Thread: Rigging up a Red One MX in 2020

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Rigging up a Red One MX in 2020 
    I've heard from several people that it couldn't be done, but I think I've finally "tamed" my camera using a lot of stuff that wasn't around in 2009-2011 (thank you, SmallRig). This build is the result of a LOT of experimentation. My goal was to find something that could go from tripod to shoulder and back again with ease. This isn't going to be ideal for hours of continuous handheld work because the QR plate rests directly on my shoulder (or rather, on a jacket hood pulled to one side) but for my style of narrative it should be enough. I tried both dovetail and VCT options and they raised the camera too much for my tastes.

The first two photos are handheld mode, and the second two are tripod mode. The PortKeys high-bright monitor slides forward and down while battery slides out a few inches back for balance. I borrowed Matthias Burling's idea for the single handgrip and I've mapped Custom Functions 1 and 2 to changing ISO. The aperture is on the lens and I don't really need to change the white balance or shutter often. If I do, I can slide the battery backwards to access the controls.

The whole rig weighs 17.5lb without a lens.

Love it Nick! So great to see someone rocking the R1.
    Steve Sherrick

Thanks, Steve. IMO the R1 still produces one of the nicest images around (in my opinion), and it's been nice to have something to tinker with while on lockdown.

You're a hero! Was looking for exactly this kind of setup. I've just bought an old R1MX - after looking at all the other cameras on offer. Nothing within the price range comes close to the CINEMATIC image quality of this beast. I've already got a Shogun inferno and some batteries, so literally just need to buy the redmags. BTW can you display camera setup info through the HDMI/SDI cable? Cheers!
    Last edited by Rehan Malik; 10-04-2020 at 10:07 PM.

The footage has a distinctive look to it that I really like. Makes it worth putting up with the workarounds! You can display camera menus and settings on some 3rd party monitors. This is a good thread to find out and document which monitors are working: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...tor-list/page6

Please add your own findings, and consider joining the Red One MX group on Facebook as well.

where is the Red One group on facebook?

I'm currently looking at different setups for my RED One MX and so far I've gone with it on a fluid head and currently adjusting everything for a nice shoulder rig that I can lug around without getting too much of a sore shoulder, or back for that matter!

Here is the tripod and handheld setup for those interested - Note handheld setup needs some more, mostly my arm strength

https://www.dropbox.com/home/RED%20O...123_105114.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/home/RED%20O...200128_637.jpg
    Last edited by Sebastian Oakley; 01-29-2021 at 02:32 AM.

I would love to have and 1MX one day. There is something about this camera.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss & Voigtänder Glass

10. #10 Loved that camera. . . 
    I really miss my RED Ones. . .

I don't regret selling them when I did, because they dropped like a stone not long after I sold them (especially the first two), but I'm telling you. . . that MX is a killer sensor. I still love every image we made with that camera.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.