Thread: CFast 2.0 to SSD Adapter

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 CFast 2.0 to SSD Adapter 
    Since the bay door on the Komodo is able to be taken off has anyone looked into using an adapter to utilize cheaper storage material? I've found two adapters that go from CFast 2.0 to mSATA linked below. Anyone ever used these two or think they could be potentially viable with the Komodo? I know it won't be nearly as reliable but I'm sure more adapters will be made if people can make this work.
    Adapter 1
    Adapter 2

There's no reason not to adapt the SATA connection to alternative SSD storage. I'd want it to be without cables or rigging kludges though. I wonder who might be working on that... :)
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    There's no reason not to adapt the SATA connection to alternative SSD storage. I'd want it to be without cables or rigging kludges though. I wonder who might be working on that... :)

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Tsering View Post
    Since the bay door on the Komodo is able to be taken off has anyone looked into using an adapter to utilize cheaper storage material? I've found two adapters that go from CFast 2.0 to mSATA linked below. Anyone ever used these two or think they could be potentially viable with the Komodo? I know it won't be nearly as reliable but I'm sure more adapters will be made if people can make this work.
    Adapter 1
    Adapter 2
    Im thinking the key word in your post is "Cheeper Storage Material" My experience with memory or storage has been that you usually get what you pay for. And after looking in to all the adapters and then your going to still need some card reader to offload the SSD's. Man by the time you get it all your ducks in a row it seems cheeper to just buy a C-Fast card and minimize or eliminate the possibilities of ERRORS..
    Maybe Im missing something here but at the end of the day, I don't want to explain to a client or post that the reason there are dropped frames or issues with the clips is because we had this great little device that came out of the C-Fast port and then we taped or fixed a adapter to the side of the camera and then we used some cheeper SSD's etc etc etc. Point made.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    Im thinking the key word in your post is "Cheeper Storage Material" My experience with memory or storage has been that you usually get what you pay for. And after looking in to all the adapters and then your going to still need some card reader to offload the SSD's. Man by the time you get it all your ducks in a row it seems cheeper to just buy a C-Fast card and minimize or eliminate the possibilities of ERRORS..
    Maybe Im missing something here but at the end of the day, I don't want to explain to a client or post that the reason there are dropped frames or issues with the clips is because we had this great little device that came out of the C-Fast port and then we taped or fixed a adapter to the side of the camera and then we used some cheeper SSD's etc etc etc. Point made.
    C-Fast cards are 1$/gig at their cheapest. To get a solid running setup with one of these adapters and a 1tb samsung 850 ssd it'd still be around $600. This will be even cheaper the more ssd's you get since its around $350/tb of mSATA ssd. I agree with the potential for dropped frames and all that however this camera only lasts just over an hour with its current formats. I just hope alternatives to only CFast are made that are also reliable.

C-Fast cards are 1$/gig at their cheapest. To get a solid running setup with one of these adapters and a 1tb samsung 850 ssd it'd still be around $600. This will be even cheaper the more ssd's you get since its around $350/tb of mSATA ssd. I agree with the potential for dropped frames and all that however this camera only lasts just over an hour with its current formats. I just hope alternatives to only CFast are made that are also reliable.
    I get you about the cost. I mean when you can spend as much on memory as the camera your using for just one project it starts to make you shake your head.
    Id bet that it won't be to long before we see larger C-Fast cards then we have now. And there is 2 C-Fast ports on the Komodo. Just like memory in the past. I have a couple 8gb RED CF cards for my orignal RED One And I remember when the Redmags came out there was only up to 128's for a while so logic would say that its only a matter of time before we see 1.5 and larger CFast cards. And the cost will come down over time as well.
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com

Where did you see that there was two ports on the Komodo. Every picture I've seen has shown only one slot.

edit: There is actually only one, here's a photo from an unboxing.

If I do end up getting a CC or when I get the stormtrooper I hope to try the solid pod, I just think currently, Cfast tech is about to skyrocket with sizes as the Komodo and R5 are released. So I hope to start off with a 256gb cfast and a 1tb solidpod just to stay cost effective with Komodo as a b cam

Where did you see that there was two ports on the Komodo. Every picture I've seen has shown only one slot.

edit: There is actually only one, here's a photo from an unboxing.
    My bad sorry for some reason I thought there were 2 slots in there. Duel slot model coming next generation... Looks like you could squeeze another slot in there doesn't it?

Now wouldn't that be something??
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Burns View Post
    If I do end up getting a CC or when I get the stormtrooper I hope to try the solid pod, I just think currently, Cfast tech is about to skyrocket with sizes as the Komodo and R5 are released. So I hope to start off with a 256gb cfast and a 1tb solidpod just to stay cost effective with Komodo as a b cam
    R5 is supposed to be CFexpress & UHS SD.