
    It's pretty easy to crash(running out of memory) a 11 GB 2080ti with 6 or 8k footage running CUDA where a 6 GB RX 5600 XT running OpenCL keeps on going with the same footage without problems.
    Here is a quick overview what you can expect from different kinds of GPU's in Resolve 15(same engine as Resolve 16).
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=53796

And as mentioned bevor since Resolve 15 works better with one fast GPU than with multiple slower ones.

I would also say to wait until the 3000 series is out, which should be very soon, and see how they stack up with the current high end RTX products. If you had to buy now, I wouldn't think a single Titan RTX would hold you back at all and leaves room for a second one later if that isn't enough but then you might as well have gone with a Quadro RTX 8000. On that point, I do wonder if dual Quadro RTX 8000 cards with 96gb of VRAM by NVLink would be supported but that's a hefty investment for what could be features in next year's Geforce series.