Thread: Censorship on the "RED Komodo Uses" facebook group

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    LOL post deleted again.
    To be explicitly clear Hrvoje. You have been previously banned by other mods, you have had many posts deleted by other mods and myself, and there is a certain point where you are taxing the time and temper of each of the mods.

No threats, just a warning on conduct on this board. You are a smart guy and I'm certain inside you somewhere you know how to appropriately interact on a camera forum.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    on the topic you started
    There is a broad gap between what that thread topic was in terms of sharing information, safety guidelines of which our entire industry needs to utilize now, and you convincing people the pandemic wasn't real or something to take precaution about as well as turning it into a political debate, not to mention siding with a couple people "looking to get paid" for a biased insight. Meanwhile calling people idiots when their family members are sick or dying and getting PMs to ban you again at 3am come up.

Or you poking the bear and me deleting your last post at 5am.

Seriously. I know you are smarter than that. And you know there are better places to sling whatever that is out. But perhaps you don't have another outlet for those thoughts. There's many political discussion groups that are better grounds for whatever your perspective is there.

You can twist it back into a favorable perspective on being disruptive, but that's more of a torn gap rather than a line drawn.

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil, I must admit that, for the first time I don't understand your words, your arguments concerning FB… and I think that today it is no longer possible to hope for anything from these groups in which he is no longer possible to express oneself freely.
    FB is indefensible and does not stop generating always more disorder and confusion by mixing respectful professional speakers, true enthusiasts, adults ... in front of excited kids and other extremist geeks who never take long to insult you if you don't do not give a lot of compliments to Red ... and it is with the Komodo that everything seems to accelerate.
    It is an observation, and it is a fact.
    This is only a personal suggestion, but I think that all the regular users of Red products, which we regularly find on Redusers, should now move away from these fucking social media ... FB first.

For Komodo groups, there is a particular and fairly new problem…
    You can be threatened by the moderator if you talk about other brands, and if you don't show enough enthusiasm!…
    It feels like another era…

But what's going on doesn't deserve debate, not anymore.
    I don't have to justify my years of experience or the fact that I like Red cameras to carry on a conversation, without being threatened with eviction every 5 minutes.
    For the first time in years, 5 friends and colleagues have just been fired from groups concerning Komodo because he had mentioned Blackmagic and Kinefinity ... simply to develop a constructive discussion ... and not to say that Red is a brand of shit !…

I do not question the interest of the moderators on FB, but there, at this level it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Deshoux View Post
    Phil, I must admit that, for the first time I don't understand your words, your arguments concerning FB… and I think that today it is no longer possible to hope for anything from these groups in which he is no longer possible to express oneself freely.
    The various cinematography and production FB groups have a pretty broad range of moderation from hyper sensitive to likely too relaxed. I'm a mod on a few cinematography and camera groups and mostly what we protect against on FB is spam and fraudulent accounts, which happens literally all the time. Whatever occurred here likely could have been solved "off the air" and I have no idea exactly what transpired. But it's clear somebody took offense to something.

Most of the time people being offended by anything on social media is mostly related to how information is presented. Criticizing an image or camera with "it's crap" versus something a bit more constructive, the latter is usually the way to go. I'm not saying soften the comments, but just communicating a bit better and likely more politely solves most issues really.

Either way, the actual post was deleted it seems as well as all the comments and replies tied to it. In which case, carry on. It's shocking to me that it led to a post here on a forum that has nothing to do with the FB group really outside of the same general interests. It's sort of like yelling at Google because of something wrong with Bing or whatever. Two different worlds.

On REDuser, long ago, we used to not talk about other cameras really as there was a stronger policy in place regarding that, but things became rather relaxed and it seems many topics that normally would be better suited for something like DVXuser have popped up here time to time. I mean, I don't really care where things pop up really as I'm a member of all these boards, but it's interesting to see where and when things overlap. Most people are just looking for questions to get answered, share thoughts or opinions, chat about cinematography related news, etc. Generally with all these groups, forums, lists you have a large community that is pretty dynamic. Most days everybody gets along fine, occasionally a speed bump occurs, and overall the community as a whole knows how to have critical conversations without pissing each other off.

A Facebook group is moderated, but you can express yourself fairly freely by posting to your own timeline or creating alternative groups. A few like Cinematography Insight and Cinematography Saloon are a good example of more recent groups that are focused on more general discussion.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I agree with you ... but I remain particularly puzzled regarding FB.
    And I just hope that this disease does not spread to Reduser or elsewhere.

Wow.

A bunch of forum regulars scratching their heads about Facebook groups while thousands of other users who would never post here are busy interacting on FB groups.

You know what I see on most of the camera FB groups I'm a member of ?

Women.

People of color.

I hardly see that on camera forums like this....

I think it's fine to say you don't agree with using FB generally, but it's a bit weak to disparage those that choose to communicate through that platform. I mean, the very fact that that is where the Komodo footage and talk has been says it all.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    The exact definition of 'social media' could be argued, but since it's completely irrelevant it might be best not to.

There is however a huge difference to me if the exchange of ideas take place on platforms that focus on "personalities" and their never ending fight over followers and "likes", or if the discussions happens on forums where its the actual product or topic that takes center stage and drives the participation.

And please, explain to me again how, if you have a company with an actual home page and a thriving forum, you would think it's a good idea to soft launch your products under Facebook's wings—a company that has demonstrably proven to completely disregard its users rights and interests and not shy away from even tampering with political campaigns.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Wow.

A bunch of forum regulars scratching their heads about Facebook groups while thousands of other users who would never post here are busy interacting on FB groups.

You know what I see on most of the camera FB groups I'm a member of ?

Women.

People of color.

I hardly see that on camera forums like this....

I think it's fine to say you don't agree with using FB generally, but it's a bit weak to disparage those that choose to communicate through that platform. I mean, the very fact that that is where the Komodo footage and talk has been says it all.

JB

How do you know that people posting here are neither women nor people of color?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    How do you know that people posting here are neither women nor people of color?

i saw yer profile pic, dj
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

This thread has reminded me just how lucky we are that RedUser has remained largely on point for 14 years. While some posters have been banned at times, all but the most virulent have been allowed back in. The level of effort required of the moderators to parse out who is genuinely destructive and who is just pushing the envelope is significant. It's a lot easier to just ban anyone who seems to have an agenda, but sometimes the truth is hiding in the weeds.

IAC, big THANK YOU to our RU moderators for their hard work. This community is of great value to my professional development, not to mention providing numerous opportunities to forge relationships with like minded creators.

Cheers - #19