Thread: Anyone recommend any other software other than adobe premier for video editig

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You can open the same file in the free and paid version on any platform, Mac, Windows or Linux. If your client has a identical drive you can email project files for review. And you save time when going to color correction. You just need to conform the footage to originals if the editor is working from dailies.
    check out this video about a feature doc edited on Resolve https://lumaforge.com/customer-stori...n-moving-parts.

Mark Toia has an opinion about this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoDiBgprMR/

P.S. He's not exactly pleased with Adobe today.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    I don't understand how
    It's a bit of a difficult thing to examine in more abstract ways but our industry is constantly evolving. There was a time when Avid was the "#1" NLE in the world, but with the release of Final Cut and Premiere becoming rather good and a smidge quicker to receive meaningful updates the world's motion picture workflow has changed. Resolve is the new guy in town as an NLE still and aggressively gaining steam due to it's low entry cost. So don't worry, it will be more present in many workflows.

When it comes to the industry and setting up editorial pipelines as studios and other similar architecture it often takes time to navigate towards a change. At the moment Premiere Pro is the most widely used NLE in the world, but that doesn't mean people aren't using the other options, it just means at a certain point Adobe took the lead. Ironically or not, this was a bit due to Creative Cloud and a few things that happened before it. The mega delay between Final Cut 7 and X largely played a roll here as well, but also Final Cut is still an exclusive to Apple product while Adobe works in both worlds.

Resolve is doing well lately. i'm using it more and more. Some stuff could use some tending to when it comes to the ins and outs of editing workflows, but I suspect shortly we'll see it probably take over.

Though Adobe seems to be making some bigger overhauls lately, and by lately, I mean this week.

Time will tell who will be #1 in the industry in NLEs next year, the year after, 5 years from now, etc. What I can safely say is all of the NLEs have some pretty glaring strengths and weaknesses and some stuff that makes each somewhat uniquely attractive to an editor. When I see a full time editor work at full speed it's somewhat like watching a piano player who's been playing on the same 88 key piano for years. It's fast, effortless, and actually usually a wonderful thing to experience. It's hard making a switch to an accordion which also uses keys and makes music if you are that adapted and comfortable with a workflow. Even more notable is if you are a full time editor at a studio you'll be using whatever they designed their pipeline around.

All of those reasons are why I don't have just one program I use for pretty much anything. Not NLEs, not for color, not for comp, and not for 3D. I have stuff I enjoy using more than others for sure, but the day not knowing a program intimately excludes me from professional work is the day I learn that program fully.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

If you work on the Mac platform then, IMO, hands down, the best solution is Final Cut Pro X. And, if you are new to editing and, therefore, don't have to "unlearn" anything from other NLEs, it's easy to learn, fast to master and very powerful. If you want to speed up your learning, get some tutorials from Ripple Training (or others) - and there are lots of free introductory things, as well.

Right now, Apple offers a free 90 day trial. Otherwise, it's $299 (one time). I bought it in 2011 for that price and haven't paid another dime since. People will try to tell you it isn't "pro" - which is complete nonsense. Hollywood feature films, Academy Award winners and shit tons of TV series have been and continue to be cut on it. Give it a sincere try and you'll never go back.

As an aside, I might hold off on buying any tutorials for a little while as the app is due for an upgrade any day now and there will probably be new ones coming when that happens.

And - if I am not mistaken - Toia is a big FCPX fan.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Lots of bang for no bucks, Resolve is hard to beat. Takes pretty serious hardware to run it though.
    I often edit 8k monstro files on my 2013 macbook in resolve without issues. Explain why it would need serious hardware?

As I see it Resolve is the best option especially if you also consider its built in grading capabilities and also the fusion compositing bit. Simply put premiere, FCPX and the other might be great as a editing platform but it stands short when it comes to grading and compositing and also sound editing.

Its difficult to fully learn any of these platforms. Even more difficult to learn a few. If you learn how to use premiere you still need to dip into one or more apps to do your grading and compositing.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Resolve. I've been using it since the original BMCC 2.5K came out and I still use the same Resolve Studio USB dongle.

I went from FCP -> Premiere -> Resolve + Premiere -> Resolve.
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I often edit 8k monstro files on my 2013 macbook in resolve without issues. Explain why it would need serious hardware?
    It needs serious NVidia hardware because of the different memory handling compared to Metal or OpenCL.
    It's pretty easy to get the GPU out of memory error with 6..8k footage with a 11 GB NVidia card running CUDA where a 6 GB AMD card running OpenCL won't run out of memory with 8k footage in Resolve.

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test...I---Die-P.html

This is not an issue they(NVidia and/or BMD) can fix, it's how CUDA's memory handling works.
    The alternative is to use super fast VRAM like AMD did with the Radeon VII to get similar(or better) performance as the high end CUDA cards(RTX Titan, RTX Quadro 6000/8000).

I go with a rather simple philosophy that has been around for a long time. Use the tool that gets the job done. In my opinion, there is no best, there's only different. If just starting out, I highly recommend learning them all, get really good at the ones that you find suit your needs and over time it becomes apparent what the strengths and weaknesses are. I find that right now I use FCPX for about 90% of my work, whereas five years ago that was Avid. It's not that Avid is bad, it's just the work I'm doing right now, FCPX suits my needs. Also I spend a lot of time in Resolve, mostly for color. But will edit occasionally too. But, if I need to edit a feature film (which might be happening in the near future), then I'll switch over to Avid for that. Adobe kind of lost me over the past few years, but no need to go into that. And I would still recommend for certain workflows.

But as Phil mentioned earlier, when you see someone who can really fly on an editing system it's seriously impressive. That's why i kind of smile when I see people say Avid is an old, clunky, dinosaur of an NLE. When you see some of the top notch editors work on their Avids it's just awesome. They have everything so dialed in, the machine gets out of the way and they are just cruising through the edits, thoughts translated to action so quickly. I get extremely jealous when around these people. And I've been on Avid since 1995. :-) And that can happen on any NLE. There are amazing, extremely fast editors on all of these platforms. They are just good at what they do. So, for the original poster, find what works best for you, explore the way they work, find what gets you excited to sit down and edit.
    Steve Sherrick

+2 AndreeMarkefors

I had the CC Suite, but the extras beyond Photoshop were Acrobat and Premiere. About four years ago I worked with FCPX and liked that. But I'm a Windows user so no go beyond that project. I finally got fed up at $55 a month and tried editing with Resolve. At that point it wasn't the money that changed my mind, I just found Resolve easier to use and I was editing faster. Now I pay Adobe $10 a month for the Photography package (ACR/PS). Resolve feels to me like the ease I felt with FCPX back in the day. But yeah, like others are saying, I think it as much to do with how you work, etc. No single package is perfect.

You guys are all awesome!! I really appreciate all your feed backs thank you! 🙏🙏🙏