Thread: KOMODO Drone

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 KOMODO Drone 
    Whats the most frugal way to get a Komodo on a drone?

What drone has the payload?

What region are you in ?

I might recommend partnering with a Local UAV Pilot/Crew to fly when you need to.

If you don't know what UAV can lift a Komodo, you're going to have a fairly difficult time going from Zero to 100 Real Quick.

This is not meant to discourage you, but rather to seek a collaborator who already knows how to fly a larger UAV and understands some of the technical and legal hurdles to doing this successfully.

If you're the camera expert and they are the UAV expert, you can be a good team.

Here's an alternative idea if you just need to get landscape shots from a higher angle:

https://amzn.to/3hx7mbp

Othwerwise, I would plan on putting in an intensive 3 months training and maybe look at something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q25KJbsBkpQ

(which is somewhat dated, so may be purchased cheaper if that's the biggest constraint)... really I think this is very much kind of a dangerous thing if you're not ready for it.

https://store.freeflysystems.com/col...roducts/alta-x

Beware - these things could literally kill someone - even the kite - if you donk someone on the head - they're going to the hospital at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Othwerwise, I would plan on putting in an intensive 3 months training and maybe look at something like this:
    Did that!
    I am debating whether I'll go for a 2nd hand (but brand new) Matrice 600 for $3500, or a custom built one for about $2500
    Remember, being certified AND insured for liability, etc, doesn't prevent accidents, it just covers your ass. But you are required by law (in most countries) to do both.

If you are in LA, reach out to David Groves!!!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

I have seen Alta 6 go cheap on this forums classifieds. Was borderline for DSMC2 builds but for Komodo it should be perfect. But honestly your best bet is to hire out and let someone and their certs/insurance fly your rig while you do monitoring / focus / controls and let the client pay for the subcontract. By the time you invest heavily into a pro-grade drone (cost of a DSMC2 camera) it will soon be outdated and imagine breaking one at that cost. I still think used DJI Inspire 2 with X5s / X7s is the best way to go for smaller projects if you want to invest in drone gear and personal ownership. It lets you keep your RED safe on the ground and projects that required RED in the air I would hire a true professional.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    I still think used DJI Inspire 2 with X5s / X7s is the best way to go for smaller projects if you want to invest in drone gear and personal ownership. It lets you keep your RED safe on the ground and projects that required RED in the air I would hire a true professional.
    Over the last 2 years I've worked on mostly high end episodic TV. Every single drone unit has used the Inspire 2 (with multiple backups for when they crash one).

Thanks for thinking of me Gregory, but I have since let my UAV license go as I was doing it mostly for my own projects and eventually came around to the way Andrew Reese looks at it, if ur gonna just do it every once in a while for a project prob best to hire out as getting licensed is a pain you have to learn how to read weather and flight restrictions on airspace even stall on wing even though you don't have them etc. just to pass the test. Not to mention getting authorization to fly when I was doing it was a massive headache if you wanted to do it legally (I know some people who did it professionally who would still do it guerrilla style) I wasn't looking for a big fine or jail time just for flying a drone. Now that they have LAANC it may be easier to get clearance in the US but I've never used it. If you do want to get into it The inspire 2 is a real good option looks pretty good with the x7s next to red footage but if you just have to put a Komodo up in the air Matrice or Alta are the ones I'd look at.
    Red Raven #001827
    Hydrogen One Houdini #0058
    Canon 5DMKiii
    Canon EOS R
    Rokinon Cine DS Primes
    Digital Sputniks with Pixel Mapping, Hives, Quasars, Litepanels Gemini, Arri 750s
    Dji Ronin, Cloud Mount, Motion Control, Dana Dolly
    https://www.instagram.com/galacticowboy/
    https://www.twitch.tv/galacticowboy

We have a heavy lift drone company based here in New Zealand.

We will fly any camera or light or anything that our clients ask us to.

As others have said, the Inspire 2 with X7 is an amazing machine with an excellent result.

But, we pull out the Alta X or Alta 8 when DP's want to fly specific lenses (often Anamorphic) or cameras to match the rest of the project.

When we get the first enquiry for flying this new Komodo camera, our questions would be:

1. How is it powered? Can we use our existing Red power cables?

2. Is the lens control / camera record the same as other cameras? Can we use our existing wireless lens controls?

And that's about it. for flying the camera.

(As for the original question... there is no 'frugal' way to fly a heavy lift drone with a cinema camera. Once you start down that road, the costs just continue to rise...

http://www.overview.nz/
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com

Okay...

the most frugal way to get Komodo on a drone is to jerry-rig a lawnmower's engine and an ultralight rotor to an inverted ronin s and pray that ad hoc can give you a long enough monitoring signal to control your camera,

but in all seriousness, a matrice 600 with a ronin MX is what I run with my raven and c200 and I could not be happier. I know the MX was a failure for DJI but with the remote and a teradek with DJI control wheels, you have a great setup for anything from a DSLR all the way up to a DSMC!

but if strapping your baby dragon into a drone isn't for you, then the inspire 2 with an x7 or x5s is a great combo that I find grades very well alongside my Raven and Canon C cameras!

So as others have already stated. no sadly there really isn't a "frugal" way to get your baby dragon to fly :( and duct-taping your Komodo to a Mavic mini may not work out for you