Thread: Red DSMC2 Gemini - Shuts down after hitting Playback

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red DSMC2 Gemini - Shuts down after hitting Playback 
    When hitting Playback my camera suddenly shuts down and when starting up again it says "improper shut down...."

I´ve tried to remove and replace each hardware piece except for the Canon EF mount and then do the "Re-discover" following up with a "System restore" directly after, also formatting my SSD 960 mini mag but still have the same issue.

I think this is caused by the Wooden Camera Pogo to Pogo cable I was using with my Movi Pro. It worked soooooo bad and I powered the camera on and off for 20 times in a row. Next day this issue with playback button occurred.

I will NEVER use electronics from Wooden Camera anymore. The thing is, Red want me to send my DSMC2 Gemini in for repair. I can still shoot with it but can not playback any clip. I don't want to send it in because I have tons of work to do :SSSSS

Any other idea to solve my problem guys?

I run latest firmware on both brain and Mini Mag

THANKS A LOT

This is happening with the AC Adapter as well?

Sounds like a power related issue, perhaps something even shorted out.

But first thing to check is if you can jump in and out of playback with just wall power.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Do you have another mini mag? It looks more power related but if the
    Camera tries to access a corrupted mag it could cause errors as well. Mags can go wrong even if reformatted. You did use the secure format option, or?

Quote Originally Posted by David Wall View Post
    When hitting Playback my camera suddenly shuts down and when starting up again it says "improper shut down...."

I´ve tried to remove and replace each hardware piece except for the Canon EF mount and then do the "Re-discover" following up with a "System restore" directly after, also formatting my SSD 960 mini mag but still have the same issue.

I think this is caused by the Wooden Camera Pogo to Pogo cable I was using with my Movi Pro. It worked soooooo bad and I powered the camera on and off for 20 times in a row. Next day this issue with playback button occurred.

I will NEVER use electronics from Wooden Camera anymore. The thing is, Red want me to send my DSMC2 Gemini in for repair. I can still shoot with it but can not playback any clip. I don't want to send it in because I have tons of work to do :SSSSS

Any other idea to solve my problem guys?

I run latest firmware on both brain and Mini Mag

THANKS A LOT

I’ve had MULTIPLE MULTIPLE issues with these pieces (MOVI Pro + WC POGO) using a 7” RED Touch and a Helium.

I’ve wanted to do more experimenting (but zapping my camera for research isn’t such a fun idea) but in my case, the monitor would start glitching and the entire camera would freeze, fans would power down, but the camera was still “on”. This happens when powering over MOVI onboard, or from an external battery cable going into the AC port. I was able to narrow down to the same variable. The WC cable. I reported it in detail and their CS people confirmed lots of reports of the same issue but say the MOVI is supplying inadequate power. An interesting note, the problem seems most replicable when the monitor is nearest the top handle of the MOVI. If I’m hand-holding the monitor way off to the side the camera remains stable.
    Last edited by Austin Straub; 06-16-2020 at 05:01 PM.
    austinstraub.com | @austinstraub

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Do you have another mini mag? It looks more power related but if the
    Camera tries to access a corrupted mag it could cause errors as well. Mags can go wrong even if reformatted. You did use the secure format option, or?
    I don´t have another Red Mini Mag unfortunately. It can write without problem though... I have done the Secure format and normal format.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    This is happening with the AC Adapter as well?

Sounds like a power related issue, perhaps something even shorted out.

But first thing to check is if you can jump in and out of playback with just wall power.

It does not matter if I power with AC or battery (Have tried two different brands also). Same issue.

It feels like the camera does not have enough strength to playback, I also tested to record a 2K Pro Res recording but same issue when playback. I can see the clip for 1 milli sec (freezed frame) and then the camera dies.

The camera is 2 months old and RunTime 60 hours

Where are you? Any chance of finding a mini mag or popping into a rental store to try one for 5 minutes? If you have work lined up I would exclude the possibility of a faulty mag before sending the camera for repair, which could be a lengthy process...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Where are you? Any chance of finding a mini mag or popping into a rental store to try one for 5 minutes? If you have work lined up I would exclude the possibility of a faulty mag before sending the camera for repair, which could be a lengthy process...
    I will ask if Red.com can send me another Mag to try. I not allowed to travel and nearest rental house is 4 hours away. living in a small town in Sweden :S I've had a writing error before on the SSD. One random file was broken. Did not even notice it during the shoot, nothing was wrong before I realized it when off loading the footage.

When this happened to me its been power related most of the times. Maybe check your connectors between camera and power module. Spray them with connector spray. Run camera with nothing on it, If you have fool control run playback form there with not even screen connected. And yes test that with power from ac and power from battery. When running camera with to much accessories these things can show up.

If the above does not work do a factory reset of the camera or reinstall of the firmware. But dont forget to save your black shades or make new ones after the fact.

If the above does not solve it it might be a lime.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Straub View Post
    I was able to narrow down to the same variable. The WC cable.
    Thanks for this info, Austin. Another WC AKS that doesn't seem to play well with RED.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv