Thread: What tripod will you use for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The tripod is dependent on the type of head and what kind of lens and use your going to be using it for. If you just going to lock it off and do interviews with say a Canon 50mm stills lens your not going to need the same tripod if your going to shoot wild life with a 300 or 600mm lens on it. For the wild life you'll probably need at the very least a Sachtler 20 or something similar with some solid legs. Ive made the mistake a couple times now of not buying enough tripod and it seems to work just fine for most of my work but when you put a long lens or start to rig your camera cup with a monitor and a cinema prime and then a focus knob and a matt box or even a filter then all of a sudden your over weight for the tripod you bought. Then every little movement becomes a struggle to just keep the camera move nice and smooth.
    I would actually look at a tripod in the range of maybe 5 to 10 lbs above what your usual camera build weight is and that way you will always have some room and not be maxed out on your tilt and pan friction and tension.
    Just a thought.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    I would actually look at a tripod in the range of maybe 5 to 10 lbs above what your usual camera build weight is and that way you will always have some room and not be maxed out on your tilt and pan friction and tension.
    Just a thought.
    These are wise words. It's much worse to have too little tripod than too much.

I speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bishop View Post
    These are wise words. It's much worse to have too little tripod than too much.

I speak from experience.
    This is a good parallel to a topic I see on the home theater forums about screens and projectors and the saying that a lot of people use there, "You date the projector and marry the screen". Same thing here. You date the camera and marry the tripod. A good set-up will last you most of a career. And my tripod(s) outlasted my marriage.

Sachtler FSB-6 or FSB-8 or Miller compass 25 or arrow 30/40 on whatever sticks float your boat. All of them have handled my Gemini built up just fine and most likely all would be overkill and really nice with Komodo.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

If you’re going light and mostly operate yourself - flowtech is the thing nowadays.

How did you like the CX6 Chris?

7. #17 My tripod choices for KOMODO! 
    It really depends on the situation, I really love my Manfrotto 055, its carbon fiber, lightweight and I mainly find myself in situations that call for a super lightweight set that can all be packed into a 1510 and a protactic 450. If I'm in the studio, however, I could see myself reaching for the flowtech 75 legs though just because they are sturdier and have worked great with my raven so far!

it really all comes down to what I'm shooting though and who it's for. There are certain circumstances where I would use the Komodo as an A cam for more run and gun projects or lower budgets, and there are also times where I would pair a Komodo with helium or monstro. With the compact size and weight of the Komodo though I can see it being perfect for monopod use and wildlife as I do a lot of hiking in the Banff area and something as small and light as the peak design tripod may even work with an incognito setup (that being: no monitor, a cowboy handle, some Timmy ribs :) and two bp 75s)

1. Flowtech 75-----STUDIO A CAM RIG
    2. Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber 3 leg------LIGHTWEIGHT CLIENT PROJECTS
    3. Manfrotto 028-------STUDIO B CAM RIG
    4. Benro A474T-------STUDIO WIDE C CAM RIG
    5. Peak Design travel tripod in carbon fiber-------FUN RUN AND GUN PROJECTS :)