Thread: What tripod will you use for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What tripod will you use for Komodo? 
    I'm sure this will generate responses all over the board, and admittedly I haven't paid much attention to the tripod market over the last 3-4 years. I've been using a Manfrotto 509 kit for my DSMC2 for probably 7 years, which served me well. I'm looking at Komodo as a chance to downsize in every way.

So I'm curious what tripods people are liking these days or plan to use with small Komodo builds? Last I remember, Miller had some nice offerings in this arena -- anyone else worth paying attention to?

I really like my RRS head and sticks-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...head_with.html

Thinking about getting their new burly head and video sticks as well for larger rigs-

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/fh-7240
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Will depend on how people want to rig the Komodo will determine the tripods you'd want to use. For me and the work I do, I've been a fan of the Sachtler System FSB 8 Fluid Head, Flowtech 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Light weight easy to move around with. I'd probably use that with "larger" Komodo builds.

But then just a small light weight travel tripod when I'm on the go hiking or what not.
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

I'd expect to use it with my lightweight Miller Air, which I mount on a set of Gitzo legs for travelling light (I usually use this rig for a DSLR or locked-off B-cam). But I think I might have an old Manfrotto 701 in my closet that could probably handle the Komodo stripped down and center-balanced...hmm...

All that said, no reason it won't often find itself on my regular Sachtler kit.

I'm going to use it with a Peak Design tripod. I have a carbon fiber model; it's very light and compact, yet it's even able to handle my Epic-W with a big Sigma 50-100 lens on it with the 2x teleconverter. If you get it with the flat plate adapter, you can swap out the stock ballhead for another, like one of the Really Right Stuff heads, and use a panning clamp with an Arca-Swiss rail or choose a ballhead with a built in panning clamp. Or get something like the RRS fluid video gimbals...

For on set use though, I plan to continue using my Really Right Stuff legs, replacing the crappy manfrotto head with either a Miller or Sachtler or Really Right Stuff fluid head at some point. I got to play with the (then) new RRS fluid head at last year's Cinegear and was impressed, I'm hoping for a smaller version that's more trekking + travel friendly now.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

I'll keep using my O'Connor 1030 with Cartoni A303 CF sticks. O'Connor is not cheap, but it's durable and butter smooth. Sachtler, Vinten and Miller all offer lower cost alternatives using proven designs. Never liked the action on 500 series Manfrottos. Keep in mind that even though Komodo is super light weight, if you're on a tele or long zoom you still need stability just as much - or more - as with a larger camera package.

Cheers - #19

Does anyone have experience with the Miller CX8? Was wondering how it compares to a Sachtler FSB-8.

I'll continue to use my Vinten 100 w/Sachtler Flowtech 100's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the say.

We picked up the Benro bvx25 about a year ago when it launched and have been loving it. The BVX25 is overkill for the Komodo, but they make the bvx16 which is very similar with a smaller head, might be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kohlbrenner View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Miller CX8? Was wondering how it compares to a Sachtler FSB-8.
    Same question here. I spent a lot of time at Film Tools in January right before lockdown handling the Miller CX6, but was more interested in the CX8 with 5 steps of drag. What I liked about the Sachtler FSB-8 is you get the Touch and Go plate for the price of the head while Miller makes you spend another $250-ish for that. I handled the FSB-8 briefly with the intent of coming back into the store when I planned to come back to town in March, but that didn't happen obviously...