Thread: Pluses of global shutter.

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Yes I totally agree with Brian as there really isn’t a reason to not want a global shutter, but as far as reasons to buy this camera, I would say that global shutter is just a nice upgrade. There are however, better reasons for me personally, such as size and form factor compared to dsmc2, also the rf Mount was the biggest selling feature for me
    DoP at Cortex Films
    Calgary, Alberta

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    The interlaced fields are not temporally offset. The resulting image is still time coherent.
    Really? Then why does interlaced footage (i.e. captured in a PAL or NTSC camera without progressive scan) exhibit all of the characteristics of HFR? I had a Mini DV camera that had progressive capture, although the footage had to be stored in an interlaced format on the tape for obvious reasons. That, I think, is what you're referring?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Anyone know if the Komodo's take timecode and genlock?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Myers View Post
    Anyone know if the Komodo's take timecode and genlock?
    Yes. Jarred teased a breakout box with traditional I/O for that.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I rejoiced at the death of tape recording media.
    I rejoiced at the death of interlaced video.
    I can't wait to rejoice at the death of rolling shutter!

Filmed a gorgeous extended lightning show with spooky dead trees in foreground only to find it unusable thanks to rolling shutter. I should have realized it at the time, but for some reason it didn't occur to me.

Now if we could find a way to kill HDMI in all forms, I'll die happy man.

Yes, HDMI needs to go away from professional equipment. It should have never been there in the first place, at least not on cameras. We can probably thank the “DSLR Revolution” for that one. No one that has been in this business longer than the “HDSLR” or that has been in “zero fail” type situations involving video going from the camera to somewhere else would argue/lobby for HDMI on a professional camera.

The global shutter should be a godsend for folk using long lenses for follows. With global shutter, an accidentally kicked tripod is just that. With rolling shutter, a carelessly hung toe on a tripod leg becomes a much more noticeable event. Please forgive the spots in the image. The lens is a Sigma 50-500mm f4-f6.3 zoom. They work like a vacuum cleaner and suck dust into themselves when the zoom is extended. The camera was Blackmagic's "big" URSA which shared a global shutter with the first BM4K ad the URSA Mini 4K. The band down the right frame edge was caused by a lens hood which went cockeyed on the front and I did not notice it. The clip was shot for the aircraft owner's flight test of a new smoke system which will replace marine flares carried in wingtip canisters.

Last edited by Robert Hart; 07-08-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    The global shutter should be a godsend for folk using long lenses for follows. With global shutter, an accidentally kicked tripod is just that. With rolling shutter, a carelessly hung toe on a tripod leg becomes a much more noticeable event. Please forgive the spots in the image. The lens is a Sigma 50-500mm f4-f6.3 zoom. They work like a vacuum cleaner and suck dust into themselves when the zoom is extended. The camera was Blackmagic's "big" URSA which shared a global shutter with the first BM4K ad the URSA Mini 4K. The band down the right frame edge was caused by a lens hood which went cockeyed on the front and I did not notice it. The clip was shot for the aircraft owner's flight test of a new smoke system which will replace marine flares carried in wingtip canisters.

A shaky image with global shutter will still be ruined, as the shake cause motion blur. So good tripod heads preferably with high geared wheels will still be the go to solution for long lenses. and following shots. But the jelly effect the rolling shutter effect will be cured which is a big plus.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    snip:
    Our kids (or grand kids) will dig the old rolling shutter fx when all cameras will have a global shutter. Some will even say it’s more cinematic. ;-)
    That's pretty good, you might be right , seems like every artifact of film cinematography was "cinematic".
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    snip:
    Three words.

High frequency vibration. Which at the moment will destroy footage from pretty much every camera on the market. Bad enough and it's actually not fixable in post even. If you've ever used an old 5D Mark II, roll on some stuff, and give the camera a good whack. Then try to stabilize and fix the footage.
    Since EOS R5 is the news of today - would IBIS alleviate the whack the camera problem? Or more likely smaller levels of bumping, vibration etc.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com