Thread: Anyone recommend any other software other than adobe premier for video editig

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anyone recommend any other software other than adobe premier for video editig 
    Is adobe premier the best for video editing for red files?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeAgazarian View Post
    Is adobe premier the best for video editing for red files?
    That depends on your complete workflow.

To add to Misha's point, depending on the hardware and desired workflow some common popular options are:

- Adobe Premiere Pro
    - Final Cut Pro
    - Avid
    - Resolve

There's a few others, but those make up the vast majority of what professionals use on a daily basis.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I don't understand how DaVinci Resolve isn't a no-brainer?

The free version is more than enough to dip your toes and the "paid" version is basically free ($299) since I bought mine around version 12 and have been able to update the same Dongle—and later: serial number—all the way up to the current version.

What I don't understand is how everyone seems to default to Premiere? It doesn't get shipped with anything, right? And I'm not buying for a second that everyone I hear use Premiere is paying the monthly subscription for the complete Creative Cloud suite.

Is it easy to hack on PCs? Is that it? But Resovle is free too, so....

There has to be 'that one thing' that I'm unaware of that everyone seems to want, because I seriously don't get it. I've asked before but I never got a real answer.

I use a combination of Resolve for grading and Lightworks for editing.
    Tried Lightworks when the first desktop beta version was released in 2010 and switched from Premiere. Never looked back.
    To me Resolve is a clunky editor. Premiere made it hard to work like I think.
    Lightworks workflow was designed by and for feature film editors. It has been around as long as Avid.
    It is the only one that doesn’t lock you in to a rigid two window UI that is a relic of linear assembly tape editing suites. The newer versions have that option too so it is easier for newbies to learn the basics.
    But the classic flexible multi-window desktop interface is a real joy for me as are the media management tools.
    Most efficient long form editor there is IMO.
    A British editor posted his experience editing a weekly BBC series that shot alternating weeks with different production teams. One team used Avid, the other Lightworks. The Avid cut would take him six hours or so. Lightworks only took two hours.

+1 AndreeMarkefors

I've been on Resolve for many years. It's the best and it's free. Hard combination to ignore. I tell everyone I work with to try it out.

I taught digital editing since the late 90's and have built and worked on all the systems, including the original Lightworks. I think Premiere is still a first stop for many people because of Adobe's huge market reach. It's not crashy like it was once known for being, but to me it is the least intuitive of all the workflows. I think editing can be intimidating to get started in and people naturally gravitate to the biggest known player for support. Unfortunately Premiere's UI can reinforce that intimidation more than help overcome it.

Another big factor was how well the software works with Red files, but at this point they all do.

Lots of bang for no bucks, Resolve is hard to beat. Takes pretty serious hardware to run it though.

Senior Member Adrian Weinbrecht's Avatar
    +1 Resolve

Nothing is perfect, but Resolve is robust and just keeps getting better.

However it all depends on what you want to do....

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    What I don't understand is how everyone seems to default to Premiere?
    For me, the answer is yes, I have the full Creative Cloud Suite, and use Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Adobe Media Encoder, Audition, Lightroom, XD, etc.
    I own Final Cut but have never used it. I'd like to to try Resolve at some point.

Resolve is getting better and better but many have used Premiere long before Resolve changed to become a viable NLE. I guess you use what you're good at.

But Adobe and Apple are driving me crazy lately. I got the new 16 MBP and so switched to Catalina. I have never had a flakier experience than Adobe Products and Catalina. Crashing all the time. Every new update of CC and I hope they fixed the crashing. Nope.

I have the complete Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. For $55/month I get all the software I need for pretty much everything I do professionally. Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Media Encoder and Audition all get my love on a regular basis). Premiere on Windows 10 is pretty stable for me, and it's nice to have it be cross-platform with Mac as well.

But if all you need is a program that edits video, the free version of Resolve can't be beat.
    Jaime Vallés

AJV Media
    Video, photography & graphic design
    www.ajvmedia.com