Thread: Purchased really cool, interesting lens; vintage chinese cine zoom. Best way to rig?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Purchased really cool, interesting lens; vintage chinese cine zoom. Best way to rig? 
    Hi everyone.

I'm new to larger gear requiring mounting solutions etc.

I just purchased this interesting piece of glass...
    "Great Wall" Chinese JS35 cinema zoom, 18-180mm.

I will be using it with, errrr...a lightweight mirrorless camera, so i would think i could just put a PL adapter onto the lens's arriflex mount, and hang the (more or less naked) mirrorless cam off the back of it?

Then...what would i need to use to adapt the support bracket/mount pictured on the lens, for use on my tripod head? could just mount follow focus, monitor, etc right on the lens bracket's rods?

T.I.A. for help (again, im newer to pro gear, so you'll have to go easy on me)...

I hope everyone digs the lens, looks to be a mishmash of design features from Cooke and Angenieux tending more towards Cooke? Really eager to get it in my hands, get it set up, and get some test footage.

Would love to know what Kung Fu classics this thing has shot in its day, although I doubt anyone knows much about it, at least here in the West.

Can't find any information on it anywhere. Only thing I could find on vintage chinese cine lenses generally is this page:
    http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycame...nese%20009.htm
    Attached Images
    Last edited by James Coleman Rogers; 06-13-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Here's a bit of extra info on the lens, someone found in an old catalogue from the optics factory that made them:

"kievuser wrote:

An image of a Great Wall brand lens by Nr,608 factory, a zoom 18-180mm F3.2 for 35mm movie camera. It is so rare that even the image is rarely seen. It cost 50,000 yuan RMB when new. A Leica M3, or a Contax IIA was only 2-3000 yuan then. I have never seen this one in person."
    Attached Images

Hey James, cool find!

You could probably slap a PL adapter on the back without any issues. I wonder if that lens is actually a universal mount like so many of the Cooke and Angenieux lenses of that era. Its hard to tell with that custom bracket on there. If it is universal mount, it will simply screw off and you can replace it with a Universal to PL mount. Duclos Lenses sells a really nice one that I use on my Angeniex 25-250.

The tripod plate seems to be a problem. Unless the bottom of that bracket is shaped like a dovetail? Not sure what the design was for that rig, but you may be missing a piece of the original system? You can likely remove the whole bracket and use a modern lens support system, but that thing does look extra solid which is cool. You could also mount a cheese plate to the bottom, but you'll need to drill some holes and tap them. I gotta think there is something we are missing though. The system is too well thought out to not have an easy mounting option.

What's the white thing on top of the base plate?
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Lealos View Post
    Hey James, cool find!

You could probably slap a PL adapter on the back without any issues. I wonder if that lens is actually a universal mount like so many of the Cooke and Angenieux lenses of that era. Its hard to tell with that custom bracket on there. If it is universal mount, it will simply screw off and you can replace it with a Universal to PL mount. Duclos Lenses sells a really nice one that I use on my Angeniex 25-250...

What's the white thing on top of the base plate?
    Was trying to figure out the white thing myself...looks like it might be a mount plate and rail attachment for a camera, but for some reason its been mounted under the lens...

I'll be able to figure more out when I actually get the lens in my hands, coming in from Austria.

Yes, was hoping that that rear bit is going to be a (T2?) universal mount as used on the old angenieux zooms, that would make things so much easier.

I may end up sprucing this thing up and starting a small-time rental business with it, I imagine something unique and rare like this, especially in the West, would be a good way to do so.

Hoping performance is up to snuff, by the few accounts out there this factory's lenses are superb.

Here is one last bit of info on this thing I just found.
    Attached Images

Lens is now at Optitek getting a mount, gears, and a cleaning etc.

Looking forward to hearing what observations @Jacek Zacowicz has while going through this thing, i.e. what designs they took from.

The story is they (State-owned Chinese factory) looked at both English and German cine lenses in the process of designing their lenses.