Thread: A controversial Komodo topic - Footage and DP's

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Much ado about nothing ... with a pinch of pretentiousness.

Komodo seems to do strange things to people - can't wait until everybody has one.

Black please! :))

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    I don't think anyone needs to panic.

RED is unusual, yes, in that they don't hand out their first 10 cameras to the likes of Roger Deakins.

Instead, they gave them to real users with different needs.

Ie what you are seeing then is real footage, shot by real people.

Not slick commercials that only shows the good, and never the bad.

Think about that - there's a confidence there we haven't quite seen before.

RED is almost daring these beta testers to "break" the camera and the sensor.

And I'll admit, I've been impressed by lots of the test footage, for reasons that aren't always obvious.

For example:

1) The global shutter is real.

2) The small body appears to work well (there's an intimacy to holding such a light weight camera)

3) The internal mic sounds better than expected

4) Fans appear to be quiet (we've heard no complaints so far).

5) The image looks GOOD - it's clean, the color is there, it's just very solid.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about, honestly...
    Nick, do you know what kind of pilots TEST FLY Raptor F22 or Airbus 350???

Thank god for the moderators in here and out there!
    It's a tough and mostly thankless job. Speaking from experience ;)

As David already put it, it's how the camera can deal with the tough shit. How, the resulting footage can either save or ruin a project when all things go south in a shoot. And from my experience, that's more often the case.
    Everything from Philip's pups, to Jason's ceiling fan and some of Tim's forest shots are in less than ideal conditions. But it shows how this (as of yet still pre-production) camera can handle the tough jobs and still deliver.
    Phil's shoot at closer to a controlled studio environment shows that there's a lot of potential and we have a really versatile little beast in our hands!
    Cannot wait to receive mine and get creative!!!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vrozina View Post
    Nick, do you know what kind of pilots TEST FLY Raptor F22 or Airbus 350???
    Only the bravest, toughest souls are worthy. Men of steel, and with reckless abandon.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I don't really understand this? Are the images so far released not enough to make a judgment?

We have some footage under uncontrolled situations and we have Phil's chart/face shot showing a controlled situation. Coupled with all the spec information we have and the ability to play around with the R3Ds themselves should be more than enough to make a judgment about whether or not the camera is enough for the specific jobs you do.

What we don't know much about is the shooting experience, how it performs while working, boot times, handling, ease of use etc. etc. That should be much more important than the image as we should expect the image to be good enough for professional use.

The question of whether or not the image quality is "good" has in my opinion become an irrelevant question on modern cameras. They are all good enough. I'm not sure what it is that people look for when a new camera is announced nowadays? Rarely do I see actual productions looking bad whatever the option they used. If they look bad they look bad because the people using these cameras are bad cinematographers or directors.

Based on the footage released and the specs we know, ignoring the physical performance on set, Komodo is more than enough for probably the majority of productions done today, even on a high budget scale. If the performance is reliable and robust (primarily in terms of being better than other cameras like the Pocket 6K in that area), it will be worth every dollar put into it and be a superb independent and short film camera as an A-cam.

I don't understand what people are worried about? The image quality for a global shutter sensor blows every other camera in this price range out of the water. Just get it and do something with it, focus on the art, it will probably be a better camera than most people can manage anyway.

As for the existence of feature film footage we have "Let Them All Talk" to look forward too and that was shot on a very early prototype version, so if that's not enough for people I don't know what will be.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Only the bravest, toughest souls are worthy. Men of steel, and with reckless abandon.

WRONG AGAIN.

A test pilot must be able to:
    Understand a test plan;
    Stick to a test plan, flying a plane in a highly specific way;
    Carefully document the results of each test;
    Have an excellent feel for the aircraft, and sense exactly how it is behaving oddly if it is doing so;
    Solve problems quickly if anything goes wrong with the aircraft during a test;
    Cope with many different things going wrong at once.
    Effectively communicate flight test observations to engineers and relate engineering results to the pilot community, thus bridging the gap between those who design and build aircraft with those who employ the aircraft to accomplish a mission.

WRONG AGAIN.

A test pilot must be able to:
    Understand a test plan;
    Stick to a test plan, flying a plane in a highly specific way;
    Carefully document the results of each test;
    Have an excellent feel for the aircraft, and sense exactly how it is behaving oddly if it is doing so;
    Solve problems quickly if anything goes wrong with the aircraft during a test;
    Cope with many different things going wrong at once.
    Effectively communicate flight test observations to engineers and relate engineering results to the pilot community, thus bridging the gap between those who design and build aircraft with those who employ the aircraft to accomplish a mission.
    My dear, I understand the need to be right and prove everyone wrong, but this is a whole other ball game.

This camera is intended for a less than ideal use case scenario, where everything goes off script and you are still expected to pull decent footage off of the wreckage.
    To equate it to your test pilot-aircraft analogy, this is like handing the aircraft to a highly proficient psycho pilot on crack with a crate full of explosives and telling them to go nuts!

First thing I am going to shoot is strapped on the back of neighbours' dog while they let it go chase a frisbee at the park. Then throw the footage to Syntheyes and hit Auto.
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    My dear, I understand the need to be right and prove everyone wrong, but this is a whole other ball game.

This camera is intended for a less than ideal use case scenario, where everything goes off script and you are still expected to pull decent footage off of the wreckage.
    To equate it to your test pilot-aircraft analogy, this is like handing the aircraft to a highly proficient psycho pilot on crack with a crate full of explosives and telling them to go nuts!

First thing I am going to shoot is strapped on the back of neighbours' dog while they let it go chase a frisbee at the park. Then throw the footage to Syntheyes and hit Auto.
    How many hours do you spend on this forum every day? How many posts do you post on average every day here? How many posts in total have you posted on this Komodo forum so far? I am amazed, hope you have some other hobbies.

How many hours do you spend on this forum every day? How many posts do you post on average every day here? How many posts in total have you posted on this Komodo forum so far? I am amazed, hope you have some other hobbies.
    If it helps, I moderate two other forums, one of which is for VFX.
    I also do Technical Support for an AR app I co-designed and in my spare time I shot and edited one corporate and two short film projects in the past week.

But all this is irrelevant as I rarely sleep and my 48 hour day schedule is divided into 3 timezones.

#ModeratorLifeFTW

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot (and she'd kill me if I did) I also shoot and edit almost all content for the social media account of my significant other.

In short, I don't know how many hours I spend here, it feels like a second home since 2007 (Thanks Jim and Jarred!)

But we are going off on a tangent here, the topic is "do these DPs have the Right Stuff to test the baby dragon and do you think you'd do a better job? If so, why?"
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    If it helps, I moderate two other forums, one of which is for VFX.
    I also do Technical Support for an AR app I co-designed and in my spare time I shot and edited one corporate and two short film projects in the past week.

But all this is irrelevant as I rarely sleep and my 48 hour day schedule is divided into 3 timezones.

#ModeratorLifeFTW

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot (and she'd kill me if I did) I also shoot and edit almost all content for the social media account of my significant other.

In short, I don't know how many hours I spend here, it feels like a second home since 2007 (Thanks Jim and Jarred!)

But we are going off on a tangent here, the topic is "do these DPs have the Right Stuff to test the baby dragon and do you think you'd do a better job? If so, why?"
    OK.
    In my opinion. for work you have done here, if i was in charge of RED, i would give you KOMODO for free when it is 100% ready for sale. You deserve it.