Thread: Hats on set

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Hats on set 
    Kind of a silly question-- but why not?

Was gonna replace the plain vanilla cotton ball cap I usually have with me on set, am considering trying one of these technical fabric models that are supposed to wick away sweat and keep your head cool (REI, Arc'teryx, Columbia, etc. make them. I think they're designed with hiking or running in mind). I'm not a hat guy in general, but use them when working to keep sweat out of my eyes, and the brim is sometimes good for keeping overhead lights out of my eyes. They're also handy for shading a monitor and even occasionally blocking flare from the lens.

Anyone have any particular recommendations in this area? What do you guys like?

(Obviously, the general rule is that you want something with a cool equipment logo. But those are usually traditional sweaty caps. And stills in American Cinematographer tell me that for extended periods shooting outside, you want something very silly looking with a big brim.)

Generally not a hat guy. They get in the way, BUT if I'm going to be outside in the hot sun in the summer for a long time, sometimes I will wear a boonie hat.

Iím a hat guy, I shoot ski stuff and whenever Iím hiking or posted up in the sun Iíll rock a hat. Iíll usually fold it up on itself and stick it in a pocket so Iíll always have it ready to go. I donít get too techy. Just a cotton 5 panel style. If itís really a long day or spring time Iíll wear a Patagonia sun hoody long sleeve shirt. The hood hat combo gives about the best protection Iíve found though the shirt is a little hot for high temps.

My personal favorite is the classic Tilley hat. Used to be made of cotton canvas, but now they have high tech fabric options. They have a layer of foam insulation in a top pocket with front and back wind cords for windy conditions.
    https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm2-airflo-hat.html

+ 1 on the Tilley Hat. It was given to me by Alex Tilly the founder while shooting a commercial for him. I have an original it's been all over the world with me. They are guarantied for life and Tilley offered to replace mine since its so worn but it has character and it's been with me for so long. Originally designed as a sailing hat so the straps keep it on even in the wind. Love my Tilly.
    Epic Dragon 4470,
    Sony Fx9
    Sony a7rII
    Contax Zeiss Primes
    DanaDolly
    tedparkes@rogers.com

Let me put in a good word for Shelta Hats. The brims come in a variety of widths, so you can right-size the hat based on how much protection you need vs. the interference you don't want. The no-flop brim gives you the best of the ballcap, while the advanced materials give you other benefits. Worth a look!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"