Thread: Social Media Narcissism - What do you think?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald MJ Anderson View Post
    I worry when I see creators start tailoring their content for an audience that has misrepresented itself.

I know plenty people who misrepresent their political and environmental opinions on social media to gain either social acceptance or because its good for business. A number of my friends are either the public face of, or play a part in the PR of their business. What they tell me is their online persona is fake. Fake political views. Fake environmental views. The goal is to be as similar to the customer as they can even though they are aware the customer is likely misrepresenting themselves as well.

On a more dangerous level, politicians are making policy based on what they think is a consensus of opinion on social media - when in actuality that consensus can not be trusted.
    Your first point is sad, your second is scary. Cheers Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Donald MJ Anderson View Post
    I worry when I see creators start tailoring their content for an audience that has misrepresented itself.

I know plenty people who misrepresent their political and environmental opinions on social media to gain either social acceptance or because its good for business. A number of my friends are either the public face of, or play a part in the PR of their business. What they tell me is their online persona is fake. Fake political views. Fake environmental views. The goal is to be as similar to the customer as they can even though they are aware the customer is likely misrepresenting themselves as well.

On a more dangerous level, politicians are making policy based on what they think is a consensus of opinion on social media - when in actuality that consensus can not be trusted.
    Pretty typical "human condition" actually. Growing up in the communist country the "conformists" were the most zealous in their ideological statements as they were afraid to be busted for who they really were but also more greedy for the perks that came from the political compliance. They also did not know where was the "enought' so they over-compensated just in case. I suspect that most business leaders out there , big and small oh so vocal about the current events on social media are just that , small minded greedy characters with no integrity. The politicians ship sailed a long time ago, they are irrelevant for all practical purposes and the latest Covid actions are the best example of how they try very hard to stay relevant.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I think you need to keep your personal and business 'social identities' separate.

Different 'rules' apply to the different persona.

Social media for a business is just a 'shop-front'. Though the waters do get muddied when some peoples 'business' is playing/exploiting the social-media system and when it's their 'personality' they're selling.

For most people, it's better to think of yourself as an employee of your own company, and act accordingly on social media.

I don't see anything narcissistic in maintaining a public-facing side to your business on social media.

Making the occasional announcement when you have some new equipment in or new services to offer is just letting potential customers know what you can do.

Same with the occasional announcement about your old/standard services/capabilities.

I think one thing that making regular announcements on social media, about where you're at and what you've been doing, is good for, is providing a kind of 'proof of life' for you and your business, just so people know you're still there and ready/willing to work for them.

Where the line could get blurred though, is if the social media aspect of your business also becomes an avenue for expressing your own personal interests/wants/desires/beliefs. It can be more difficult to see that separation (or accept it) when you kind of live for your job and it's something you really enjoy doing.

And in fact, that's what some people strive for, the total opposite of the kind of personal/professional separation I'm recommending here. And maybe that's good for some people, but for some people it won't be.

In any case, I think it should be a choice people get to make for themselves. You don't have to do it.

I think the close personal/business belief associations that have eroded the economy has to do with the millennials "social cause" business aspect (which I'm not even sure exists for real other than the social media claims).
    I think is bonkers and will never work for a real business. There is no way to build a solid business foundation on fads and trends. One is prone to miss the timing eventually and ruin their business.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    I think you need to keep your personal and business 'social identities' separate.

Different 'rules' apply to the different persona.

Social media for a business is just a 'shop-front'. Though the waters do get muddied when some peoples 'business' is playing/exploiting the social-media system and when it's their 'personality' they're selling.

For most people, it's better to think of yourself as an employee of your own company, and act accordingly on social media.

I don't see anything narcissistic in maintaining a public-facing side to your business on social media.

Making the occasional announcement when you have some new equipment in or new services to offer is just letting potential customers know what you can do.

Same with the occasional announcement about your old/standard services/capabilities.

I think one thing that making regular announcements on social media, about where you're at and what you've been doing, is good for, is providing a kind of 'proof of life' for you and your business, just so people know you're still there and ready/willing to work for them.

Where the line could get blurred though, is if the social media aspect of your business also becomes an avenue for expressing your own personal interests/wants/desires/beliefs. It can be more difficult to see that separation (or accept it) when you kind of live for your job and it's something you really enjoy doing.

And in fact, that's what some people strive for, the total opposite of the kind of personal/professional separation I'm recommending here. And maybe that's good for some people, but for some people it won't be.

In any case, I think it should be a choice people get to make for themselves. You don't have to do it.
    Hey Les, you make some really, really good points here. Yep my work/personal accounts are separate (I barely have an online personal presence as that's for my life lol), most of my contributions online are in my role at work. I think a big part of it is providing value for others (advertising services/capabilities fits that I think as it's letting your audience, potential clients, know what you can do for them). As I said in the video I can't pin this down, there's no line. But I can reflect on plenty of my own posts (not all) and if I'm honest it's just seeking attention without much substance. I'd just like to provide more substance going forward - whether that be information (about our offerings), educational (around gear or filmmaking) or entertainment (or infotainment) - original content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    Pretty typical "human condition" actually. Growing up in the communist country the "conformists" were the most zealous in their ideological statements as they were afraid to be busted for who they really were but also more greedy for the perks that came from the political compliance. They also did not know where was the "enought' so they over-compensated just in case. I suspect that most business leaders out there , big and small oh so vocal about the current events on social media are just that , small minded greedy characters with no integrity. The politicians ship sailed a long time ago, they are irrelevant for all practical purposes and the latest Covid actions are the best example of how they try very hard to stay relevant.
    What country might that be?

Enjoyed your video Dean. Good words to consider.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    EPIC-M DRAGON #1058 "Little Ben" http://www.eleventhhourmotionpictures.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Enjoyed your video Dean. Good word to consider.
    Cheers Robert