Thread: KOMODO Access for Review

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 KOMODO Access for Review 
    Hey Guys - apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. As the business manager for Newsshooter.com I'm trying to request/register interest for access to a KOMODO for review by Matthew Allard ACS.

Matt is a very respected cinematographer and his reviews are generally quite well respected for their comprehensiveness, objectivity and real-world relevance, and often are in the top few Google results (if not top). So really there's no downside for a manufacturer that is confident in their equipment. I've tried to reach out to Jared Land via LinkedIn and also RED's official press/PR channels via their website but it's been a few weeks and no response.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers but genuinely wondering if there's anyone that can assist with a loan/hire/purchase of a camera to facilitate our review? While it's not ideal, we don't mind buying cameras to review so that we can have early access and can maintain independence. But obviously it should be the final production version so that Matt's findings are representative of what a retail customer can expect.

Many thanks and any advice greatly appreciated!

Hey Scott,

To my understanding there is no such thing as a final production version yet of Komodo, hardware perhaps, but software is still very much in development phase. You may have already seen some early access already out there to a handful of cinematographers but that is mostly for testing purposes to my knowledge, not for final review. RED's approach with Komodo's development has been very transparent which may have made it seem like it's already shipping final production units, but that is still several months off from what I can gather.

A review now is worthless short of click bait in my personal opinion, we've already seen some of this content from people who haven't even seen the camera in person. A review relatively soon however is priceless.

Jarred has been alarmingly transparent during all this, but without certain things being finalized and/or implemented (like closer to final autofocus performance) it's sort of only going to be a half review, probably more accurately labelled as a preview. Right now the focus seems to be accelerated development and opening RED back up safely. Here in the states we're still battling the pandemic and all these early cameras are really home grown. The president of a camera company and a small handful of people powder coating and assembling these early cameras highlights sort of the skeleton crew it took to push the early bodies out.

Don't worry. I know you guys and Matt. The right time is coming relatively soon. Maybe I'll zip down under for some refuge and show you my orange boy. I suspect nearer to Storm Troopers and/or Production Black cams is the sweet spot you really want when it comes to review timeline. RED Control just dropped very recently.

Lots coming, more importantly lots being refined. More boards to hammer down.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Ryan and Phil! Yeah I wasn't across the development but that absolutely makes sense. Always good to put your hand up early though, and Phil we appreciate the offer mate. Always welcome down here or I'm sure in Japan with Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    A review now is worthless short of click bait in my personal opinion, we've already seen some of this content from people who haven't even seen the camera in person. A review relatively soon however is priceless.

Jarred has been alarmingly transparent during all this, but without certain things being finalized and/or implemented (like closer to final autofocus performance) it's sort of only going to be a half review, probably more accurately labelled as a preview. Right now the focus seems to be accelerated development and opening RED back up safely. Here in the states we're still battling the pandemic and all these early cameras are really home grown. The president of a camera company and a small handful of people powder coating and assembling these early cameras highlights sort of the skeleton crew it took to push the early bodies out.

Don't worry. I know you guys and Matt. The right time is coming relatively soon. Maybe I'll zip down under for some refuge and show you my orange boy. I suspect nearer to Storm Troopers and/or Production Black cams is the sweet spot you really want when it comes to review timeline. RED Control just dropped very recently.

Lots coming, more importantly lots being refined. More boards to hammer down.
    Too right Phil!
    Actually, a review by someone who is well versed in the ins and outs of the camera, along with a final firmware is going to be the only one worth watching.
    I for one will watch it to see if I missed on any features on my Stormtrooper (or Bye Bye Blue, if that happens) even though I am known for really digging into the manual and menus from the start...

Anyway, A review my Matt and Phil would be awesome, when the time is right. :)
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser