Thread: RF 24-70mm or EF 24-70mm?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RF 24-70mm or EF 24-70mm? 
    Hi,

debating on attaching either of these two to komodo... just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, Im leaning towards the EF but unsure if auto-focus will work for it when its available.

cheers

Time will tell as to how it works with Komodo, are you planning to use with Canon R bodies? I've used the 50, 85 and 24-105 and All are great Lens. The 24-105 to me is the best yet. A lot of glass is moving on the primes though...

nah will use just on the komodo

Daniel,

I would be more tempted by the Canon RF 28-70mm F2 zoom lens. An F2 aperture puts this zoom lens into prime lens territory. It is a bit heavier, more expensive and you loose 4mm of focal length on the wide end but a sweet F2 aperture would make it my choice.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Daniel,

I would be more tempted by the Canon RF 28-70mm F2 zoom lens. An F2 aperture puts this zoom lens into prime lens territory. It is a bit heavier, more expensive and you loose 4mm of focal length on the wide end but a sweet F2 aperture would make it my choice.
    was thinking about that lens... but I think I prefer the EF mount 24-70mm... I checked out the RF mount in store and it was rather large... There is defiantly a gap in the market in regards to fast super 35 still lenses, most of the aps-c lenses cover komodo but are normally F4 plus apertures...

Depending on whether auto-focus has an appeal for the type of work you do, from here on out, I'd ONLY buy RF. What the Komodo will be able to do with auto-focus will be amazing, though it still may be awhile. The on camera viewfinder/screen with good RF auto-focus will be very useful. Jarred repeated this a few times in the livestream. Tom is right, that 28-70mm f2 is what I have on my list of purchases. Of course, EF or something else might be necessary if the lens doesn't exist in the RF lineup. One other thing in favor of EF... though you'd lose the great native RF autofocus: with some of the upcoming RF- to EF adapters, you could use one of the good inline ND filters they offer.

I have the EF 24-70 and the RF 28-70 . On the R camera body, there’s virtually no difference in auto focus using the RF to EF adaptor. I have also noticed that all the EF lenses auto focus better with the adaptor on the R body . Not sure if this will happen on the Komodo, but I hope so.
    The RF 24-70 has IS which would be really nice, as the 28-70 2.0 does not. The RF to EF adaptor is a a gem and with the built in ND it’s really the way to go.

I love stabilization, but I think I'd go with the EF for Komodo because you'll be able tot use the ND Filter adapter. If that's not important to you, then I'd probably go with the RF version. However, I'm guessing I'll be using the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 quite a bit on Komodo and shoot in 5K (though that lens can cover larger than regular Super35 pretty often, so might be close to OK in 6K).

The one other consideration would be if you want to use a speedbooster. 24mm isn't all that wide on a s35 sensor, so I'd be inclined to get the EF version so that you can get the wider field of view. Also gives you the extra stop, of course, so that you have something like an f2 lens.

For the most streamlined package, though, the RF is probably the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Porto View Post
    was thinking about that lens... but I think I prefer the EF mount 24-70mm... I checked out the RF mount in store and it was rather large... There is defiantly a gap in the market in regards to fast super 35 still lenses, most of the aps-c lenses cover komodo but are normally F4 plus apertures...
    One exception and probably the best bang for the buck for Komodo is the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8. Per discussions with Canon reps this lens was actually built to L lens specs/build quality but they only use the L designation for full frame lenses. The 17-55 will work with the EF-RF adaptors (previously you couldn't use EF-S lenses on Canon full frame lenses because there is a mechanical stop that prevents it - although they work fine on non-Canon EF mounts like the RED canon mounts.)
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com